Sugden P51 schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,

I need to get my hand on the schematic of the Sugden P51 amplifier as I have an old Sugden A21 series III wich would apparently be built upon this same topology for its power output section.

Would anyone be able to help me on this ? I have looked over the web with no success.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Vaslejean, I know it's a long shot but it may be worth sending an email to Lintone Audio in Gateshead, Tyne & Wear, UK. They did a lot of work (and sold a lot) of the Sugden amplifiers back then. The owner is very much still in business and the store is on eBay as seller lintoneaudio. I'm in no way related to the store (I live in the USA) but when living in the UK I spent a lot of time in that shop and if they can help you I know they will. Very, very nice people. Best regards, Mike.

You're very welcome, I hope they can help. I had a lot of hi-fi gear back then and used to change it just about every week ... and I did have the Sugden amps for their Class A sound, they're very sweet and non-fatiguing to listen to. I'll be looking for the schematic everywhere I can too - if I find it I'll PM you. In the meantime the best of good fortune and my best regards, Mike.

Hi Vaslejean, I found these on the great site : Audio Circuit Denmark under Free schematics and service manuals - Sugden A48 and A51 ... maybe of some help I hope. I've uploaded the A51 in pdf here .. the A48 was too big to upload but it is on the dk site and has a bigger schematic.

Best regards, Mike.

Attachments

• Sugden-A51-pwr-sch.pdf
    83.6 KB · Views: 805
Last edited:
Sugden A51 schematic

Thank you Mike.

Neither of these topology are close to what I have, the A51 is pure class A and the A48 MKII is A/B with about 78 volts dc on it's output section, I had a A48 MKII a few years back it was not bad, but it was not better than a Quad 303 properly set-up by comparison.

It does however use the same output device has my A21. I will keep searching, thank you again, I tought DK-Circuits website was off-line and gone since a while it is good to know it's still there.

Sorry, the P51 wasn't an amp that I got to use, but I'll still keep my eyes open for a schematic: hopefully Lintone may help.

I had a A48 MKII a few years back it was not bad, but it was not better than a Quad 303 properly set-up by comparison

I'm pleased now that I never got to play with an A48 if that's the case - to my ears the 303 (yes I did own one, then a 405, then my first Naim) was very veiled and 'thick' ... and the strongest memory I have of them was a soggy bass that no speaker could correct: funny isn't it that the very first Quad I ever had was the Pre 22 with II valve power amps and the Quad ESL 57 ... I think the 57 if memory serves ... that was back in 1955 or so and loved it. What's even more funny (not) is that I couldn't afford to buy the same outfit today 55 years later :)

Here is the component list I forgot to include in an earlier thread with the Sugden P51 schematic.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• P51 Component List.gif
    P51 Component List.gif
    43.8 KB · Views: 733
Dear Michel,

Thank you very much for including the component list! It was very helpfull. Thanks to the component list I could find the original value for R35. In the P51 I have here for repair this resistors have a value of 100Ohm (Original from the factory) but this resistors where fused. It turns out that the where originally wrong placed but since they only discharge the elcaps of the powersupply the amplifier always worked without problems. No I mounted 10kOhm resistors and the amp works fine again without blowing up this resistors. Soon a restauration journal will be published on my website: Vintage Audio Repair Netherlands

Best wishish for 2012!

Best regards,

Abbe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.