"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets - Page 99 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2012, 01:30 PM   #981
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

they wait for fets, I wait for PSU =)
Old 30th March 2012, 01:57 PM   #982
lolo is offline lolo  France
diyAudio Member

I'm waiting for both!
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:15 AM   #983
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo View Post
I'm waiting for both!
I thought we all were!
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:00 PM   #984
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emphrygian View Post
I thought we all were!
not me but I may as well be
Old 3rd April 2012, 07:18 PM   #985
diyAudio Member

Owen,
in the beginning you proposed a transformer-"We could ask for custom transformer that was say 60-50-0-50-60 @ 0.1A-7A-0-7A-0.1A with both 120 and 240V primary windings and that would work for everyone that wanted about 300W into 8 ohms". I assume this is for one mono block, if I wanted to make a stereo would you recommend doubling that size? As far as power supply most of mine have been CRC for class A amps, is there any significant change in power supply design for class AB amp? I have used the BrianGT power supply boards at chipamp.com for my class A amps would they be suitable for this project? It is built with 4 mur1560 diodes 2caps resisters and 4 more caps.

Bill
Old 4th April 2012, 08:37 AM   #986
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I suggest you change the current rating of the middle windings from 7Aac to, 9Aac to 10Aac.
This gives you 900VA to 1kVA for a 300+300W amplifier.
Old 4th April 2012, 08:49 AM   #987
AKN is offline AKN  Sweden
No snake oil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to AKN
Hi,

I will add an additional small transformer with dual low voltage/ampere windings. Each winding will be in series with each winding on the main transformer and then regulators.

Another solution could be two voltage doublers and regulation after that (ex. NAD 214/216).
Old 4th April 2012, 01:03 PM   #988
npdot is offline npdot  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKN View Post
Hi,

I will add an additional small transformer with dual low voltage/ampere windings. Each winding will be in series with each winding on the main transformer and then regulators.

(ex. NAD 214/216).
I will be using the additional small transformer approach as well. This works well as long as the regulation is relative to main PS ground.

Here is a question for the group: What would happen if the LME PS regulation were relative to "quiet ground" instead of main PS ground?

Last edited by npdot; 4th April 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 4th April 2012, 01:42 PM   #989
IanAS is offline IanAS  England
diyAudio Member

A better way, if you're buying a toroid and it's not potted, is to simply add some windings of your own.

Eg, if it's 2 turns per volt and you want 12V extra. Then do two windings of about 6 turns. You'll have to measure it.

That's how all of ours have been made. 0.56mm diameter enamelled copper wire was used.

I'd suggest to pay attention to amount of extra volts though to allow not just to clear the output stage and the regulators minimum overhead but also for the mains to swing, or if you one day might want to sell the amps to someone with a much higher or lower mains voltage than yours typically is.

On one Hafler DH200 I modified, I added an early stage, done with this method of a replacement toroid with extra windings joined to the main windings and to their own bridge and following main res caps then regs, the early stage earth was about +5V DC from the main earth star and centre tap. I ran a thin wire between the early stage regs earth and the main earth to equalise the voltage.

Last edited by IanAS; 4th April 2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 4th April 2012, 01:55 PM   #990
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanAS View Post
.......... if it's 2 turns per volt and you want 12V extra. Then do two windings of about 24 turns each. ............

Hide this!Advertise here!