"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets

To IanAS:
IanAS... updated, forget the weight above the weight goes to technology :)... this SMPS has been designed specifically for the amplifiers, the behavior was measured step by step on the response of the amplifier. in other areas, we have far exceeded the linear transformer, to the point of impossible to get performances with a transformer. I'm sorry, it's a difficult reality to accept, understand, but it is a truth and it is perfectly demonstrable.
assembly is clean, a DPS-600 weighs 430g,no emi/rfi or other noise.

Last edited:
AP2, can you say more about the remote control please?

Remote control is simple 2 pin switch (open/close) open = ON.
in off position, dps-600 switch in break state, in this condition voltage output (all) are 0V.
from Vac side,absorption is only 1mA AC (according to EU energy saved)
---
the output side, includes an optically isolated input (break fast when put to gnd) and an opto-isolated output, this pin goes to gnd after the startup phase. (this can be used for activate some things on amp)

Last edited:
oops!

Hi,
Update
BuildMeSomething 2x DPS-600-45/55V (Reg LME)
lolo 6+4 x DPS-600-45/55V (Reg LME)
Emphrygian 2x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)
igor0203 2x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)
QRikard 2x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)
qusp 2x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)
NicMac 2x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)
Arthur 4x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)
--------------------------------
availability 4xDPS-600-55/65V yes
45/55V- ended
---------------
payments: Lolo; QRikard; NicMac;Qusp;Paul(?) sorry, i need you nik name Paul

Sorry about that, with sending you a PM with my name etc. I forgot to do the opposite with the payment and include my pseudonym, my bad...

Paul.

Last edited:
Update
BuildMeSomething 2x DPS-600-45/55V (Reg LME)
lolo 6+4 x DPS-600-45/55V (Reg LME)
Emphrygian 2x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)
igor0203 2x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)
QRikard 2x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)
qusp 2x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)
NicMac 2x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)
Arthur 4x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)
--------------------------------
availability 4xDPS-600-55/65V yes
45/55V- ended
---------------
payments: Lolo; QRikard; NicMac;Qusp;BuildMeSomething;

Roberto,
I see you are closing the GB tomorrow. I would like to take advantage of the GB discount you have arranged for DPS-600 buyers, but like many other Wire builders, I live in North America and require the 110V option. I have been awaiting Owen's DPS-500 test results before committing. Does waiting for Owen's test results mean we will lose out on the discounted price for a Wire customized DPS-500? The full retail price of the DPS-500/S with "CustomizationForU" is more than I care to spend on this right now, even if it does produce the same outstanding test results as the DPS-600.

Either way, thanks a lot for your participation in this thread!

AP2:
Has the DPS-600 start up time been reduced from the 16 seconds Owen measured?

AP2:
If I'm using 8 old style lateral MOSFETs then the bias will need to be double Owens suggested optimum, eg, 1.2 amps. A friend is using 400mA for 8 dies so that won't be a problem for the DPA-600. But will 1200mA?

AP2:
Owen got 67Volts / 84 Volts. You've stated 65 / 75. Which is it? Is there a choice? Could I have 75 / 85?

AP2:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...lme49830-lateral-mosfets-full-power-pulse.png Is that about 2.5 Volts of sag? So that would sag less if the voltage was a bit less than 67?? It's not sagging at all at the 10k graph. What would it be like at 100Hz? Post 1117: "(67V to consider that we are almost out of range limit of the controller) I sent this version has the optimum range at 62-63V". So I can't have 75 / 85 Volts then?

Owen:
Did you hear a difference between the lower and higher bias settings; 300mA and 600mA?

Owen:
Am I correct that your measurements at post 1115 were done with the DPS-600 NOT regulated for the LME?? Would regulators delete that 120Hz spike?

DSP-400
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...l-mosfets-thd-n-ratio-vs-output-8r-dps400.png
DSP-600
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...ral-mosfets-thd-n-ratio-vs-measured-level.png I can't make the image large. It's in post 1115.
The 400 is better? Why is that?

Owen:
In the final sum up you seem to be not quite satisfied with the supply, saying you are still looking for the best supply. Is that just about the non 110V or is there more? You said the noise is not as good as you'd like?

