Crown XLS 602 - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2011, 02:50 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

It's really important to find the root cause of failure when fixing an amp. Transistors don't fail because of their date code, age or how much excess thermal glop happened to get spread around. They fail, usually catastrophically, due to too much current passing through the device. One hopes the design is reasonably protected from outside problems like shorted wires, but protection is rarely perfect. It can also happen from internal problems which can be anything from bad ground connections to bad capacitors to bad small signal transistors to bad passive components (rare).

It doesn't sound like you've had a catastrophic failure of the outputs, so the problem is elsewhere. Whatever the root cause was, it didn't get found or fixed the first time and now it's back. IMO, you need to get this thing to a good tech, find the root cause, fix it and be done with it. You're probably not going to be able to do this yourself and it doesn't sound like the local Crown dealer has been very successful. Go independent, or go right to the factory.
Old 11th October 2011, 03:08 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
It's really important to find the root cause of failure when fixing an amp. Transistors don't fail because of their date code, age or how much excess thermal glop happened to get spread around. They fail, usually catastrophically, due to too much current passing through the device. One hopes the design is reasonably protected from outside problems like shorted wires, but protection is rarely perfect. It can also happen from internal problems which can be anything from bad ground connections to bad capacitors to bad small signal transistors to bad passive components (rare).

It doesn't sound like you've had a catastrophic failure of the outputs, so the problem is elsewhere. Whatever the root cause was, it didn't get found or fixed the first time and now it's back. IMO, you need to get this thing to a good tech, find the root cause, fix it and be done with it. You're probably not going to be able to do this yourself and it doesn't sound like the local Crown dealer has been very successful. Go independent, or go right to the factory.
Thanks Conrad Hoffman!
Old 11th October 2011, 06:20 PM   #33
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

It would be very interesting to do some comparative checks one channel against the other if you felt confident of doing some DC voltage measurements.

I know it's more of a dynamic fault than a static one but something may just show up.
Old 12th October 2011, 12:56 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
It would be very interesting to do some comparative checks one channel against the other if you felt confident of doing some DC voltage measurements.

I know it's more of a dynamic fault than a static one but something may just show up.
Thanks Mooly and everyone else who put their two sense to try to help.
It will be shipped to Crown (in its original box) in the next couple of days awaiting the required paper work. I can't believe these people left a tiny piece of solder residue loose in this amp. I was tempted to post the picture here.
The factory has this deal where they price according to model and mine is 200 or so dollars shipping included. Less than the aggravation but I learnt a lot. Hope everything goes well. They seem to be standing behind their product.
Just wished that Crown had insisted that it be sent to them when I contacted them originally. What a bunch of jokers this authorized Dealer.
Again thanks!
Old 12th October 2011, 01:29 PM   #35
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
diyAudio Member

A wise decision.
Old 12th October 2011, 05:38 PM   #36
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Hope you soon get it sorted
Old 13th October 2011, 02:34 AM   #37
Tajzmaj is offline Tajzmaj  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

I spotted thread late......but what about defective gretz?.....
Regards, Taj
Old 15th October 2012, 03:39 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Default i have one too

i have one too,the crown xls 602,it comes on,i put a signal to it,the green led comes on showing input,but not geting on out signal to the boxes,why is the amp doing this
Old 16th October 2012, 04:39 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westaudio View Post
i have one too,the crown xls 602,it comes on,i put a signal to it,the green led comes on showing input,but not geting on out signal to the boxes,why is the amp doing this
i need some help with this amp.
Old 20th April 2013, 09:44 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Default Help

sorry, I could tell what kind of mini relay is the one in the picture?.
thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!