Amplifier burning resistor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently repaired this amplifier. It was shutting down and blowing fuses. I replaced all output transistors, fuses and a lot of resistors which were recommend changes by Manufacturer. Could you please hep me to determine why R2-24 is still causing a problem? I powered amplifier without speakers or input. R2-24 burned in 1 second. I turned of amp immediately.
Thanks

Attachments

• Mixamp.PNG
    Mixamp.PNG
    87.1 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
R2-14 is definitely open. It was a new resistor yesterday. Thanks for your expertise. The traces are very tiny so I will look for excessive solder and study the schematic to the best of my ability. I would sure like to know what caused R2-14 to burn as well.
What are the possibilities?

Trust me on this, new or not if R2_14 is open then SC5200 is bad. Shorted Q2_8 puts 73 volts right across R2_14. No other path does that can be seen on schematic as posted. Measure ohms between base of Q2_8 and ground to check out the SC5200. Bet you find a dead short.
Doc

I have for lack of confidence in my testing skills, replaced all resistors and transistors again. I would rather do things right then my current component swapping method. I am about to power up amplifier. Glass is half empty and I am expecting a little mushroom cloud. Board is mounted, transistors are mounted to heatsinks. I have powered the amp without fuses and all is well. Can I substitute a lower transformer voltage to look for anomalies or should I hit switch and watch for sparks?

I don't have a variac. First attapt, I blew fuses. Last time, fuses didn't blow but a resitor in series with output trans burned. Transformer puts 56-0-56 in to each channel. What if I were to feed 25-0-25 and look for heat. I am just guessing here. I like the lower fuse idea. Is current dependent on how hard it is being driven? If so, I could put in some 2a and idle it. The resitor that burned was to the supply of the output transistor.
Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.