build a simple yet effective volume control (attenuation) of analog ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2011, 03:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default build a simple yet effective volume control (attenuation) of analog ?

well..... the amplifier i had is DIY, so currently it has no control over volume, so the volume will quite big on my ear (deaf ?) SO i would like to built and simple ones which located before the input stage ?

According to my knowledge, it is something like voltage divider, so what value should i use or any component addition to make it better ? (don't make it complicated)
My aim was to reserve the best of the quality, while have access to volume control.
( i heard something like don't build near the input stage, as inductance will effect the signal ?)
Old 24th September 2011, 05:19 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Have you thought of using a volume control? The value needs to be significantly greater than the output impedance of the previous stage, and somewhat smaller than the input impedance of the next stage.
Old 25th September 2011, 12:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

aw... thats confusing...... i didn't though it was so confiscated ?
I thought there are universal volume control ? (or they are not good in quality ?)
well... the output impedance of previous stage is constantly different (because of change sources), but input impedance of next stage is easy though. (thats why they use pre-amp ?)
Old 25th September 2011, 12:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Use a simple potentiometer (adjustable voltage divider). The total value of the potentiometer should be high enough to keep from overloading your source and low enough to effectively 'feed' your amplifier. Perhaps an audio taper 20K device would serve...
Old 25th September 2011, 01:03 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

hm... low means ? ( i though potentiometer's bottom value is 0 ?) THe source won't easily overload my amplifier, just overload my ears (maybe sometimes need for booming party) Well.... what i was asking, is what value is kinda nice for making the attenuation better (uniform and the volume is conpletely 0 when i JUST turn it to maximum)
A schematic diagram of the setting is welcome (easier for explanation ?)
Old 25th September 2011, 04:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

A 20K pot should do it as others have said, this is basically a passive pre.
A potentiometer is just a vairiable resistor so at its minimum it will give you 20K of resistance in your signal path at its maximum it will give you zero resistance so you get your full volume that you have now its simple and works well with most power amps.
there is a down side that it does tend to roll off frequency extreams so a Buffer stage after it would correct that, but thats another story

Alan
Old 25th September 2011, 06:40 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

roll off frequency ? when and how ? (don't quite understand why potentiometer cause that) and what is a buffer stage ?
Old 25th September 2011, 11:41 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The amount of resistance presented to your source and the input of the amplifier will be variable when changing to position of the potentiometer. Since there is likely capacitor coupling present on one side, the other side or most likely both sides you will be basically creating a variable RC filter effect. For simplicity I wouldn't worry about it too much.

A buffer is simply an amplifier that has a gain of only 1 and just isolates or separates one part if the system from another.
Old 25th September 2011, 12:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

hm.... so it doesn't create much different to the output ? (roll off) well.... how much it effects and what extend it will cut off ? (any reference value of frequency it start roll off ?)
you mention for simplicity, you wouldn't worry, if i would want to avoid this problem, what can i do ? (example circuit ?)
Old 25th September 2011, 01:02 PM   #10
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

A volume control is not a circuit, it is a component. Otherwise known as a potentiometer. It controls volume by acting as a potential divider. There is plenty on the web about this. Just google the words you don't understand.

Hide this!Advertise here!