JBL 5234A vs 5234 Frequency dividing networks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All, I'm building some JBL 4345 clones, and am thinking of bi-amping them.

The JBL brochure for the 4345 recommends the JBL 5234A Frequency Dividing Network for the job.

I have come upon a 5234 F.D.N., ( no "A"-older model?), but it looks different, and I believe it may have fixed crossover points, whereas the 4345A uses modules that are hard to find, but can be set to the desired frequency crossover points.

The crossover points for the JBL 4345 are: LOW 290 Hz, Mid 1.3 kHz, High: 10 kHz.

Any recommendations?

Also, does anyone know of any reasonably priced alternatives to the stock 4345 passive crossover networks?

JBL 4345/ JBL 5234a Bi-amping

Hello....I'm new to posting on these sites but I am in the same boat as you are regarding the crossover for the JBL4345 monitors. I have a mint pair and just purchased some pass 60.5 mono amps, new preamp, phono, the whole chibang! But I have the 5234 crossover without the correct cards....to make it more frustrating I also have a pair of JBL4435 monitors that use the same network crossover but different cards! I will say that once I changed from my vintage McIntosh tube amps to Pass Class A amps it was like the 4345s just came alive! I first purchased the Pass XA-30.5 and it was probably all I needed for the 4345s but I am waiting on the XA-60.5 mono-blocks, they have another set of outputs ran in parallel for bi-amping but I don't have my hopes too high. I'm thinking of keeping the XA-30.5 for HF and XA-60.5 for LF but I will still need a crossover. Please let me know what you decided......but I'm thinking that a new pass crossover is in my near future. I do have a pair of cards in my JBL 5234 network and the manual gives schematics for the cards but its all over my head. I wish there was a club for JBL4345 owners. Best of luck with your clones and the crossover issue. These speakers are just perfection. ssrobw

vannozzi, please fill out your country in the profile section.

If you lived in the USA I would find a 5234 for you easily. I sold one to a friend who does not use it, I'm sure he would let it go.

These crossovers use modules that are easy to change to any frequency needed. The A version has 1/4" jacks in addition to the barrier strips. The A version has the dip switches for the 20hz~40hz high-pass filter.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vintage%20JBL-UREI%20Electronics/JBL-5234A%20manual.pdf

Contact JBL to find where the tap is on inductors L1 and L3. I could hazard a guess based on the amount of attenuation required.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/network%20schematics/3145%20network.pdf

Last edited:
Hi All, I'm building some JBL 4345 clones, and am thinking of bi-amping them.

The JBL brochure for the 4345 recommends the JBL 5234A Frequency Dividing Network for the job.

Did you try here?

The JBL 4345 Club

Do a search and you'll be swamped with info.

Forum member 4313B (Giskard) may already have it designed it for you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.