MJL3281/1302 based amplifier ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well.... being one of the powerful transistor, which I have excess.
I want to make a clean, nice amplifier that is Hi-Fi, at least capable of moderate power (20W).

Any recommendation ? Doesn't like too high power, but will accept too, preferable something near 20W. If there is class D project, I would like to do that (haven't tried one)
Would like to build at minimum cost though, but willing to build if it is highly recommended !:cool: (my pocket are tight, but willingly to sacrifice for the name of AUDIO)

The MJL3281/1302 are very good transistors and capable of delivering far more than 20W. If you use enough of them, more than twenty times that is possible. Even a single pair is good for 50W or more.

Class D and 20W do not usually appear in the same sentence. The extra complexity is not worth it when you can use an IC such as the LM3886 to do the same thing. But if you want to do it to learn the ropes of class D amps, not a bad idea.

If you already have the transistors, the next step is the transformer. Have you got one already or are you going to buy one? This will determine what sort of amplifier you can build. For a 20W project, a 15V-0-15V 100VA transformer will do nicely.

haha, i have a 120VA 25V-0V-25V transformer X.x Then usually how much is class D are rated ? Well.... I personally love the topology of Class D, and want to know HOW good is it, and i love the aspect of less heat ! (how complex is it ?)
I don't like Class D chip, most of them are SMD type with many legs and hard to solder (I hate soldering small things)

I personally doesn't love loudness much (maybe occasionally party booming is nice), but i prefer nice sound quality (Hi-Fi). And the reason i brought MJL3281/1302 not because its power rating, but its their response, SOA, Ft, etc (in general, good sound quality capable in spec)

Maybe I could make an amplifier with few pairs of output transistor, then reduce the gain when I'm not using for booming (more NFB, better quality ?)

25&25Vac will give ~ +-35Vdc as a PSU after rectification and smoothing.
A single pair of 3281/1302 will give a reliable 8ohm capable ClassAB amplifier that should last your lifetime. Expect about 50W maximum into 8r0.
Remember, the operator controls the volume level. Yes, you! You determine how loud the resulting sound.

Try this thread as a starting point:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/154717-my-new-symasym-pcb-design-rev_1-3-a.html

The design presented there will work with the 3281/1302 without any changes (the designer said so himself in one of the posts). The supply rails are +50V but this can be changed as well. For optimal results the input stage should be tweaked for the lower voltages but it will still work if you leave it unchanged.

For questions on Class D, this is the wrong part of the forum. You can post such questions here:
Class D - diyAudio

If you have a 120VA transformer then do not expect more than 120 watt on both channels. It is just not possible.
haha, nice saying, but won't ever happen for me to attempt that, since i don't love loudness much.
It does, I built it. ;)
Mind explain a little bit more to me ? seems interesting. (happen look through the thread)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Nothing to explain, used the pcb artwork from the Symasym site to make my own boards, populated as per the BOM, tweaked bias, again as detailed on website, plugged them in, sounded great. Simple. :)

I've got the top off at the moment so I'll post a pic in a bit when I find the camera.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Yup.

Pics as promised.

Attachments

• IMG_0775.JPG
    IMG_0775.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 208
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
lol... thats alot of reservoir capacitor X.x How much MF is there ? How much VA the transformer ? (seems big)

What you use for other transistor ?

Yup, but used from another project, you don't need that much. 10 to 20 000uF per rail would be fine for your traffo. The traffo is a 300VA, again used because I had it, rather than buying a smaller one.

The other trannies are as per the BOM.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.