SYMEF amplifier

I will build your amp. as soon as i get there.and also I have finished sloan class A pcb and will compare both of them.but right now all I can do is prepare the board.anyway whats best of your amp.is its free and we have your guarantee its working.;)

I will make an attempt at yours after our summer holidays kick off in less than a month. Thank you.

Hi Sam,

The pictures will be here soon. Even the cat is in on it ;)

c8

Hi Sam,

The pictures will be here soon. Even the cat is in on it ;)

your coupling capacitor seems very large 100uf.i have search on internet seems all plastic casing and polyester type very bulky 43mm x 24mm.silver mica if there is will be very expensive.can i use two tantalum capacitor in series like sloans technique.I'm preparing the board and listing for what parts i will use.

cheers,
joel

nice progress

your coupling capacitor seems very large 100uf.i have search on internet seems all plastic casing and polyester type very bulky 43mm x 24mm.silver mica if there is will be very expensive.can i use two tantalum capacitor in series like sloans technique.I'm preparing the board and listing for what parts i will use.

cheers,
joel

Hi Joel,

You could even scale C8 from 100uf to 10uf. C6 from 2200uf to 100uf . The Slone technique is also fine by me. Nice progress :)

kind regards

I am curious now. Have you actually built this amp and does it work. Show us some pictures of the layout as it could have some significance impact especially with the low current that you chose.

Also since it is so important to follow the circuit, more important is to get the power supply absolutely perfect.

Power supply is the most important part of an amplifier and you do not even make mention of it. Wiring is equally important so it would be great to see how you constructed yours so that everyone is on the same page.

If you need answers that has any relevance to your design it must be specified down to the wire size and length, PCB track sizes, components type and manufacturer, board layout and material, else your 30K answers will be just that, 30K answers referenced to nothing, you may as well generate 30K random answers and chose an outcome that fits you predictive software precisely.

Good luck

I am curious now. Have you actually built this amp and does it work. Show us some pictures of the layout as it could have some significance impact especially with the low current that you chose.

Also since it is so important to follow the circuit, more important is to get the power supply absolutely perfect.

Power supply is the most important part of an amplifier and you do not even make mention of it. Wiring is equally important so it would be great to see how you constructed yours so that everyone is on the same page.

If you need answers that has any relevance to your design it must be specified down to the wire size and length, PCB track sizes, components type and manufacturer, board layout and material, else your 30K answers will be just that, 30K answers referenced to nothing, you may as well generate 30K random answers and chose an outcome that fits you predictive software precisely.

Good luck

Hi Nico,

The model assumes the PCB is perfectly laid out. This is one parameter that is not tracked in the model. This design uses an unregulated supply unless where indicated. It will be interesting to find out how the design holds up to the varied component types, manufacturers, PCB s and power supplies. Then we will let the computer grind the numbers.

I currently do not have any pictures. I am hoping to have a demonstration unit sometime next year. Or who knows one of the diyers much like it so much that they might reward me with one. ;)

kind regards

I have yet to come across a perfect PCB, or an unregulated supply of some predictable performance specification at least. Components vary to the extent that you see in these threads that claim is made that models are incorrect. Here is an interesting little story:

A man in a hot air balloon realised he was lost. He reduced altitude and spotted a man jogging below. He descended a bit more and shouted, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him half an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The man below replied, "You are in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet above the ground. You are between 40 and 42 degrees north latitude and between 58 and 60 degrees west longitude."

The balloonist thought for a moment and replied: "You must be an engineer," said the balloonist.

"I am," replied the man, "but how did you know?"

"Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to make of your information, and the fact is I am still lost."

The man below responded politely, "You must be a statistical manager."

"I am," replied the balloonist, "how did you know?"

"Well," said the engineer, "you don't know where you are or where you are going. You made a promise which you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. The fact is you are exactly in the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it became my fault."

Last edited:
c8 and c6 change value

also the coil and output transistor location.onaudio pls check my work for possible mistakes specially my schematic.I got confused on your capacitor has no polarity should be electrolytic cap.

cheers,
joel

Attachments

• foil pattern symef.pdf
    36.9 KB · Views: 229
  • schematic.pdf
    22.9 KB · Views: 293
  • symef top view.jpg
    symef top view.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 1,065
  • symef top view.pdf
    81.5 KB · Views: 222
also the coil and output transistor location.onaudio pls check my work for possible mistakes specially my schematic.I got confused on your capacitor has no polarity should be electrolytic cap.

cheers,
joel

Hi Joel,

I took a quick peek ;) . R8 should be 12 Ohms. Relocate R13 and C1 to speaker side. C6 could be replaced with two 220 uF or you can use a protection diode. Or go non polar with film types :).

kind regards

change r7 2.4k to 12r

Hi Joel,

I took a quick peek ;) . R8 should be 12 Ohms. Relocate R13 and C1 to speaker side. C6 could be replaced with two 220 uF or you can use a protection diode. Or go non polar with film types :).

kind regards

i have check sloan schematic you mean a 1n4146 in parallel with c6.and the zobel after the coil.ill get in touch with you saturday we have no work on friday and no internet in my room.thanks for checking ill change it tonight when i get back in my room.going home.:)

cheers,
joel

p.s. i will try it on jbl4311.

i have check sloan schematic you mean a 1n4146 in parallel with c6.and the zobel after the coil.ill get in touch with you saturday we have no work on friday and no internet in my room.thanks for checking ill change it tonight when i get back in my room.going home.:)

cheers,
joel

p.s. i will try it on jbl4311.

Hi Joel,

R8 on your schematic not R7. Nice speakers. Use ceramic for high frequency feedback. I see you have used a polarized symbol for all capacitors ?

kind regards

check again

Hi Joel,

Just to point out ;) the output devices your using have tracking diodes, will you take advantage of them ?

kind regards

the transistor you used not available and change it to 2stc5200 and 2sta1943 is this two ok?sorry for using the wrong output transistor.I already change c8,c6,r8 and zobel network.plus I include a diode in parallel with c6.is this correct?

regards,
joel

p.s. if no correction will be made I will try to buy pcb this week and will use toner transfer method.my printer is laser and produce solid black good for transferring.

Attachments

• foil pattern symef.pdf
    44.7 KB · Views: 198
  • schematic.jpg
    schematic.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 474
  • schematic.pdf
    23.4 KB · Views: 208
  • symef top view.jpg
    symef top view.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 510
  • symef top view.pdf
    83.5 KB · Views: 178
4.7uf

Drow,
replace back to back C8 with a single plastic film 4u7F.
You lose one octave of sub audio low bass frequency response in exchange for the higher quality film over electrolytic caps.

I have check the supplier the smallest casing is 26mm x 13mm it takes up the space of the whole input filter circuit.capacitor is metallised polypropylene is there any other way for this?

p.s. can i use metallised polyester or uncoated MKTpolyester capacitor and rating is 63volts?
regards,
joel

Last edited: