Altec 9440A - cloning best solid state amp ever

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it possible to clone Altec 9440A using modern transistors ? Some say that this Altec is best solid state amplifier ever made. Unfortunately I have no chance to listen it. Maybe someone have pics or fotos of pcb's ? Schematic i for free available on internet, so it is no problem.

Attachments

• Altec 9440.jpg
    Altec 9440.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 838
The best soilid state amp for wich use?. using up to date semiconductors to copy this altec may and im sure will alter its sonics. I guess to get it to sound the same as the factory one would need as many original components as possible. Good luck.
ps This may be a very good sounding amplifier. Im sure if you take a good luck around this forum members have designed and built amplifiers with help from some of the best guys in the field. Take a look around.
Regards ian

The 9440 is a good commercial/industrial use amplifier. They sound good and at one time I had 5 of them in my home theater rack running bridge mono. Certainly not the best sounding amplifier in my opinion and probably not worth the time to update the semiconductors. I have seen it done in the past and to do it correctly it requires some machine work to the heat sinks. Sonically, replacing the transistors will NOT make this amplifier sound better and I noticed no difference between a stock amplifier and one with up to date parts. If DJK sees this thread maybe he will chime in with some part numbers and advice.

I have the Altec owners manual with schematics as well as all Altec literature concerning this amplifier.

Last edited:
I had one, bought for 10$ at a tag sale. Worked good after I refurbished it some. New caps, cleaned switches/pots, reflowed connections, etc... Sold it for over 400$.

These amps were great for their time, and if you can pick one up working or non-working I would do it. However, for a new build there are better designs out there.

I had one, bought for 10$ at a tag sale. Worked good after I refurbished it some. New caps, cleaned switches/pots, reflowed connections, etc... Sold it for over 400$.

These amps were great for their time, and if you can pick one up working or non-working I would do it. However, for a new build there are better designs out there.

Why I don't live in USA ? 9440 for 10$ ???!!! Here in Europe it is impossible to get it in good price :-(

It would be quite a formidable undertaking, with lots of output transisitors on a huge heatsink and a huge power supply to keep it all going. I'm not sure that it would be worth the effort to build a clone of a high-power quasi-complementary circuit.

20101103035554fba.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here are some extracts from the service manual. If you want to duplicate those meters and switches on the front panel, it gets even more complicated.

It would be much easier to get an old one and modify it.

BTW, I got the diagrams here:
http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet.net/proelectronics/proamplifiers/index.html

Attachments

• 9440-10.jpg
    9440-10.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 552
  • 9440-12.jpg
    9440-12.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 619
Last edited:
"Wow, three parallel driver transistors to drive only 4 output transistors. What an effort of design overpowering feeble early parts. "

OK, since you're so smart, what would you use?

Remember, you need good SOA at 100V, 30Mhz, 6A, and a 200°C rating.

I considered having the heatsink machined and something like MJW3281/1302 drivers, but decided that the original 2N3584/6421 were a better way to go.

MJ21196 for outputs, not quite as much SOA as the original 2N6259, but they should be OK.

The real question in my mind are the MPSU10/60, not sure about what to use here (NOS parts are $$$).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.