Amplifier making pop sound - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2011, 05:36 PM   #1
comasus is offline comasus  India
diyAudio Member

Default Amplifier making pop sound

This amplifier is making pop sound when powering on

How can i reduce it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0002.jpg (455.5 KB, 179 views)
Old 18th October 2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Banned

This is completely normal. All amplifiers do this, only reason you dont hear it on more modern amplifiers is due to the delay relay for the speakers.
Old 18th October 2011, 06:07 PM   #3
comasus is offline comasus  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekko View Post
This is completely normal. All amplifiers do this, only reason you dont hear it on more modern amplifiers is due to the delay relay for the speakers.
Its making too loud that is why
Old 18th October 2011, 07:04 PM   #4
Banned

Don't bother with it, iots is completely fully normal, as it has a transfoemer output, it cannot damage your speaker no matter how hard it tries.

But why even use an old shitty amp like this ? The design havent been used for 40-50 years and is worse than even the the worst nofi of today.

You could build a better amp using the transistors from this one, assuming the outputs are not germanium as those are a bit special.

Just pick one of all the topologies posted on this forum.
Old 18th October 2011, 07:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This is completely normal.
No. But this is mostly usual, if there are no relais contacts for the speakers in the signal way, that switched on the speakers with several seconds delaying.
But there are amp designs without speaker relay contact and nevertheless without pops or similar effects while switch on. The NAD 3240PE is an example therefore.
Quote:
All amplifiers do this, only reason you dont hear it on more modern amplifiers is due to the delay relay for the speakers.
There are also designs, where the serial voltage regulator BjT's does this job. In the voltage regulators of the amp models LK-2, LK-280 (LK2-80) and Klout from Linn is implemented the function, that is usually present by the protector unit TA7317 from Toshiba. Schematic I have posted here anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comasus View Post
This amplifier is making pop sound when powering on
How can i reduce it?
To the resistor network between the voltage rails and the base connection of Q302 it must be introduce an additional resistor and electrolytic capacitor referenced to the positive or the negative rail. By similar amps like this I have this realized in two or three cases. Unfortunately this was for a too long time, thus I cannot give you the exactly circuit instructions.
If you have find out the right way, please note additional, that while switch on and switch off the volume control position must be at zero (resp. minimum gain).

Quote:
But why even use an old shitty amp like this ? The design havent been used for 40-50 years and is worse than even the the worst nofi of today.
With which loudspeakers have you heard this amp model "SSA-100M" about the follow URL ??
http://www.avzone.co.in/Medium-Power-PA-Amplifiers.php
According the schematic diagram from post #1 this could be a very fine sounded amp. Various first solid state amplifiers from that time are very good sounded devices - go to
Overview of Brands and Models from first Solid State Audio Amplifier Components want.

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 18th October 2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 18th October 2011, 08:07 PM   #6
Banned

I've never heard a good sounding ss amp with a output transformer, however i have heard good sounding amplifiers with a output capacitor similar to the DX trust.
Old 18th October 2011, 08:23 PM   #7
Bone is offline Bone  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This looks like a factory PA type amplifier. Ive got a similar one at home.
Old 18th October 2011, 09:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've never heard a good sounding ss amp with a output transformer, however i have heard good sounding amplifiers with a output capacitor similar to the DX trust.
Some old McIntoshes like the 2105 really aren't that bad at all! Actually, still very listenable.

vac
Old 18th October 2011, 10:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

You can try using an NTC CL-60 thermistor between the bridge rectifier and the capacitor C701. This will prevent the inrush current in the powered up.
Old 18th October 2011, 11:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Put a 100nf across the mains switch to stop arcing.

Hide this!Advertise here!