"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets - Page 202 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2012, 06:01 PM   #2011
enantra is offline enantra  Spain
diyAudio Member

Hi Owen
pcb/kits still available?, and price?,options?
thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 06:07 PM   #2012
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

nope... nothing available at the moment. You might have some luck posting a "WTB" add in the swap meet section. There are a lot of these out there, but only a handful of confirmed finished projects.

Cheers,
Owen
Old 6th December 2012, 11:48 AM   #2013
diyAudio Member

Hi Owen,

This amp looks lovely :-) Are kits or boards still available?
Old 28th December 2012, 09:39 PM   #2014
DIGORA is offline DIGORA  Belgium
Account disabled at member's request

HI

The LME49830 could be used with 4 pushpull of 2SK1058/2SJ162 without driver ?

Thanks

Last edited by DIGORA; 28th December 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 1st January 2013, 07:35 PM   #2015
npdot is offline npdot  United States
diyAudio Member

DIGORA

Yes, pairs of 2SK1058/2SJ162s can be used in place of the dual die Alfet lateral MOSFET devices without additional drivers after the LME49830. However, they should have separate gate resistors, and I strongly recommend adding individual source resistors to facilitate current sharing between the parallel devices. Try the same gate resistors as are in OPC's design. As for the source resistors, I recommend 0.22 or 0.33 ohm, 3 watt film (example: Panasonic ERX-3FJSR33E). Note: the Alfet application note explains that the dual die devices do not require the source resistors because their manufacturing process produces extreemly well-matched pairs in each dual die device. (Search: "applicationnotealfet" for a pdf copy of the application note.) Multiple 2SK/2SJ devices should provide comparable results to the Alfets.

However, you will need to keep the leads as short as possible. This is especially important for the gate resistors.

Happy New Year
Old 1st January 2013, 08:50 PM   #2016
IanAS is offline IanAS  England
diyAudio Member

The current output from the LME should be ample to charge the mosfets capacitance for at least 8 devices. My calculation seemed to show that more than that would be fine, I forget just now. I'm maybe using 10 mosfets, just for a laugh probably won't hear the difference from 8 (4 pairs), or maybe less than that, but worth a try just in case. Though I converted a Hafler DH200 from 4 to 6 and didn't hear the difference with my speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by npdot View Post
As for the source resistors
Would that 0.22 or 0.33 not be swamped by the 6Ω(?) resistance of each mosfet? I looked at the data sheet but there's nothing there about resistance.

I'm going to use four pairs of these mosfets per mono block and don't intend to source resistors. In my experience with bipolar transistors they change the sound. Each different type sounded different. Used Caddocks in the end but because we all heard the improvement. So if they change the sound, best to not use them at all unless it's necessary.

The gate resistors should be close to each mosfet, ie, soldered onto them.

You might want to add a 22pF polystyrene across each mosfet gate and drain.

Last edited by IanAS; 1st January 2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 04:45 PM   #2017
Zebb is offline Zebb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Still waiting/hoping for some feedback from builders about how the build went and how this amp actually sounds... sure I'm not the only one... some pics would be nice too... anyone?
Old 5th January 2013, 09:21 AM   #2018
diyAudio Member

No further feedback coming from me, I've stalled on this build & it's all sat in the cupboard ... Had both amps running with 300-400 mA bias and they do sound good, loads of detail... but not sure if I'll find the time & funds to complete the build.

Paul
Old 5th January 2013, 09:33 AM   #2019
diyAudio Member

That sucks BMS, I know the feeling though!

I've got a case and heatsinks on the way at last. I hoped that they would arrive this week just gone (though that was a touch optimistic given they shipped only on Christmas eve). With that (and FETs arriving at qusp's in the NTD1 parcel from Owen soon too) I'll have everything I need to start building up my 2xLPUHP and 2xLME49830 The Wire amps in the one enclosure. I've been building some mounting/heatspreader plates for LPUHP amps and DPS600. The challenge comes in that this build is really a drawn out process, because I want to add my extra automation board to the mix too. \

Build timeline for me looks something like:
1. build it all and mount one amp on a heatsink, then measure real world bias pot resistance for my fets+heatsink.
2. complete my bias/mute/thermal protection board design/layout
3. then with the extra board design completed I'll do a final build and all the front/rear panel trimmings.

Realistically, knowing how my projects pan out, I think I'll be lucky to have my build in a final case before Easter, though I hope to have given it a test run before then.
Old 5th January 2013, 04:43 PM   #2020
Zebb is offline Zebb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Is the apparent "lull" in motivation due to doubts about the amp, or PSU cost/complexaty concerns...? Or surface mounting difficulties...? Or trouble getting parts...? Or is it just too early to say because nobody's quite finished yet?

Hide this!Advertise here!