No - feedback amplifier - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2013, 03:51 AM   #31
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Bigun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Blog Entries: 2
why limit yourself to one school or the other ?

It seems to me that gnfb give us another means to 'play' with the sound, a tool that can be useful.

But we aren't compelled to use it and I do like to be out on the limb at times....
__________________
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 1st January 2013 at 03:53 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 10:10 AM   #32
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Italy
Hugh, the problem is that I cannot choose
__________________
"The total harmonic distortion is not a measure of the degree of distastefulness to the listener and it is recommended that its use should be discontinued." D. Masa, 1938
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 11:06 AM   #33
VHF man is offline VHF man  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Cdom (CMC) usually has the net effect of promoting an odd order distortion signature and I believe this is a part of the answer but not the entire answer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 01:14 PM   #34
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Close to Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
This is an interesting comparison. The 3281/1302 are my favourite output transistors... If you can get all pairs of the 2922/1216, it would be worth trying them again.

Cheers
I noticed "The End" thread here.
I have all pairs of the 2922/1216, but the PCB layout of the mk.2 version do not allow two pairs per channel.
In the mk.3 version mr. L.H. Clausen do not recommend two pairs per channel because of oscillation risk. He recommend instead one add-on output PCB with a pair of 2922/1216 and then the possibility of biamping. Mr. Clausen took the view, that the amplifier outputs were "stiff" enough with one set of output transistors and about 120-140W sine/ one channel.

rgds.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 03:48 AM   #35
diyAudio Member
 
Smiley 09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: at Lake coast
Default MKIII - SanKens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakstereo20 View Post
I noticed "The End" thread here.
I have all pairs of the 2922/1216, but the PCB layout of the mk.2 version do not allow two pairs per channel.
In the mk.3 version mr. L.H. Clausen do not recommend two pairs per channel because of oscillation risk. He recommend instead one add-on output PCB with a pair of 2922/1216 and then the possibility of biamping. Mr. Clausen took the view, that the amplifier outputs were "stiff" enough with one set of output transistors and about 120-140W sine/ one channel.

rgds.
@ Leakstereo20

I see on This Page that this Guy made beautifully exactly the the version MKIII as You describe.
There isn't any comments about Sound but the finished modules looks excellent and ready for bi-amping as You point out.
It would be interesting to hear some impressions about how the finished amplifier sounds . .

Regards
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 06:19 AM   #36
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Jakarta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley 09 View Post
It would be interesting to hear some impressions about how the finished amplifier sounds . .
It was the only BJT amp that I could accept... The bass was more like mosfet amps than bjt ones... I was shocked that a bjt amp could sound that good
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 11:28 AM   #37
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Close to Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley 09 View Post
@ Leakstereo20

I see on This Page that this Guy made beautifully exactly the the version MKIII as You describe.
There isn't any comments about Sound but the finished modules looks excellent and ready for bi-amping as You point out.
It would be interesting to hear some impressions about how the finished amplifier sounds . .

Regards
Hi Smiley,

I am the guy who has build more than 12 different "The End" amplifiers since 1989. The MK I, MK II and MK 3 version. The pictures you found on my Picasa VBKOLSEN site is the MK 3 version with RingEmitter Transistors from Sanken.
The MK 3's sounds just beautiful on my AR3a Improved speakers without any form for agressive tweeter- midrange sound .....silk top , very defined voice and piano midrange and a precise, clean thunder- bottom bass reproduction.

To test the quality of the amplifier we used the JBL XPL160 and XPL200 with the problematic titanium midrange and titanium tweeter. Standard amplifiers sounds agressive and hissing on the mentioned speakers while Audio Research and similar quality amplifiers gets the finetuned sound out of the XPL160/200.

JBL4412 , 4311B and L96 has been tested as well with great dynamics and no irritating spikes .....which normally occurs with cheaper amplifiers on the JBL monitors.

Find at least two "The End" amplifiers on my amateur site and links to larger construction pictures at Picasa VBKOLSEN.

If you have a little patience I am about to translate the whole MK.3 construction manual. Double PSU a.m..

Best rgds.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 11:39 AM   #38
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Close to Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
It was the only BJT amp that I could accept... The bass was more like mosfet amps than bjt ones... I was shocked that a bjt amp could sound that good
Another friend who, like me, found the philosopher's stone

There are not that much difference between "The End mk.II" and "The End mk.3" version in sound reproduction. The Toshiba 2SC3281/2SA1302 OP's has a strong point in the mk.II version, sounding very close to the mk.3 version.

Rgds.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 06:28 PM   #39
diyAudio Member
 
Smiley 09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: at Lake coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay

It was the only BJT amp that I could accept... The bass was more like mosfet amps than bjt ones... I was shocked that a bjt amp could sound that good
@ Jay

As You say, this is really hard to believe but such a nice surprises are really rare these days and are very ''WELCOME''.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakstereo20 View Post
Hi Smiley,

I am the guy who has build more than 12 different "The End" amplifiers since 1989. The MK I, MK II and MK 3 version.

If you have a little patience I am about to translate the whole MK.3 construction manual. Double PSU a.m..

Best rgds.

@ Leakstereo20

I was really impressed visiting Yours site and see there all the beautiful work & rework on Yous Speakers and not to mention all the amplifiers (vintage) all the beauties inc. the the new ones . . . speechless, I can just say VOW to all Yours great work You made.
The sound You describe about MKIII amp is really excellent and I do search for the same one (not sub_ppm THD) for quite a while.
I would gladly wait for You to finish MK.3 construction manual.
My wish is to try to make this amp and taste the sound You already enjoy.

Nice regards,

Andreas
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 08:17 PM   #40
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Close to Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley 09 View Post

@ Leakstereo20

I was really impressed visiting Yours site and see there all the beautiful work & rework on Yous Speakers and not to mention all the amplifiers (vintage) all the beauties inc. the the new ones . . . speechless, I can just say VOW to all Yours great work You made.
The sound You describe about MKIII amp is really excellent and I do search for the same one (not sub_ppm THD) for quite a while.
I would gladly wait for You to finish MK.3 construction manual.
My wish is to try to make this amp and taste the sound You already enjoy.

Nice regards,

Andreas
Hi Andreas,
Yes, I have made some amplifiers during the last three decades , and the idea with my amateur site is just free exchange of ideas and help to other hifi interested people like myself. Sometimes one can't solve a problem...then it's nice to get some clues and tips. My first valveamp with motor-boating before the internet could give me some answers, was not that fun!

I am on page 6 out of 14 pages with the translation. It takes quite some time. The manual for "The End MK 3.1" and "Millennium" was never translated to English in Denmark as far as I know.

I need to get permission from L.C.Audio before I upload the 14 construction pages to Picasa web and VBKOLSEN.

See you

Rgds.
Kim
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:11 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2