Exicon lateral MOSFETs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
you might want to pm opc, he's using lateral mosfets diffused by the same mob in his 'the wire' power amp (there are others that are identical to the exicon under different names) so he will have done quite a lot of legwork around the place to make sure a decent source for them was available and could probably help you out

devices diffused by the same fab that did the exicon (Semefab) are proFet, Class D (has nothing to do with class D), Magnatec etc etc. like i said contact opc, he'll be able to point you in the right direction. going by the specs they are all pretty much the same, there are 2 types single and dual devices for the higher power parts. lexicon are the only ones that i have seen in the metal can though

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Check the thread - Lineup had them right at the start, I believe. Since these are Semelab chips (Alfet brand) you may find the models there, at Magnatech or other distributor brandings, if not at Profusion's site. With the one Fab source and similar codes, there isn't much room for confusion.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'm a bit suspicious of their agency arrangements now. Since only Exicon is missing from the Profusion site and Farnell/Element14/Newark only offer Magnetech product with full Semelab authorisation and the legacy TO3 variants too, we could be looking at ALF08N20V and ALF08P20V plus the 160V suffix types ...N16V & ...P16V. Same parts - different brand and distributor.

Here in Oz, it means a few $$ saved on local retail of Exicon parts.

......exicon are the only ones that i have seen in the metal can though

obviously i meant Exicon, (aaarrgghh it just 'fixed' it again!!) this forums spellcheck thing is really starting to **** me right off. anyone know how i can turn the auto spellcheck off so it just highlights the errors rather than 'correcting' them without asking? we use so much jargon here that its a real pita

I'm a bit suspicious of their agency arrangements now. Since only Exicon is missing from the Profusion site and Farnell/Element14/Newark only offer Magnetech product with full Semelab authorisation and the legacy TO3 variants too, we could be looking at ALF08N20V and ALF08P20V plus the 160V suffix types ...N16V & ...P16V. Same parts - different brand and distributor.

Here in Oz, it means a few $$ saved on local retail of Exicon parts.

haha thats the first time i think I've seen the phrase '$$ saved' and Farnell/element14 used in the same sentence :p. their pricing like everything else they sell will be marked up majorly, not many units needed to cover the international shipping

Profusion in the UK are out of EXC10N20R until Jan-Feb, though Dalbani have them at a higher price of £3.99 in tens. Profusion do have stocks of the TO-3 ECF10N20 but they are £4.36 in tens.

Profusion do have stocks of the EXC08N16-Z without zener protection - more economical at £2.61 for tens.

I'm not familiar with using Mosfets (tubes is my thing) but want to buy some lateral Mosfets to try in a circuit like the Ciuffoli's Circlotron or Susan Parker's Zeus. If I bought the non-zener parts would there be any compromise in performance and what type of external zener would you suggest?

Andy

Fit an external gate to source Zener. It is shown on many schematics and is usually shown in the datasheet where an integrated Zener is not included.

This way you can choose your own Zener voltage and add the diode to prevent reverse current flow.

Worth adding the external diode, drain to source, for back emf protection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.