"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets

Hi all,
I am now back in the office and found some notifications from UPS. "invoice without clearance (!)" invoice is complete, perhaps for VAT? I will know tomorrow. sorry for this little problem. Meanwhile proceed testing for other DPS-600. 12pcs are right (i'm wrong 14), actually contain 2pcs for BuildMeSomething , Lolo = 6, Qusp = 4 .
Please... patience , all go to well.
Sorry but..When i enter in thread...my brain remained at 3% of energy.. :)
regards

Last edited:
Hi AP2,

As some of the first dispatched DPS-600's are headed my way, could you please forward the traking details :). It's difficult to gain access to my apartment block if no one's around, so traking information would be helpfull incase I miss the first delivery & a contact card can't be left...

Regards,
Paul

..Sure, just i need 1 hour and send you via pm

Owen,

Did you receive my PM regarding the remaining LME49830 chips you were selling?

If these are not all sold can I have four please.

$24 + shipping and the PayPal 3.4% + 20p. Please let me know the postage.

Do you think these chips will be OK for a higher voltage, 90 or 95V, if mounted on a larger heatsink than the Ohmite?

I plan to not use the PCB. Do you think that will matter at all that there won't be the ground plane? I attempted to measure the capacitance that might be added by the ground plane and tracks to the compensation capacitor; maybe 1pF or so.

Re the the high bias current and lower and lower distortion, do you think that would be more about the LME chip or more about the Semelab ALFETS? If using higher voltage rails how would that affect the distortion in respect to the bias setting? Do you think proportionally less bias would be equal to lower rails and more bias?

Thanks,

Ian

Hi,
the invoice has been rewritten and sent by email to UPS, I believe that tomorrow will move the packages. Meanwhile other DPS-600 is ready. the problem is just in this first phase, given that I work 15 hours a day independent of the DPS-600.
I can send Thursday ,other 6 pm for track number.

regards
Roberto

Last edited:
The shape of the board with the LME in the middle doesn't easily fit with the existing layout of my long existing designs. And there's nearly nothing on the board I need or will use. The most important item would perhaps be the compensation cap and that can't be worse going pin to pin than through extra joints and track. The power pin decouplers only need an earth wire each to go direct back to the centre of the 80,000uF or so main reservoir bank. Any other parts can go pin to pin. I'll maybe use a tiny bit of Vero board to use the mute parts and probably to prevent the LME's pins from touching. The main reservoir bank of caps terminate only a couple of inches from the mosfets. But local small caps, if found efficacious, can go on the existing PCB I have that fits onto the mosfets and carries the gate resistors (I already have bags of Vishay VSH for these), the 22pF caps and the power rails to and from.

My 18 or so mono block power amps have been designed and drilled for 6 or 8 single die TO3P lateral mosfets for quite a few years, since about 1996 or so, first prototype was in 1994. I've just taken my time to get around to completing them.

I'll expect to snip of any 'not connected' pins on the LME to make it easier.

Then throw one into each of a pair of the 220 Watt amps and see what they sound like and how they compare with other circuits in similar or matching amps.

If the 85 volts really is the top then I doubt I'll be able to use them or if these chips really blow the doors off the other circuits then maybe I'll consider having the 10 x 1kVA Tx's that I have re-wound.

Some of you chaps are scratching around for parts and trying to not spend any money on your amplifier. I've got probably £8000 invested so far in this little project for me and a few friends with a few left over to sell to friends friends. I have about 84 x 10,000uF 80V or 100V main res caps in my loft (24 of which were custom spec'd and made for me, and 24 are Nichicon GS 2 and 4 so not cheap!), 18 great big heatsinks; custom designed by myself and machined and drilled by Aavid, about 18 big Tx's, custom spec'd a little by me and mainly by a clever pal, made by Airlink, Sega and Antrim, I forget if it's 64 or 128 mosfets and bags of other components such as the Nichicon KZ caps.

In parallel with this LME chip thing, a pal is developing a circuit that he feels will be very good by any standard. So with his already existing one, we might have three to compare.

I don't have access to an AP or anything so we have to do it the old fashioned way and just see if we like the sound on everyone we know's Hi-Fi, and some of those are £20,000 systems and what matters to those people is the sound not the spec. Plus I've got my extensively modified Meridian 605's amps to compare with. They were rated as amongst the 10 best amps in the world in 1994 by Martin Colloms.

In 1995 I had ambitions of selling these high end amplifiers for a living as these were bettering very expensive stuff back then. Now I just want to complete them and sell them off.

Last edited:
Hi,
the invoice has been rewritten and sent by email to UPS, I believe that tomorrow will move the packages. Meanwhile other DPS-600 is ready. the problem is just in this first phase, given that I work 15 hours a day independent of the DPS-600.
I can send Thursday ,other 6 pm for track number.

regards
Roberto

Big thanks for the update, what your doing is very much appreciated :)

IanAS said:
blah blah bignote blah blah bignote overkill, overkill blah blah

are we supposed to be impressed? do you really think your comparison is valid without the PCB and likely with some 'improvements'? decoupling caps are really useful at the end of long wires? the person spending 10x as much for a worse or at best the same result is the victor?

you obviously get your enjoyment in this hobby from a completely different angle, which is consistent with my very first impression. I cant even work out what prompted this stream of defensive conceit, which is a very strange combination in itself. because we suggested building the SMD amp without the PCB might be misguided? what sort of reaction did you expect, I mean seriously?

