Easiest/Economical way to build multichannel Class A/B amp? Suggestions Welcome

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm planning an amplifier build for an outdoor sound setup for my father around the swimming pool, and porch/patio area.

I'm wanting to minimize labor on my part, I don't etch my own PCB, and I don't feel like making bunch of veroboard amps, because there's more effort /errors in soldering connections. Those boards are fine for amps I build myself, but not for a multichannel amp IMO. However, if an IC chip solution is easy, and I can use vero with that, it may be OK.

I was originally going to build a massive mono amp, for raw power and simplicity, but it was mentioned about having different volume controls for different sets of speakers, instead of them just being wired all together. Also mentioned he wants stereo regardless, so mono is out of the question now.

I believe it's better to make a multichannel amp instead of in-wall speaker volume controls, but I could be wrong, that's why I'm asking some suggestions/opinions.

I've considered just getting 3 stereo Rod Elliott P3A boards, but I'm open to options on easiest way to build and other ideas too. I desire at least 3 pairs of speakers (6 channels)

Ok the requirements for power and speakers are not real strict, other than the fact they are plastic cone & rubber surround to use outside in the weather, and they have to be loud enough to hear clearly about 10-30 feet away. They will actually be located 5 feet on each side of the swimming pool, and and 30 feet away, but on the porch, so they don't have to be super loud, but loud enough to hear everything with noise from water and people. I figured I'll build some small sealed speaker boxes to keep critters out the speaker boxes, and get some cheap 5 or 6.5 inch plastic/rubber speakers from Parts Express to put in them, and some plastic tweeters. They don't need a lot of bass, just need to be loud enough and handle high wattage so they don't die if turned up sometimes.

My guess would be 40-100W RMS per speaker. My goal was 200-400W total for main speakers. It doesn't matter, just as long as they are loud enough.

For bass, I'll use a Subwoofer PA box with two cheap car audio 15's in it, so they play proper in the big box with another amp, so I'm not real concerned with that, because that's the easy part. I'll have at least 200W for that.

Last edited:
2pcs QUAD 405 125W+125W power amplifier kit | eBay

About $15 for a stereo pair. I've made these things work just fine.

But why not just buy a bunch of secondhand 1990s commodity hi fi Japanese amplifiers from eBay for about $10 each complete? You're not looking for perfection after all, and that would be 'plug'n'play.

Or these class D things?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEWEST-TA..._HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3cbb914026

Or a '400W' 5.1 surround amp for about $70?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-1-HOME-..._HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item519b111896

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.