SYMEF amplifier - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2011, 07:06 PM   #101
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowranger View Post
I will build your amp. as soon as i get there.and also I have finished sloan class A pcb and will compare both of them.but right now all I can do is prepare the board.anyway whats best of your amp.is its free and we have your guarantee its working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Ras View Post

I will make an attempt at yours after our summer holidays kick off in less than a month. Thank you.
Hi Sam,

The pictures will be here soon. Even the cat is in on it
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 03:59 AM   #102
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default c8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAudio View Post
Hi Sam,

The pictures will be here soon. Even the cat is in on it
your coupling capacitor seems very large 100uf.i have search on internet seems all plastic casing and polyester type very bulky 43mm x 24mm.silver mica if there is will be very expensive.can i use two tantalum capacitor in series like sloans technique.I'm preparing the board and listing for what parts i will use.

cheers,
joel
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 02:53 PM   #103
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default nice progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowranger View Post
your coupling capacitor seems very large 100uf.i have search on internet seems all plastic casing and polyester type very bulky 43mm x 24mm.silver mica if there is will be very expensive.can i use two tantalum capacitor in series like sloans technique.I'm preparing the board and listing for what parts i will use.

cheers,
joel
Hi Joel,

You could even scale C8 from 100uf to 10uf. C6 from 2200uf to 100uf . The Slone technique is also fine by me. Nice progress

kind regards
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 07:08 PM   #104
diyAudio Member
 
Nico Ras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Coast of South Africa
I am curious now. Have you actually built this amp and does it work. Show us some pictures of the layout as it could have some significance impact especially with the low current that you chose.

Also since it is so important to follow the circuit, more important is to get the power supply absolutely perfect.

Power supply is the most important part of an amplifier and you do not even make mention of it. Wiring is equally important so it would be great to see how you constructed yours so that everyone is on the same page.

If you need answers that has any relevance to your design it must be specified down to the wire size and length, PCB track sizes, components type and manufacturer, board layout and material, else your 30K answers will be just that, 30K answers referenced to nothing, you may as well generate 30K random answers and chose an outcome that fits you predictive software precisely.

Good luck
__________________
Kindest regards
Nico
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 07:51 PM   #105
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Ras View Post
I am curious now. Have you actually built this amp and does it work. Show us some pictures of the layout as it could have some significance impact especially with the low current that you chose.

Also since it is so important to follow the circuit, more important is to get the power supply absolutely perfect.

Power supply is the most important part of an amplifier and you do not even make mention of it. Wiring is equally important so it would be great to see how you constructed yours so that everyone is on the same page.

If you need answers that has any relevance to your design it must be specified down to the wire size and length, PCB track sizes, components type and manufacturer, board layout and material, else your 30K answers will be just that, 30K answers referenced to nothing, you may as well generate 30K random answers and chose an outcome that fits you predictive software precisely.

Good luck
Hi Nico,

The model assumes the PCB is perfectly laid out. This is one parameter that is not tracked in the model. This design uses an unregulated supply unless where indicated. It will be interesting to find out how the design holds up to the varied component types, manufacturers, PCB s and power supplies. Then we will let the computer grind the numbers.

I currently do not have any pictures. I am hoping to have a demonstration unit sometime next year. Or who knows one of the diyers much like it so much that they might reward me with one.

kind regards
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 08:01 PM   #106
diyAudio Member
 
Nico Ras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Coast of South Africa
I have yet to come across a perfect PCB, or an unregulated supply of some predictable performance specification at least. Components vary to the extent that you see in these threads that claim is made that models are incorrect. Here is an interesting little story:

A man in a hot air balloon realised he was lost. He reduced altitude and spotted a man jogging below. He descended a bit more and shouted, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him half an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The man below replied, "You are in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet above the ground. You are between 40 and 42 degrees north latitude and between 58 and 60 degrees west longitude."

The balloonist thought for a moment and replied: "You must be an engineer," said the balloonist.

"I am," replied the man, "but how did you know?"

"Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to make of your information, and the fact is I am still lost."

The man below responded politely, "You must be a statistical manager."

"I am," replied the balloonist, "how did you know?"

"Well," said the engineer, "you don't know where you are or where you are going. You made a promise which you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. The fact is you are exactly in the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it became my fault."
__________________
Kindest regards
Nico

Last edited by Nico Ras; 16th November 2011 at 08:03 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 11:45 AM   #107
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default c8 and c6 change value

also the coil and output transistor location.onaudio pls check my work for possible mistakes specially my schematic.I got confused on your capacitor has no polarity should be electrolytic cap.

cheers,
joel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg symef top view.jpg (258.0 KB, 840 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf foil pattern symef.pdf (36.9 KB, 130 views)
File Type: pdf schematic.pdf (22.9 KB, 185 views)
File Type: pdf symef top view.pdf (81.5 KB, 131 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 02:09 PM   #108
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowranger View Post
also the coil and output transistor location.onaudio pls check my work for possible mistakes specially my schematic.I got confused on your capacitor has no polarity should be electrolytic cap.

cheers,
joel
Hi Joel,

I took a quick peek . R8 should be 12 Ohms. Relocate R13 and C1 to speaker side. C6 could be replaced with two 220 uF or you can use a protection diode. Or go non polar with film types .

kind regards
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 02:29 PM   #109
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default change r7 2.4k to 12r

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAudio View Post
Hi Joel,

I took a quick peek . R8 should be 12 Ohms. Relocate R13 and C1 to speaker side. C6 could be replaced with two 220 uF or you can use a protection diode. Or go non polar with film types .

kind regards
i have check sloan schematic you mean a 1n4146 in parallel with c6.and the zobel after the coil.ill get in touch with you saturday we have no work on friday and no internet in my room.thanks for checking ill change it tonight when i get back in my room.going home.

cheers,
joel

p.s. i will try it on jbl4311.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 02:39 PM   #110
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowranger View Post
i have check sloan schematic you mean a 1n4146 in parallel with c6.and the zobel after the coil.ill get in touch with you saturday we have no work on friday and no internet in my room.thanks for checking ill change it tonight when i get back in my room.going home.

cheers,
joel

p.s. i will try it on jbl4311.
Hi Joel,

R8 on your schematic not R7. Nice speakers. Use ceramic for high frequency feedback. I see you have used a polarized symbol for all capacitors ?

kind regards
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: DIY amplifier builder with experience. I need a 0.7 ohm stable amplifier Audiophilenoob Swap Meet 34 16th May 2005 11:58 PM
Questions about how to decrease the PASS A-40 amplifier into a class AB amplifier. novtango Pass Labs 2 21st October 2002 01:50 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:35 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2