"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets

thanks for the confirmation on that AP2, I was pretty sure thats what it was. It would have been easy to cancel that if you were mad with me. I really dont wish you any harm, quite the opposite.

I took advantage of the package was stopped at Palermo ups (waiting for the document) I did remove the amp (you'll see that the parcel contained inside another package ). For some reason, it is better to send a separate, whereas it is a demo (obviously at the expense of our transportation).
No...we have just explained, the fact he sees me with pressure, and you with drenalina...perfect for war haha!

Opc: i can send you two dps-500/S new, for wire amp? (in this new week)

OK Roberto, lets rewind, rewind a month, not a few days =) I truly am excited about the dps600 arrival, I will be extra careful on start up in case of booby trap, but still excited =P I need lexan tea tray this time I think.

Anyway, I will, if you still agree or if nobody else will in time, start a thread for the application of DPS600/500 in the power supply section. I do not think they will allow you to start one yourself unless its in the vendors area

I would love the datasheet so I can start planning control systems and amp layout.

just wondering, does the dps600 include similar CPU control as MXD? I read that these amps were taken off the diy market due to commercial interests, but I wonder if some remnants remain in the dps500/600?

Hi Roberto!

I am just wondering what is going on with my package?

Regards,
Igor

Attachments

• ups.JPG
    ups.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 429
ok,
This thread has become so botched up it may be more useful to start a new build thread.

not sure why that was optional TBH, the build thread preferably should have a useful index and be dedicated to building. Sorting through hundreds of pages of 'is there any boards left?', or 'that SMPS cannot possibly be good for audio', or 'where's my package dammit!' nvm the hundreds of posts devoted to the actual ordering of PCBs, fets, PSU etc etc. It should not have been considered a good basis for a build thread at any point IMO, just nobody until you Bill! got off their *** to start it; I would have but was already rather busy with the LPUHP stuff and couldnt give it the time it deserved.

so lets yes get on with the building, i'm sure it will pick up a bit when more get their PSUs, but that cant be all there is to it.

there arent that many of us in the PSU GB, what happened to all the people using linear? surely there must be more than the few that have posted here among the hundreds of PSUs out there. are people really that hesitant to pick up the SMD build they got PCBs for because its unfamiliar territory? thats just me hazarding a guess of course.

I have a question about Owen's post 2.
Been interested in this Wire Amp project and started reading the LME48930 datasheets after reading this thread. I'm confused about the harmonic distortion test/Noise floor graphs.

The datasheet specifies that the chip's best case s/n is 105dB.
How is it that generally the amps' noise floor is -140dB?
I noticed that serveral harmonic products are rising to about 100-105dB at the peak and is that what the spec sheet is referring to?

sincerely,

David P.

Edit: The quote function didn't transfer the pictures in post 2, sorry about that. Please go to the 2nd post in this thread to see what I'm referring to.

Attached below are the measurements for the prototype that this project is based upon.

I ran a worst case test setup with +/- 40V rails on both the LME and the mosfets. The supply was unregulated and sat at a nominal 42VDC under only the load of the bias. The bias was set to 360mA which meant the channel was dissipating about 30 watts at idle. This is considered a class AB setup.

At 2.5W with standard class AB bias, you're looking at about 0.000814% THD+N.

Cheers,
Owen

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi EternaLightWith,

I'm not sure where you're seeing the 105dB S/N spec, as I wasn't able to spot it in the datasheet. Even if it is there, it would only have been the spec for the IC by itself, and that's not entirely meaningful.

You might also be confusing the "Noise Floor" which in this case you could say is -140 dBV for the most part, with SNR which takes an A weighted average of the entire noise spectrum and spits out a single number, which in the case of this amp, might be close to -105dB depending on what your reference is.

Another important note is that most of my measurements are posted in dBV so the reference never changes. It's always referred to 1VRMS. When you get into SNR measurements, you need to be careful about what the reference is. It could be an SNR with reference to 1W (2.83V) or possibly to full power which could be referenced to 50V making it appear 34dB better. It's common to list an amplifier's "Dynamic Range" as a ratio of the A-weighted output noise from 20-20k to the maximum output level of the amp.

For graphs that look more like mine, take a look and the National (now TI) reference design datasheet on page 15:

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snaa058a/snaa058a.pdf

Also note that those early measurements are done with a completely unregulated supply, and the results with a good regulated supply are significantly better :)

Cheers,
Owen

yes, fun to be had, posted these over in the DPS600 WA thread, but should post here too.

fun to be had! gotta make up some cables and rig a test jig, I dont have any huge low ohm power resistors. opc, do you think I can load test with a 100ohms 25W heatsinked caddock?

Attachments

• dps-600 pics_17Jul2012_1152.jpg
    dps-600 pics_17Jul2012_1152.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 513
  • dps-600 pics_17Jul2012_1153.jpg
    dps-600 pics_17Jul2012_1153.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 504