LM317 for output stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been thinking that a linear adjustable regulator, like the LM317, allows you to vary the output voltage by varying the adjustment pin current.

So in theory, if you manage to vary this current depending of the voltage amplitude of a musical signal, you should be able to modulate the output voltage of the regulator in concordance.
In the same way that when you trim a pot, the output voltage varies, but in function of a musical signal.

It may sound a little funny, but with a decent slew response rate maybe the sound can be decent.

Has anybody ever tried something like that? What are your ideas for varying the input current of the adj. pin byt following a signal?

Regards,
Regi

A former colleague of mine actually came up with an amplifier circuirt using LM317 and LM337 while working for synth maker Sequential circuits. This was back in the the late 70's/early 80's. The curcuit escapes me right now, but no doubt one of you busy folks out there will rough something out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.