SYMEF amplifier

Nice progress Bambadoo. The fuse may have saved your output transistors ;) . Remember you had not set bias. Hope nothing else got damaged.
You could use a b1 buffer preamp between your preamp and amplifier. Although the preamp may sound dead silent by itself, any low level hum is further amplified by the
amplifier making it audible. Thats why when you cut the amplifiers gain, the hum reduced. The b1 buffer preamp might fix up this for you. Nelson Pass and diyaudio stock kits
for this buffer. Check to see whether your preamps voltage swing is safe for the buffer.
Take your time, you are making great progress. You may play with the amp , but dont mod it too much (this may change its character)
Attached are line level voltages Line level - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Assuming your CD or source has 3v of output swing then pass this through the preamp for +18 dB gain, well ........it just doesnt work out ;)

Last edited:
... Extreme grip on the woofers....

Yes I almost fainted when i played Lee Ritenour as the first note. Holy crap - I felt the bass note right in my guts..

It is natural since this amp plays ridiculously good and I would like to be able to use it with my setup..

Have been playing with the amp some hours now. The initial harshness in the upper regions seems gone. Suspect some burn-in time. Only beautiful music.

I have tried alot of amplifiers during my hifi - time.

This is maybe the first transistor amp I have tested that really grips the woofers and are very dynamic at very low volumes.

Vocals seems vere "real" and I have not tried any classical yet..

Your almost there Bambadoo :D . Imagine having an exotic amplifier that you cannot buy from the shop currently and that you yourself have build. Looking forward to your review.;) Thank you for the time and expense that you are putting into this. Thank you for sharing your findings, these are important since we perceive sound uniquely. Is there a formula ?

Last edited:
Hi Kacernator,

Yes I built both of them, I haven't do a blind A/B test but I believe SYMEF is in a next level compared to SymAsym. Both have huge sound stage, but with SYMEF vocals and strings are amazing. Also the bass is tight and punchy with SYMEF. If you are looking for better than Symasym SYMEF is definitely worth a try.

Thanks,

Do you mean 0.75 Ohm ? , 0.075 Ohm ? ;)

Remove the 2200uf and 7.5ohm and tell us the sound difference :) .

No I mean 7.5 ohm :) (two 15ohm 50w in parallell) - Reason is that I would be "safe".
2*35v trannie and with this setup i get 40.5V on the rails.

If I remove these my guess is approx 48Vdc on the rail.. Is that perfectly safe?

I have been playing a bit with Duncans psud designer for this...

The resistors do not get that hot.

I also have some inductors I could try but I have no idea if this is beneficial for this kind of amp.. (less ripple and so on)..

BTW: I have ordered dcb1 buffer :D

Thanks alot for advice. Read a couple of 100 pages here regarding it and could be what I need...

BTW::: Symef just keeps impressing me.. I have a hard time saying this but my tube power amp may get early retirement :eek:

And that is a really good one.

BTW::: Symef just keeps impressing me.. I have a hard time saying this but my tube power amp may get early retirement :eek:

And that is a really good one.

Its time we sent an amp to stereophile :D.
I am also interested to find out how it compares to some of the $250,000 amplifiers they have reviewed,
If the formula used on SYMEF is valid, there is a great likelihood SYMEF will come out ontop or they will be at par.

If however SYMEF is beaten to pieces the formula will be updated and we will have learned something new.

Last edited:
Its time we sent an amp to stereophile :D.
I am also interested to find out how it compares to some of the $250,000 amplifiers they have reviewed,
If the formula used on SYMEF is valid, there is a great likelihood SYMEF will come out ontop or they will be at par.

If however SYMEF is beaten to pieces the formula will be updated and we will have learned something new.

Let's be realist here... Even if this amp could beat a 250K amplifier, Stereophile would not be 100% neutral. The reason is simple... Those big companies pay a ton of money in advertising and it would be stupid from them to say that a DIY amplifier is beating one of their $$$ contributors.

I'm all for sending a unit there but without a brand they would not even review it I'm affraid... Maybe 6 moons?

Do

Let's be realist here... Even if this amp could beat a 250K amplifier, Stereophile would not be 100% neutral. The reason is simple... Those big companies pay a ton of money in advertising and it would be stupid from them to say that a DIY amplifier is beating one of their $$$ contributors.

I'm all for sending a unit there but without a brand they would not even review it I'm affraid... Maybe 6 moons?

Do

Are audio magazines not absolutely accurate and truthful with their reviews?:(

The McGurk Effect: What You See Affects What You Hear (VIDEO)

It is important to pack the Symes in a fancy cabinet with a pricetag at 100000$.. "Bargain of the Year in Stereophile" :)

BTW: I will test it against a jrdg amp (model 8 - in the time JRDG made great equipment) which I guess costed about 18000$ some years ago.. (I have owned that amp earlier).. To be honest I think the Symef is quite better.

That video seems like a lot of hogwash - the guy confuses the issue by not pronouncing the words properly or recording it badly purposely.

I just tried it myself with a colleague with words "PA, MA, BA, FA, LA, DA" with my eyes closed writing what I heard and got it correct 100% of the time.

Just shows what idiots like that would do to get attention. He may even qualify as an audio reviewer.

Last edited:
That video seems like a lot of hogwash - the guy confuses the issue by not pronouncing the words properly or recording it badly purposely.

I just tried it myself with a colleague with words "PA, MA, BA, FA, LA, DA" with my eyes closed writing what I heard and got it correct 100% of the time.

Just shows what idiots like that would do to get attention. He may even qualify as an audio reviewer.

He may even qualify as an audio reviewer.

LOL

The formula will just be a formal method to complement reviews. ;) Music is enjoyed by human beings.

Mark Levinson was talking about how humans perceive PCM in CDs, maybe there is more to this than meets the eye. Could SYMEF be the cure ?

This research recognises that there are humans that hear what others dont and there are humans that smell electricity etc. Its gonna be lots of fun, hopefully.