Sorry for all these questions. A month ago this website appears to have stopped emailing me that new posts were happening so I had to catch up quite a yesterday and today.

Last edited:
Hi AP2,

In post #1421 you mention that new batch will start on June 1st and take 45 days, will this new batch produce more DPS-600-45/55V (Reg LME) ? I'm asking this because they're mentioned to not be available anymore..

I'd be interested in 2x DPS-600-45/55V (Reg LME) if they will be produced on new batch. thanks!

AP2:
yes, now startup end in 3-4 sec (@400mA)

AP2:
If I'm using 8 old style lateral MOSFETs then the bias will need to be double Owens suggested optimum, eg, 1.2 amps. A friend is using 400mA for 8 dies so that won't be a problem for the DPA-600. But will 1200mA?

1,2A of bias is not possible with this smps.
I suggest you stay around 400mA, (it is my personal belief, with respect, you can not hear a difference). is more important to solve other parameters, (that ear immediately instead of 0,001% thd) such as a decrease in the voltage transients (this is catastrophic for the linearity and changes the timbre of the instruments). or, the harmonic component present on the output voltage during loading. and finally, AC line stabilization, the DPS-600 is incredible in this, 195 to 255Vac output produces only a few mV, even with noise signals fast.
AP2:

Owen got 67Volts / 84 Volts. You've stated 65 / 75. Which is it? Is there a choice? Could I have 75 / 85?
65/75V includes LME regulated. opc have a sample (just for try) without lme regulator.you have to consider the output load, then 65V is already very high for this compact smps. then i fixed at 65V max voltage output.

AP2:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...lme49830-lateral-mosfets-full-power-pulse.png Is that about 2.5 Volts of sag? So that would sag less if the voltage was a bit less than 67?? It's not sagging at all at the 10k graph. What would it be like at 100Hz? Post 1117: "(67V to consider that we are almost out of range limit of the controller) I sent this version has the optimum range at 62-63V". So I can't have 75 / 85 Volts then?
I measured on DPS-600 (65V) up to 5-6 volt drop at 120Hz not reactive load. (1KVA trafo 2x100.000uF,i measured up to 12-15V drop voltage.
-----------------------
The DPS-400 has been in production since 2005, I know absolutely no problems in PA use.
Only problem now emerged, is due to my mistake in trying to resolve the current startup (when you disconnect the ac cable). now fully resolved, it behaves exactly the same as the off via remote control.
this is stable even at 2x10.000uF output, I think it can be an elegant solution for the sub, considering the compact size and high reliability demonstrated over time, apart ultra low noise emission.
-----
The DPS-500/S have a limit of 78V but you have consider drop voltage very small, i think that you need this smps for your amplifier.:)

Roberto,
I see you are closing the GB tomorrow. I would like to take advantage of the GB discount you have arranged for DPS-600 buyers, but like many other Wire builders, I live in North America and require the 110V option. I have been awaiting Owen's DPS-500 test results before committing. Does waiting for Owen's test results mean we will lose out on the discounted price for a Wire customized DPS-500? The full retail price of the DPS-500/S with "CustomizationForU" is more than I care to spend on this right now, even if it does produce the same outstanding test results as the DPS-600.

Either way, thanks a lot for your participation in this thread!

Hi and..thank.
the advantages of this GB, are two.
1) know first, what is required, because of rewiring the transformer needed for LME voltage (this is not standard aux voltage).
2) a great discount, given that the DPS-600 standard (for generic class AB) will brief on the shop at € 168. at this price, you should add the changes for the Wire Amp.
In this GB, the price was set at 140 € all inclusive. I remember (I think it is already visible in the photos), that the cost of production of this SMPS, is at least 3 times that of a typical SMPS. I feel that this has not been thoroughly assessed. Problem for the next batch, it is right to know what is required. (for the problem of lme voltage) Therefore, summing up will be present on the shop, in addition to DPS-600/DA (for class D), also the DPS-600 standard. The difference is that aux voltage is + /-15V regulated.

regards

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi AP2,

In post #1421 you mention that new batch will start on June 1st and take 45 days, will this new batch produce more DPS-600-45/55V (Reg LME) ? I'm asking this because they're mentioned to not be available anymore..

