Levinson ML-2 or Threshold SA/1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear solidstate-affecionades

Just picked-up a pair of late series Levinson ML-2 (Torodial)
Units have been serviced with new MJE-15024/25 TO3's.
Technician who services these units and other ML-2's since 1991 checked all parameters like bias, DC, Regulatorvoltage etc..
They're basically okay.

I have a pair of Threshold SA/1's I love also and I just given them a capreplacement.

They both sound superb but I found the imaging in general and definition in the low registers just a tad better on the ML-2's
I have Acoustat 2 + 2 electrostatics with low efficiency and there's the problem:
The ML-2 has no problem with the load (according to Apogee Acoustics Full range Manual, these amps could drive an 'The Apogee' in a Low Impedence Direct Drive Mode posing a nominal 1.6 Ohm load) but it only can muster 17 Volts at the outputs. The Thresholds can put out 39 Volts even at a 2 Ohm load.
I do not need to listen to loud levels to get a full blooming sound and most of the time with spouse & kids & neighbours I'm not in the position to listen to very loud levels.
But sometimes I like to listen somewhat louder then the ML-2 can deliver.
Can't keep them both so any suggestions (also technical) are welcome here.
Thansk in advance...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.