"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets

@QRikard:
60° max, is in good range for home use,consider A-B class without fan.

@clocktower: Think yes, maybe you have link?

@Lolo: We talked for 2R, so we chose 45/55V.
Ref to Wire Amp SIN 1Khz continuos
with this voltage you have 330W (2R) and 170w (4R);
You can get with 55/65V 520W (2R) and 270W (4R);
(with burst can get a +5% power) the difference is small, because the DPS-600, has a very good adjustment vs. the load.
For the next batch will pass 45 days from 1 - June

------------------------
GB in this way is not stable, i need that GB is clare,please update.

Regards

Last edited:
But what do you benefit from going to 600mA bias? I'll stick at 400mA.
This might make perfect sense in a lower power amplifier with lower voltage rails. If you like class A, then go right ahead and push up to or beyond the 1A mark.
:cool:

Qrikard: its ok, i'll take the 55/65 if need be, but if it came to it, sorry but a list created at this late stage does not trump emails i've been sending Roberto for months, or the last list, which I was 3rd on. this list should have really been copied from that and people asked to confirm they wanted to go ahead.

I just seem to remember that the modushop heatsinks are pretty light on for their size and there was some confusion as to how they were rated, i've often seen them replaced with other sinks. but the main reason I was saying I had so much to burn is i'm running a digital crossover, the tweeters will be burning bugger all, the power supply for the highs will burn more than the amp by a long way, I only expect to need 10-15wpc at the most. Realistically I will probably end up using the LPUHP for the tweeters and then use 2 of the other 'the wire' amps for bass, which I think it will still comfortably do, do to the factors above

Last edited:
Roberto,

Yes, we did discuss the 2ohm issue if driving the woofers in parallel. I still would like the 45/55 version, but there seem to be more demand than stock and I would feel guilty if people are missing out because of my large order. 45 days is too long a waiting for most people I guess. I also been talking with Roberto for a while now, nevermind..

Conclusion: if there are enought units, I would like 6 of them in 45/55v, if not, I guess I will have to take the 55/65v. sorry for the confusion.
BTW, the money will be sent to you tomorrow, today is pay day. :cool:

Last edited:
Roberto,

Yes, we did discuss the 2ohm issue if driving the woofers in parallel. I still would like the 45/55 version, but there seem to be more demand than stock and I would feel guilty if people are missing out because of my large order. 45 days is too long a waiting for most people I guess.

Conclusion: if there are enought units, I would like 6 of them in 45/55v, if not, I guess I will have to take the 55/65v. sorry for the confusion.
BTW, the money will be sent to you tomorrow, today is pay day. :cool:

Hi all,
Lolo: maybe i not know your reason that chose 45V even for MW/TW, why not 55V at 8R?

I'm sorry if anyone rest without this smps or waiting 45 days, but if you see, GB have one month (started with 195pz in stock). not is money the problem but organize a new production of power-unit (that chose voltage in side).
As I said before, from main pcb derived also DPS-600/DA (for D Class), then is not the qty of main pcb version the problem,but voltage options.
I add just for info, that NCore version requires different setup just in side of power-unit.
well...one product in this way, require a expensive job in production.
so, if possible, i ask a clare decision of voltage setup.

Regards
P.S.I have ready some measures, even for DPS-400 (solve stupid problem of startup and clean break (when disconnect ac cable). now switch-off as remote control.

Go away for a day or two and suddenly your missing a lot of important stuff! Shame on me... ;-)

Anyway, I'm in for 2x DPS-600-55/65V, so the list thus far is:

QRikard 2x DPS-600-45/55V (Reg LME)
BuildMeSomething 2x DPS-600-45/55V (Reg LME)
lolo 6x DPS-600-45/55V (Reg LME)
qusp 2x DPS-600-45/55V (Reg LME)
Emphrygian 2x DPS-600-55/65V (Reg LME)

Thank you Andrew for going into detail and explaining this, highly appreciated.
This means that my previous calculations are for the worst case sinewave tests and that the reality with music is much better. Since that worked for me with adequate results and that the new example from andrew matches my application except that the modushop heatsink is larger (minus quality issues) i will have a fairly large safety factor on the 3U chassis so i'm happy.
Thanks for all your help.

Searched a bit without luck, andrew could you please link/append bensens and also your speadsheet? Will be nice to have for the future.

Thanks AP2 for confirming my guess that 60 °C is reasonable max temp.

@qusp, i compiled the list from the last two days. I thought it would be practical since all units were taken. The internal PMs i cant say anything about since i don't have access to them but i agree that takes priority. The list i compiled was from when AP2 announced the current availability on the 28th of may. Check post #1401 by me, not perfectly clear but i reported an interest for 2 of the 45/55 units (and started asking questions again...).
Even on that list you are guaranteed 2 supplies (last person), so no matter how you count you will get the supplies since he had 12 of them.

