SYMEF amplifier - Page 95 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2013, 02:41 PM   #941
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT67 View Post
@pinnocchio

Does the amp generate much heat?

Regards
indeed it does... I have type 1 Symef PCB and for testing purposes I stacked both boards on a HeatsinkUSA 10.080 4" heatsink and it reaches 50+ Celcius... I put in a fan on the back and stays at 30 Celcius. With only one module the heatsink reaches about 35 Celcius at idle. Trust me, those heatsinks are 3/8" thick and fins are 2" long, so yes the amp runs hot even at idle. But on the other side, it sounds quite nice.

My supplied voltage is around 43-44Vdc. Also not that on the type 1 PCB the drivers are on the heatsink.

Ciao!
Do

Last edited by pinnocchio; 10th February 2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10th February 2013, 04:13 PM   #942
diyAudio Member

Hello Mr. OnAudio,
I am new to this thread,some questions, hope you don't mind answering.Can we attach more pairs o f 5200 and 1943 in output , how many,and can to amplifiers be bridged and with which good bridge circuit,i have gone through all pages and downloaded all files, will you be kind enough to post once again final,schematic,top view and copper side,
warm regards
Old 10th February 2013, 08:04 PM   #943
routhun is online now routhun  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
I finally did most of the burn in and decided to hook it up to my DCB1, Wolfson DAC and Astasia speakers. I'm really impressed by the musicality of this amp and the overal tonal balance. Female voice are really well rendered. Lots of breathing room between instrument and the soundstage has a very good width but maybe not as deep as my ML-2 or B24.

I might just go for the new version of the amp and see if there is improvement. Anyone can comment on the newest PCB design (sound signature)?

Thanks
Do
Hello Do,

It confirms my findings too. This has wonderful sonic signature, when I was powering up this amp, I've connected to Bookshelf's I built. Instantly I found this amp sounds different, and is wonderful. BTW what speakers you've tested this amplifier with? Probably SYMEF 2 sounds better than version 1, only PCB routing is different no circuit changes. I have version 2 board as well need to start collecting parts for that.

Thanks,
Old 11th February 2013, 03:30 AM   #944
abetir is offline abetir  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Hi!,

..guess It's not too late to ask..

Will it be ok to use 2N5551/5401 as alternate to MPSA92/42 & 2SC4793/SA1837 as alternate to MJE1534/35..? PSU at around -/+42vdc 8amperes.

Thanks!
Old 15th February 2013, 09:48 AM   #945
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT67 View Post
This is how far I've got with both boards, still waiting for some parts.

Regards
Beautiful. However kindly remount the output stage transistors. Sorry for seeing this so late .
Old 15th February 2013, 09:52 AM   #946
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I finally did most of the burn in and decided to hook it up to my DCB1, Wolfson DAC and Astasia speakers. I'm really impressed by the musicality of this amp and the overal tonal balance. Female voice are really well rendered. Lots of breathing room between instrument and the soundstage has a very good width but maybe not as deep as my ML-2 or B24.

I might just go for the new version of the amp and see if there is improvement. Anyone can comment on the newest PCB design (sound signature)?

Thanks
Do
Quote:
indeed it does... I have type 1 Symef PCB and for testing purposes I stacked both boards on a HeatsinkUSA 10.080 4" heatsink and it reaches 50+ Celcius... I put in a fan on the back and stays at 30 Celcius. With only one module the heatsink reaches about 35 Celcius at idle. Trust me, those heatsinks are 3/8" thick and fins are 2" long, so yes the amp runs hot even at idle. But on the other side, it sounds quite nice.

My supplied voltage is around 43-44Vdc. Also not that on the type 1 PCB the drivers are on the heatsink.

Ciao!
Do
Am glad you like it. You are listening to one of a few very high end amplifiers on the planet. Short of technology changes (meaning the R&D of better devices ie transistors, resistors etc etc) it may not be possible even then to unsit that amplifier from the crown of audio perfection. Thanks for all you put in in making it work.

Last edited by OnAudio; 15th February 2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 15th February 2013, 10:03 AM   #947
diyAudio Member

Thanks for joining us. You can use the files that Drowranger posted for PauloPT. Or the ones Drowranger used himself. You can add more pairs.Yes you can bridge. Also check site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedmitraa View Post
Hello Mr. OnAudio,
I am new to this thread,some questions, hope you don't mind answering.Can we attach more pairs o f 5200 and 1943 in output , how many,and can to amplifiers be bridged and with which good bridge circuit,i have gone through all pages and downloaded all files, will you be kind enough to post once again final,schematic,top view and copper side,
warm regards
Old 15th February 2013, 10:09 AM   #948
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abetir View Post
Hi!,

..guess It's not too late to ask..

Will it be ok to use 2N5551/5401 as alternate to MPSA92/42 & 2SC4793/SA1837 as alternate to MJE1534/35..? PSU at around -/+42vdc 8amperes.

Thanks!
For the first. Yes. For the second nope . For voltage yes.
Old 20th February 2013, 06:31 AM   #949
abetir is offline abetir  Philippines
diyAudio Member

OK sir,

Thanks!
Old 8th March 2013, 01:55 PM   #950
diyAudio Member

Hi members,

Looking forward to your pictures, findings and progress.

Peugeot at one time designed the 504 that held the record of the car to own for a long time. Porsche also had the carrera 911 at a higher price tag for those seeking a different kind of meal. Then a new wave of computer simulated exterior and interior designs was born and most cars look the same and drive the same ?.

SYMEF is (supposedly) deceptively simple ? An egg is deceptively simple for a cradle of new life ?

Drive forward this research by posting your findings. Is this an amplifier that will hold the record for the best real life sounding amplifier temporarily or for a longer time or for all time against all technologies current and future ?

Last edited by OnAudio; 8th March 2013 at 02:00 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!