Last edited:
comparison is valid without the PCB
Don't know. I was going to build one with the PCBs and one without but it's looking not practical to try fit it in there. And I presume that the only important one that would make any difference to performance for with vs. without the board would be the compensation and as Owen progressed that down to just one single tiny capacitor then that board and component relationship issue has gone. As far as the other surface mount parts, are you talking about the mute? I may as well use a couple of through hole for those. The other cap that goes across the bias adjust? That can go pin to pin. I have found that cap to have a very strong effect on some amplifiers so it's good that it doesn't with this one. I've forgotten the value of that, 1uF? The board will only contribute a few pF, so not an issue. What about the two little decoupling caps? Nothings changed there, I'll probably still use them but right on the pins. Do they need a ground plane? I really don't know. A lot of power amps don't use them and a someone did express a concern to me over current paths and eddy's in ground planes. Someone else who's built a few circuits said he thought ground planes for power amps was not a good idea. They both know far more than I do about these things. Owen has the AP wave analyser and has measured this one and demonstrated it's OK. Everything after the LME is not used by me as I have the mosfets some way away. Gate resistors must be on the mosfets in that case, not the LME board. I initially thought I have to saw off one half of the board then I thought, why not just not use it, that'll be a lot easier.

likely with some 'improvements'
No, what is there to improve, apart from a larger heatsink might allow a higher voltage. I'll probably use the Nichicon KZ caps for the LME as I already have them and I compared a bunch of different makes some years ago smoothing the early stage rails and they sounded best to my ears. That was pre regulators though. After, I don't know, but maybe still the same type.

spending 10x as much for a worse or at best the same result is the victor
Some rich people just like to own expensive stuff. I know people who just show their pals the gear then they all go out. They never listen to music at home. Not using the PCB is not going to make the amp rubbish, I expect there'll be little or no change in performance. The poor mains supply your going to use probably will though. AP2 already said that his SMPS needs a bigger mains cable so maybe will also benefit from a decent spur. This week from my decent spur I tried IEC 'kettle' leads and 10mm2 twin and earth leads to feed a pair a Anthony Gallo TR-1 bass units. The big leads again did what they usually do.

you obviously get your enjoyment in this hobby from a completely different angle
I got into Hi-Fi in the 1980's as I had a small home music studio and a small but nice vinyl based Hi-Fi but wanted full range monitors. I met a designer, bought some of his speakers and my pals wanted them and also amps. So I decided to make some. I had an eye on making some money from it and have been doing so in a very small way for twenty years mainly because some people say that no matter how much they spend or what they buy they just can't get the sound I gave their friend and can they pay me to help them improve their sound. I make almost no money from it as almost all of these people are skint. Often just help them at my cost. I'm one of those people who habitually find fault with just about everything all the time and sometimes try and do something about it. People often telling me "you don't do compromise" but of course I have to. But where there's room for affordable improvement I can have a very great deal of persistence in my personality.

what prompted this stream of defensive conceit
it was the comment about sarcasm to my perfectly reasonable and sensible question and I lost my patience. I was going to answer your post with short and simple answers to your reasonable points. Yes, without the PCB at all. No, not done to improve the performance.

we suggested building the SMD amp without the PCB might be misguided
In what way?

Last edited:
you sir, are a comedian, you should change professions. there is ZERO intelligence in using/paying more than needed to get a certain outcome; its bad engineering. you have read AP2's and Opc's comments in the light that is suited to maintaining your preconceptions/world view, your comments are fiction

my guess is your friends, who are equally mistaken, have been giving you crap for building an SMD amp. what you intend to do, is not the same amplifier; it may still perform well, but i'll lay bets it doesnt do better, which I presume is the intention unless its just flexing muscles in an exercise of futility.

had you just said that you needed to make it fit your case and dont want or cannot afford to buy another one, because it was expensive; that would be strange considering the ease of which this amp is laid out in a case, but it would be understandable. What you did however is defensively lay insult to a large chunk of the thread and the amps designer, by claiming we are just paupers scratching in the dirt trying to save a buck, so we can afford to eat our porridge with powdered milk in the morning.

all of these claims made without a shred of evidence in a thread that is pretty heavily into such things and without having a clue as to the class of the participants.

my question was rhetorical, its already pretty obvious why you build big amps......

Last edited:
ZERO intelligence in using/paying more than needed to get a certain outcome
so you didn't realise that people wear Cartier when Timex will do. Drive a Bentley when a Mercedes is a perfectly good car.

insult to a large chunk of the thread and the amps designer
No, just the ones with little knowledge or experience who talk down to those with plenty of both.

Last edited:
Ian's approach of a PCB-less build is not bad IMO; actually that's why I went out of the GB months ago.
When you have experience with point to point wiring a good result with the LME driver is certainly possible; I see no reason why a PCB-less amp should measure/sound worse or better; just a different (and creative) approach.
Qusp, you once again become a bit too personal in your judgments. By the way: your remark "what you did however is defensively lay insult to a large chunk of the thread and the amp designer" provoked a loud outburst of laughter here. Amp designer? Come on, the Wire Amp is nothing but an application of LME49830 + output stage, not very much to "design" apart from a PCB.
There are different grades of DIY'ers, ranging from "building from scratch" to "assembling readily available parts of a well-proven design".
Ian is maybe more of a scratch builder with a critical attitude, and therefore I rank him a bit higher on the DIY ladder than those who are mere able to duplicate a proven design.
No reason for talking about comedians, changing professions or zero intelligence IMO.

Last edited: