"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets - Page 227 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2014, 05:42 PM   #2261
manudrz is offline manudrz  France
diyAudio Member

Old 14th February 2014, 07:26 PM   #2262
kiwik is offline kiwik  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manudrz View Post
Hi all, I'm reading this interesting thread.
I already have a large number of pieces, 2 transfos (200VA/35V), 2 unreg power supplies (≈+/-50V), source selection board, soft-start, heat-sinks ...
I wanted to build 2 SKA amps in dual mono, but finally I think I'll go with The Wire.

1) I add myself to the GB list and OPC contact me for the payment?

I'd like to see more wiring diagrams, rookie inside, 1st amp build

I also have a question, my relay based source selection board is designed in dual mono, no problem, but I would add a volume control Dantimax RelVol1C RelVol1 & 3

2) Can I keep my separate signal masses (dual mono) with this volume board control?

3) For the attenuator resistors, 20K value is ok?

Thanks a lot guys
For question1, check post #1 in this thread
Old 14th February 2014, 07:31 PM   #2263
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
2) Can I keep my separate signal masses (dual mono) with this volume board control?
Not sure what you mean?
3) For the attenuator resistors, 20K value is ok?
Input attenuator? sure it should be okay.
Old 14th February 2014, 11:51 PM   #2264
diyAudio Member

2) I'd like dual mono, so I don't want the left and the right grounds connected together.
3) Yes the input attenuator, ok for 20K. Thanks

Edit: Damned, sold out!!!

Last edited by manudrz; 15th February 2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 15th February 2014, 02:17 AM   #2265
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
2) I'd like dual mono, so I don't want the left and the right grounds connected together.
Do not have to be if the power supplies are separate.
Old 15th February 2014, 09:03 AM   #2266
diyAudio Member

Ok, I'm a rookie but I've heard the opposite on french forums... For real dual mono, grounds have to be separate from the beginning to the end, including DC protect, volume control, etc...
Anyway, the Wire power amps PCB seem to be out of stock, perhaps I'll go with the Honey Badger.
Old 15th February 2014, 05:54 PM   #2267
opc is online now opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Manudrz,

Most of your questions were covered by kiwik and rsavas, but I'd like to clarify the dual mono thing.

You might need to be a little more clear about your goals in going dual mono. That setup offers two possible benefits:

1. With dual mono amps, you can place each amplifier very close to its respective loudspeaker, thereby shortening the length of speaker cable and improving the damping factor of the amplifier/speaker combo.

2. There is the potential with a fully dual mono design to achieve greater channel separation or reduced crosstalk.

Reason 1 is only realized if you actually do place the amplifiers near the speakers. You lose this benefit if both amps still sit on an equipment rack between the speakers.

Reason 2 can be misleading, in that a properly designed amp, source and preamp can achieve crosstalk levels low enough to dramatically exceed any plausible physical transducer arrangement. 120dB of channel separation can be achieved even with a shared ground, and it's difficult to make the argument that going beyond that is beneficial.

If you do really want to use separate grounds all the way through, then you will need to think of how this can be achieved in your source, preamp, and amplifiers. The amplifiers are the easy part, and The Wire LME amps can easily be built fully dual mono as long as you build two full supplies.

As a side question, how much power do you think you need? Perhaps the LPUHP or the "Hot Rodded" version of it with higher rails would be a better choice?

Cheers,
Owen
Old 15th February 2014, 09:19 PM   #2268
diyAudio Member

Damned, answered by the Boss himself

Ok, so I just want to make a dual mono integrated power amp. Everything in the same box. I've got most of the parts, including two +-50V unreg PSU. I just need your amps and the remote volume control.

http://imageshack.com/a/img41/3971/amplir.jpg

My idea, perhaps stupid, was to keep separate grounds on all the signal path. But as you say, the sources surely don't have this skill. And you are right, I've just check my IVY3 output stage of my Buffalo3se and L/R grounds are shared... Did I mention I'm a rookie ?

1) Is it still better to have two separate power supplies, even if the grounds are shared elsewhere in the signal path?

About your question, I think The Wire is the most suitable to me. I own now a Rotel RA06, which drives B&W 684, but I think I'll soon replace them by true 3-way, perhaps sealed ones with a 10" bass driver.

I just want the best amp, because I don't think I want to redo another one every 2 or 3 years...

2) I'd like to know if the Dantimax RelVol1C volume control (with 20K resistors) would fit the Wire perfectly ?

3) When will your PCB be available again?

Thanks a lot for your time, cheers.
Manu

Last edited by manudrz; 15th February 2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 16th February 2014, 10:41 AM   #2269
diyAudio Member

And just to prove I'm not crazy, look at the design of this guy, a "little" higher skills than me...
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/r...s/image/134161
He uses 100R at the only place where grounds are commons, in the DC protection board K4700.
Le sujet Montage Zenquito. - Page 57 du forum Amplification sur Homecinema-fr.com - 29805212 - 1056
Old 19th February 2014, 01:08 AM   #2270
opc is online now opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Manu,

To answer your questions:

1) Is it still better to have two separate power supplies, even if the grounds are shared elsewhere in the signal path?

Absolutely. Using dual supplies will give you an improvement in channel separation as long as you implement the common ground correctly. Use good grounding techniques (covered elsewhere) and it will be a great arrangement giving exceptional crosstalk performance.

2) I'd like to know if the Dantimax RelVol1C volume control (with 20K resistors) would fit the Wire perfectly ?

If you're planning to run SE inputs, then it will work perfectly. If you plan on running balanced inputs, then you will find that the amp's low input impedance will require a buffer between the output of the volume control and the input of the amp.

Should be back in stock in about a month. Demand outstripped supply on this particular board, so I need to order more.

Cheers,
Owen

Quote:
Originally Posted by manudrz View Post
Damned, answered by the Boss himself

Ok, so I just want to make a dual mono integrated power amp. Everything in the same box. I've got most of the parts, including two +-50V unreg PSU. I just need your amps and the remote volume control.

http://imageshack.com/a/img41/3971/amplir.jpg

My idea, perhaps stupid, was to keep separate grounds on all the signal path. But as you say, the sources surely don't have this skill. And you are right, I've just check my IVY3 output stage of my Buffalo3se and L/R grounds are shared... Did I mention I'm a rookie ?

About your question, I think The Wire is the most suitable to me. I own now a Rotel RA06, which drives B&W 684, but I think I'll soon replace them by true 3-way, perhaps sealed ones with a 10" bass driver.

I just want the best amp, because I don't think I want to redo another one every 2 or 3 years...

Thanks a lot for your time, cheers.
Manu

Hide this!Advertise here!