"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets

lol :rolleyes::boggled: i tried mate. i guess you'll be going through it after all

@ jtktam : you read it, its not interactive. first 2 rows are input stage voltage and fet voltage, then various bias settings and on the right power into 8, 6, 4, 2ohms for those 2 voltages

Last edited:
qusp 4 x PCB only
L-Train 2 x parts kit and 4 x PCB
Ferrari 4 x PCB only
holminator 2 x pcb and 2 x parts kit
1543 7 x PCB only
mr Slim 2 x pcb only
Cafe Noir 4 x pcb and 2 x parts kits
dillmeister 2 x pcb only
Spacehead 2 x pcb only
multisync 4 x pcb only
QRikard 2x kits 4x PCB
AKN 2 PCB and 2 part kits
jtktam 6 x pcb 6 x parts kit
bada bing 2 x pcb 2 x parts kit
heinz1 2 x pcb
pchw 2 x pcb

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wow... that didn't take too long!

Alright, I'll bump the PCB limit to 100 by adding another one to the panel. I would really like to see 50 kits in order to get good pricing, so if it comes close, preference will be given to those who ordered kits.

I'll field the technical questions this evening.

Regards,
Owen

Hi is it possible to have the boards shipped to england and if so what sort of price we looking at?

Are there any more performance characteristics? THD vs. output power?

Does the LME and the FETs have to be at different supply voltages?

Thanks
Boscoe

Last edited:
no they dont have to be at different voltages, but you get better performance if they are. you can feed them both from the one unregulated supply if you like, thats how it was set up for the measurements, so you can expect even better if you supply the front end with a higher preferably regulated supply. all of this is covered in the first post.

good form pchw!!

yeah that was insanely quick, like less than 24hrs haha i would get kits, but i already have quite a lot of the parts, not least the lme

i'm going to be running these on mf30-1f-75 conrad sinks,which should be good for >150wpc with passive cooling, thinking i might up that with a couple small fans. if anyone else would like to get these let me know, perhaps we can get a discount.

anyone else interested?

we should gb the tx from antek too, havent got time for that too and it would be more logical if someone from that side of the world handled that.

Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
QRikard:

Because the high power is being draw by the lower supply voltage, the only real way to do it is with a transformer with dual taps. I have several here, and they're quite common.

Ideally, if people could agree on common output power, this would be a superb candidate for a group buy. We could ask for custom transformer that was say 60-50-0-50-60 @ 0.1A-7A-0-7A-0.1A with both 120 and 240V primary windings and that would work for everyone that wanted about 300W into 8 ohms.

With that setup you could run a simple full bridge rectifier with several large caps, and then run the higher voltage to the PSU board being offered in the headphone amp GB, and you'd have a nicely regulated front end supply that was 7-10V above the mosfet supply.

The above is exactly how I'll be doing it!

jtktam:

Everything is already right there... no need to punch anything in. Just decide what load you're going to be driving, decide how much power you want, and that will tell you what rail voltage to use. Then you can pick a bias current based on how much power you're willing to dissipate at idle, and that's pretty much it.

Boscoe:

Shipping overseas is no problem at all. Probably about $10 but I'll get a better estimate posted in the next few days when I know the weight.

I can measure the THD vs. power once I get a proper regulated supply for the front end, and a higher voltage rail setup for the mosfets. I'll post a THD vs power graph from 0.1W up to 300W.

As qusp said, you don't need to run separate supplies but it is strongly encouraged if you want the best performance :)

Cheers,
Owen

qusp 4 x PCB only
Ferrari 4 x PCB only
1543 7 x PCB only
mr Slim 2 x pcb only
dillmeister 2 x pcb only
Spacehead 2 x pcb only
multisync 4 x pcb only
QRikard 2x kits 4x PCB
jtktam 6 x pcb 6 x parts kit
bada bing 2 x pcb 2 x parts kit
heinz1 2 x pcb
pchw 2 x pcb
particleman14 x2 pcb

What is the PSRR?

How organized is the parts kit going to be - all unique items to be individually labeled and/or bagged?

If you can fit D12.5 100 uF caps on the board, I would recommend the UCC EKZE101ELL101MK16S vs the Panasonic EEU-FC2A101L; 110 mOhm Z vs 150 mOhm.

Last edited:
Also, will you be producing boards after this first run?

qusp 4 x PCB only
Ferrari 4 x PCB only
1543 7 x PCB only
mr Slim 2 x pcb only
dillmeister 2 x pcb only
Spacehead 2 x pcb only
multisync 4 x pcb only
QRikard 2x kits 4x PCB