AP2:
I'm leaning more and more towards taking two of the larger ones due to the relatively small increase in power consumption, will decide by tonight hope that's okay.

qusp: you are correct about the weight, i think i checked the weight of the modushop sinks a while back (cant remember where i found it) but they are light by comparison. But with a large safety factor that should still work good enough. Still a better set of heatsinks (and chassis) would be nice but the problem is price because the ones i have found so far are much more expensive.

the dissipating factors usually given are for devices tied to the dissipator, is it safe to add a 2/w factor for the mica electric isolation?
do you mean the difference in Rth c-s (Thermal resistance from device to heatsink) for the different materials used to connect the device to the heatsink?

Thermal compound alone, with no electrical insulator is lowest Rth c-s. This depends on the area of the device interface, the effectiveness of the clamping action, the smoothness/flatness of the interface surfaces and the thermal conductivity of the compound.
For a big device like a To264 a value of 0.2C/W could be about right for Rth c-s.

Once you add in an electrical insulator the value changes considerably. Consult the manufacturer of the insulator for their advice.
But as a guide that 0.2C/W could increase to any where in the range from 0.3C/W to 1C/W for the same To264 device with the same smoothness of interface surfaces and the same clamping effectiveness.

What is 2/w factor?

Bensen's SOAR spreadsheet
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...-solid-state-amp-calculations.html#post644195

I entered "bensen" and "soar" in search and it came back with just 2 posts. It was that easy to find !!!!

I have offered my version of the SOAR spreadsheet many times.
Just Email me with a request.

I have BJT, FET and Driver versions

Janneman also has a SOAR guide.

Last edited:
well, I am searching right now for the dissipators and realizing the ones below 0.5c/W are pricey! this project will cost me an arm and a leg.. :crazy:
then you understand the price of things..

edit: Andrew, did I misread your last post then? you did mention adding from 0.3 to 1C/W depending on the interface?

Last edited:
.......... did I misread your last post then? you did mention adding from 0.3 to 1C/W depending on the interface?
You misread.

I said
as a guide that 0.2C/W could increase to any where in the range from 0.3C/W to 1C/W for the same To264 device
that is for each device.
You do not ad nor subtract 1C/W from the heatsink specification.

You substitute the expected value for Rth c-s in the model and use that to predict the operating temperatures. Then you look at the de-rated SOAR and decide if the Tc you assumed is good enough. You don't add 1C/W to anything.
Go back and read post1428

Have you read David Eather's paper on determining the SOAR? If not then forget about designing any output stage yourself and copy exactly a known working design.

Last edited:
But as a guide that 0.2C/W could increase to any where in the range from 0.3C/W to 1C/W for the same To264 device with the same smoothness of interface surfaces and the same clamping effectiveness.

oh well.. I am just a stupid cow! :eek:

Have you read David Eather's paper on determining the SOAR? If not then forget about designing any output stage yourself and copy exactly a known working design.

No, sorry I am just a real beginner with no access to such litterature.

Igor, that's exactly what I was saying, you then realize why these amplifiers cost so much money in real life!

Last edited:
It's referred to numerous times on this Form.
It is linked in Bensen's spreadsheet.
Unfortunately the publishers have reorganised their website making direct download much more difficult. But the paper, in two parts, was still there the last time I looked.

You were a beginner two years ago when you joined. What are you now?
I expect a two year Member to research their project. I refuse to spoonfeed.
Other Members may/do think differently from me. I know they do !

It's been reorganised again and much easier to download
David Eather's SOAR paper:
http://home.alphalink.com.au/~cambie/Prac1.zip
http://home.alphalink.com.au/~cambie/Prac2.zip
graphics of results @
http://home.alphalink.com.au/~cambie/ETI466cct.zip

Last edited:
in this odyssey to exchange the heat that affects the size of case and the weight (and weight psu), it still seems far away look at the project we're working on (for a high-end company).
1.5 U (height) and 300mm width) for 2x400W Class AB (2x30Amp at output). without external heat sinks. the heat? I do not know ... ahaha!

You were a beginner two years ago when you joined. What are you now?
I expect a two year Member to research their project. I refuse to spoonfeed.
Other Members make think differently from me. I know they do

thank you for pointing the links and for your help but I did not ask to be spoonfed I think, nor have I pretended being an audio guru of any sort, I am just trying to learn whilst at work, so at a rather slow pace.. If you can't stand ignorance, that's fine, on my side I can't stand arrogance, even an intelligent one.. the only person who can say I am dumb is.. me! :)