"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets

AP

AudioPower only have power supplies up to 650W as I see on web page, they don't have 2KW SMPS? or more than 650W? 900 or higher?

Why not have higher?

I was think to use 1 power supply for 700x2 Amplifier, then I need two power supplies?
Hi,
AudioPower has no interest in PA field, I believe that in the coming months, will be oriented more toward high-end finished products with innovation in software and also with dsp algo owner. (certainly will keep the kits or modules for fans) then, for amateur or audiophile use, "AP" has the DPS-500 / S, which is capable of providing 1Kw of repetitive bursts, and it is obvious that in this philosophy, are used one per channel. Therefore, it has been well studied for compact mono-block class D or AB. From a few questions I receive, I understand how much confusion exists in the world of HI-FI. a truly amazing is, choose a very fine amp, and then supplies you want as if it were a lamp? as if I have a rally car with normal suspension hahaha! What do I do with the 300 hp?
With a DPS-500 / S can be equipped mospower up to 650w output rms(this mean over 1Kw in presence of reactive load). is very different in the PA field, but for this, "MDI" which is the R & D for AudioPower Also, we have 2.4 KW SMPS for 1U with diagnostic system. and a full board with 2x2400w (4R) 1U. but this has nothing to do with high fidelity to home.
I understand that to some may seem unusual(i ref to feedback circuit), but many have realized the importance of the PSU that should act as a second amplifier to meet the current demands (if it is regulated type), I found the only way to do it (and was not easy if you want to consider the absence of harmonics and compact size)

Thanks AP2, qusp, and others, for your explanations :)

So I'm gaining the idea that the DPS-600 (Reg LME) is compact device that is a bit limited in current delivery for a powerful home Hi-Fi amplifier. The higher the voltage the lower the available current. But will be OK in a medium power amplifier or using two or more SMPS per loudspeaker.

The 15V rail drop that you measured on a linear supply, I presume that causes a reduction or lack of transient response. Most Hi-Fi is like this. What I, and others, use and make reduces this flattening effect by using very thick mains cables from the service head, and sometimes from the main cable under the street, to the Trafo wires themselves. The difference is enormous. The vast extra transient response we get by doing these things is worth the effort and also the music in general comes 'alive'.

So maybe now with your SMPS the light bulb cables that nearly everyone uses can be used by me but the weight and slam, focus, imaging, drama, still remain?

AP2:
Is there a DPS-500 S 75 / 85 (Reg LME) and would it, or something similar be available in this group buy?

Last edited:

So I'm gaining the idea that the DPS-600 (Reg LME) is compact device that is a bit limited in current delivery for a powerful home Hi-Fi amplifier. The higher the voltage the lower the available current. But will be OK in a medium power amplifier or using two or more SMPS per loudspeaker.

AP2:
Is the DPS-500 S (Reg LME) available in this group buy?
No, becouse need re-wiring on trafo for lme voltage. apart just dps-500 use custom very special trafo. without lme,yes, it is ready :)

The 15V rail drop that you measured on a linear supply, I presume that causes a reduction or lack of transient response. Most Hi-Fi is like this. What I, and others, use and make reduces this flattening effect by using very thick mains cables from the service head, and sometimes from the main cable under the street, to the Trafo wires themselves. The difference is enormous. The vast extra transient response we get by doing these things is worth the effort and also the music in general comes 'alive'.

So maybe now with your SMPS the light bulb cables that nearly everyone uses can be used by me but the weight and slam, focus, imaging, drama, still remain?

AP2:

Just be ready with the documentation of the DPS-600, I include some notes about ac cord. this SMPS (all) are very sensitive to the resistance of the wire, this demonstrates the low impedance of the SMPS. The best performance is obtained with a wire of 2,0 or 2.5 mm (one pole) (depeand power)..:)

AP2:

not me, i'm one of those 'just in case' guys, I run a mix of DIY PCOCC-A 10awg solid core (its Oyaide EE/F-S 2.6 internal wall cable, think of it as Romex for nut-jobs), Oyaide Tunami, Neotech NEP-3001 and some experimental VHAUDIO UPOCC Starquad. I will be using the VHAUDIO and Neotech for the internal power and output wiring. I like to have all bases covered, but you wont catch me hardwiring my amp to the spur =)

AP2, what qty do we need for a 2nd run of the DPS600 with LME reg?

Does limiting to only one specific voltage option help rather than offering many? I think most want 45/55V from what I've seen in the thread.

AP2, How many units ordered would be necessary to make another batch of 45/55V DPS600 a viable proposition from your point of view. From the look of things that voltage combination is the most popular so would seem the most likely to be the subject of any future GB.

AP2, How many units ordered would be necessary to make another batch of 45/55V DPS600 a viable proposition from your point of view. From the look of things that voltage combination is the most popular so would seem the most likely to be the subject of any future GB.

Independant of voltage output version eg, 45 or 55V, problem is lme voltage, that customizze this product.
i think try 50pz total.
maybe can be a valid idea, if we write a pre-list for this,just for see.
Independant of this, Monday start new production for base version. after, from this, start custom version and just this i need know

Can I have 2 of the remaining 55/65 DPS600 then. There are 4 remaining from what I could see last count.

I will PM my details.

Update
BuildMeSomething 2x DPS-600-45/55V (Reg LME)
lolo 6+4 x DPS-600-45/55V (Reg LME)
Emphrygian 2x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)
igor0203 2x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)
QRikard 2x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)
qusp 2x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)
NicMac 2x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)
Arthur 4x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)
hochopeper 2 x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)
--------------------------------
availability 2xDPS-600-55/65V yes
45/55V- ended
---------------
payments: Lolo; QRikard; NicMac;Qusp;BuildMeSomething;

Last edited:
AP2,

So is this correct that with the DPS-600 65 / 75 (Reg LME) it can start at 400mA bias current (in 4 seconds) but can't be turned up to 600mA (or 1200mA) like the 45 / 55 can? Or 55 / 65 can?

Owens sample could only start at 600mA because it had a very long start time?

Last edited:
AP2,

So is this correct that with the DPS-600 65 / 75 (Reg LME) it can start at 400mA bias current (in 4 seconds) but can't be turned up to 600mA (or 1200mA) like the 45 / 55 can? Or 55 / 65 can?

Owens sample could only start at 600mA because it had a very long start time?
sure that with new startup time, it go with 600mA.
only 45/55 version can support 1A of bias current (increase after startup) but is clare that need heatsink (assemble profile of dps-600 in heatsink).
I'm not happy with this solution, you need dps-500 or other smps for this.
why? we are always miracles..:)

Last edited:
Hi,
Update
availability 2xDPS-600-55/65V yes
45/55V- ended
---------------
payments:
Lolo; QRikard; NicMac;Qusp;BuildMeSomething;hochopeper;

Update
Arthur 4x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME) ??
KiWik 2x DPS-600-55/65 (Reg LME)
55/65V- ended
45/55V- ended
---------------
payments:

Hi,
Update
Emphrygian 2x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)??
KiWik 2x DPS-600-55/65 (Reg LME)??
55/65V- ended
45/55V- ended
---------------
payments:

I'm sorry for diy that rest out of GB.
I will keep you informed on shipments of this GB and on the new production.
I would like to thank Owen for the measures and the time devoted,and also thanks to guys who believed in me.
Now, can I remind you that my measurements of the DPS-600 placed at the beginning of the history in this thread, are very similar to measurements of Owen.:)

Regards

Last edited: