SYMEF amplifier - Page 99 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2013, 07:55 AM   #981
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maros View Post
Which of the transistors on the Type 2 board should be mounted on top of the board and which under it, connected to the heatsink?
Thank you Maros, the entire output stage including the bias sensing transistor. You are also allowed to use your own tricks
Old 4th May 2013, 07:58 AM   #982
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanman1964 View Post
Evette,
I believe you,it's part your doing I start populating my Symef but the 1DIFFQS will be build too.I only have to order a few parts like the 39pF and 8,2pF micas.Also I need the 10ohm/3Watt resistors.
I'm very curios how the Symef will sound and behave.
Hi Meanman1964,

Looking forward to your review of those first notes. It is rumoured that the secret is whispered during those first few moments......could it be true?

kind regards,

Harrison.
Old 4th May 2013, 06:27 PM   #983
evette is offline evette  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to evette
Sind Me your phone # again Mr.Harrison and I,ll tell you. Evette
Old 6th May 2013, 02:25 PM   #984
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evette View Post
Sind Me your phone # again Mr.Harrison and I,ll tell you. Evette
Looking forward Evette will call you shortly PM me your number again
Old 9th May 2013, 03:26 PM   #985
diyAudio Member

Am thinking about offering both type1 and type2 PCB s in the group buy thread so kindly share your ideas on your preferred type .

I have gotten positive review for type2 PCBs. In this review there was no perceived difference in performance when compared to the type1. This is an interesting result. It provides data on the pros and cons of PCB layout. Type2 features a huge almost solid ground plane while type1 features a different type of ground plane.

Kindly share your experiences and pictures on this thread including your partial or complete builds .

kind regards,

Harrison.

Last edited by OnAudio; 9th May 2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 13th May 2013, 05:20 PM   #986
Maros is offline Maros  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I finally drilled the holes in my heatsinks, now I only have to solder the power supply together and I have a new amplifier!
Old 14th May 2013, 04:10 PM   #987
diyAudio Member

Thank you Maros,

Now we wait with bated breaths. Remember to set bias for maximum resistance before powering up then adjust bias after amp warms up and repeat again.

Lets know how it goes do share pics of your build. All the best.

kind regards,

Harrison.

Once you post PM shipping address for your free pair of 1DIFFQC PCbs

Quote:
I finally drilled the holes in my heatsinks, now I only have to solder the power supply together and I have a new amplifier!

Last edited by OnAudio; 14th May 2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 27th May 2013, 11:58 AM   #988
Maros is offline Maros  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I got one channel working, I still have to assemble the power supply for the second channel, but I've got a little problem.
Apart from a bit of hum (due to bad grounding, haven't got a case for the amplifier yet) I can't get the amp to sing without distortion.
Fiddling around with the bias-pot doesn't really solve the problem, the signal is distorted at all bias voltages.
Maybe my supply voltage is too low?
I've got a 25V sec. transformer, so my DC voltage is around 35V.
When I measure from the +40V jack to the Ground jack I get about 18V, when I measure from the +40V to the -40V I get 35V.
Old 30th May 2013, 06:40 AM   #989
diyAudio Member

Hi Maros,

Thanks for the update. Almost there. Were you able to troubleshoot the problem. Do post some pictures of all sides. Did you complete the second amplifier did it display the same symptoms ?

It might be oscillation, a defective device etc etc, do you have a scope. How hot are the output devices getting. Welcome to diyaudio.

kind regards,

Harrison.
Quote:
I got one channel working, I still have to assemble the power supply for the second channel, but I've got a little problem.
Apart from a bit of hum (due to bad grounding, haven't got a case for the amplifier yet) I can't get the amp to sing without distortion.
Fiddling around with the bias-pot doesn't really solve the problem, the signal is distorted at all bias voltages.
Maybe my supply voltage is too low?
I've got a 25V sec. transformer, so my DC voltage is around 35V.
When I measure from the +40V jack to the Ground jack I get about 18V, when I measure from the +40V to the -40V I get 35V.
Old 6th June 2013, 06:50 AM   #990
diyAudio Member

The schematic is an idea, its a dream. Then there are those that turn dreams into tangible reality.

The PCB is etched. One by one the components are added. As the components are added a relationship starts to form between builder and subject.

Then the fateful day comes when the amplifier is complete and is plugged in and the first notes come out.......do tell us San and thanks for sharing and advancing the state of the art. All the best,

Harrison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp.jpg (324.3 KB, 718 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!