I'd be interested in 2x DPS-600-45/55V (Reg LME) if they will be produced on new batch. thanks!

I would be also in for 6 or 7 DPS-600-45/55V (Reg LME) if they become available in a few weeks again.
BR,

AP2:

yes it has, not sure to what, the number 4seconds springs to mind but dont quote me on that

AP2:
it certainly wont start into that load, its capable of that, but you would have to start lower and then increase the current, at the 55/65v (and you are wanting higher?) I think heat would be the problem. I see AP2 has cleared that up, I think at lower voltages its capable of 1A adjusted after startup

AP2:
those are the available units, to do a higher one they need to buy a bulk amount of the power units, so its pretty unlikely they'll do it for a single order
AP2:
diyAudio Is that about 2.5 Volts of sag? So that would sag less if the voltage was a bit less than 67?? It's not sagging at all at the 10k graph. What would it be like at 100Hz? Post 1117: "(67V to consider that we are almost out of range limit of the controller) I sent this version has the optimum range at 62-63V". So I can't have 75 / 85 Volts then?
I doubt its got much to do with the voltage, more the current and extended pulse, that would be why you dont see it in the 10khz. I dont know that I would call it sag

Owen:
Did you hear a difference between the lower and higher bias settings; 300mA and 600mA?
i'll leave that
Owen:
Am I correct that your measurements at post 1115 were done with the DPS-600 NOT regulated for the LME?? Would regulators delete that 120Hz spike?
correct it didnt have a regulator for the front end, this is also why the voltage differential is more. the ones in the GB have both regulated so the smaller difference is due to regulator dropout I presume

Owen:
In the final sum up you seem to be not quite satisfied with the supply, saying you are still looking for the best supply. Is that just about the non 110V or is there more? You said the noise is not as good as you'd like?
are you reading the same thread? as mentioned, he said its pretty much as good as it gets. he cant use it, bit of a stumbling block, he had to do the tests at work

sorry guys, I put this together earlier, but AP2 has answered it in the meantime

Last edited:
AP

Audiopower only have power supplies up to 650W as I see on web page, they don't have 2KW SMPS? or more than 650W? 900 or higher?

Why not have higher?

I was think to use 1 power supply for 700x2 Amplifier, then I need two power supplies?

even if they had higher wattage, the dps600 uses feedback to regulate the supply, you cannot connect it to 2 loads

I would be also in for 6 or 7 DPS-600-45/55V (Reg LME) if they become available in a few weeks again.
BR,

AP2, How many units ordered would be necessary to make another batch of 45/55V DPS600 a viable proposition from your point of view. From the look of things that voltage combination is the most popular so would seem the most likely to be the subject of any future GB.

What???

I cannot connect one SMPS power supply to feed two channels power amplifier???

Then I need two DPS600 for 2 channel amplifiers?

AP? help?

Yes. That's been covered a number of times though perhaps buried in this thread a bit since there has been some evangelical banter that's tended to detract from the true technical merit of different power supply topologies.

In this case one of the trade-offs for the tight regulation of the supply rails is that the supply needs to sense the behaviour and cannot do so in a stable fashion unless it is tied to a single load.

Yes. That's been covered a number of times though perhaps buried in this thread a bit since there has been some evangelical banter that's tended to detract from the true technical merit of different power supply topologies.

In this case one of the trade-offs for the tight regulation of the supply rails is that the supply needs to sense the behaviour and cannot do so in a stable fashion unless it is tied to a single load.

hmm

If i remember very well, i have see many folks connect two amplifiers to one power supply, regulated supply.

are we talking about regulated power supplies in general or audiopower only?

I am confused now.

Then we can use unregulated supply for two channel amplifier 2x700W?

hmm

If i remember very well, i have see many folks connect two amplifiers to one power supply, regulated supply.

are we talking about regulated power supplies in general or audiopower only?

One channel only is just for the audiopower smps. Because their control circuit for the regulation cannot handle the complexity/speed of two loads at once.
So other supplies can most likely handle two channels.