"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets - Page 192 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2012, 04:07 PM   #1911
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
opc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
AP2:

If you'd like to send me the pair of new supplies, I'd be happy to test them. I got a UPS shipping notification from you but the items were never dropped off.

I would really be keen to test something with a 110-120VAC input as it might provide a viable option for other North American builders in this thread.

FloridaBear:

I'm sorry to hear you've given up on these! Can I ask why you've decided to throw in the towel? Perhaps it's something people on here can help with.

This is by far the most advanced project I've offered, and requires some level of implementation skill on the part of the end user, but it should be possible to get the amplifiers up and running without too much trouble.

If there's something in particular that is holding you back, let us know and maybe we can offer some support.

Cheers,
Owen
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 04:33 PM   #1912
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Owen:
2xDPS-500/S-WA started (copy of documents solved). maybe update ups
today later or tomorrow.
we see on email for some info
regards
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 09:47 AM   #1913
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Hi all,
Some info about WE-smps.
from GB,i have available 4xDPS-600/55 +one /45.

Other new's is DPS-400+PBTU-2 kit (possible big discount on it)
this smps play very quiet and is indestructible, (2x) is very nice for dual mono amps.

well, we wait new measure from Owen on DPS-500/S.

Regards
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 01:55 PM   #1914
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
opc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I'll be picking these up on Monday and testing them sometime next week! Stay tuned for results.

Cheers,
Owen
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:07 PM   #1915
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by opc View Post
FloridaBear:

I'm sorry to hear you've given up on these! Can I ask why you've decided to throw in the towel? Perhaps it's something people on here can help with.

This is by far the most advanced project I've offered, and requires some level of implementation skill on the part of the end user, but it should be possible to get the amplifiers up and running without too much trouble.

If there's something in particular that is holding you back, let us know and maybe we can offer some support.

Cheers,
Owen
It's actually several things, but perhaps it boils down to lack of motivation to finish. I suppose the main issue is that the SMD parts were just beyond my skill (and/or patience) level. At least now I know my limits!
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:40 PM   #1916
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ontario
Default LME49830 + Lateral MOSFETs

Owen (OPC): FYI, nice project!!

I am inspired & have sort of copied your design for my own project PCB. You are not offering PCBs anymore, so I have to brew my own. I do not mind, lots of fun designing a new winter project.
I read that Andrew T. has commented, that the HS for the LME gets really hot, (to touch) when the supply gets up high. I am wondering if I will be required to use a larger HS, any comments? heat = enemy, for long term reliability!!
I calculate the LME PwrDiss (no-signal) at around, 150V*25mA = 3.75W
I have managed to buy ($20) a used transformer on eBay, from a parted Pioneer SX-1250, hope it works okay.
The Pioneer xformer has many separate windings, I will use one set for the regulated supply to the LME. Will also put out ~ +/-75V unregulated & has 2 separate windings for the regulated for each channel, unloaded ~ +/-70V.
I will post the layout in a new thread, once I get it in reviewable condition. Hopefully you and some of the other experts can review and provide me with some feedback.
BTW, how did you generate the schematic with the pop-up part descriptions, really cool, does your CAD SW do this for you? & who's CAD SW do you use, let me guess RIM = Mentor Graphics. I meet some RIM CAD folks at a MentorG seminar once apon a time.

P.S. Take care & Happy Thansgiving for us Canucks
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 03:12 PM   #1917
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ontario
Default SMT soldering HELP!!

Quote:
It's actually several things, but perhaps it boils down to lack of motivation to finish. I suppose the main issue is that the SMD parts were just beyond my skill (and/or patience) level. At least now I know my limits!

If I was around the corner from you, I'd solder those few SMT parts for you. Actually not as difficult as it seems. The SMT parts must be solder first or you will have problems because of interference from the large PHT parts that will interfere. A small tip on the soldering iron is important. A small jewlers maginifier 10x goes a long way for inspection. Twezzer capable of picking up small 0805 SMT parts is required. Add a small amount of solder to one pad, place/centre the part on top, solder the part/pad where you added the small amount of solder, then sloder the other side. Using small diameter ~0.020", solder helps alot, as you can control how much solder that you apply. Piece of cake even for an ole fart like me!!

Good Luck
Rick
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 08:23 AM   #1918
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Hi at all,
Opc: not feel you,maybe have trouble on email?
Others: one that have listen wire amp with dps-600?
hello....Earth call to the Moon .... are you there?.sSS...sSS..

Regards
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 08:43 AM   #1919
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavas View Post
If I was around the corner from you, I'd solder those few SMT parts for you. Actually not as difficult as it seems. The SMT parts must be solder first or you will have problems because of interference from the large PHT parts that will interfere. A small tip on the soldering iron is important. A small jewlers maginifier 10x goes a long way for inspection. Twezzer capable of picking up small 0805 SMT parts is required. Add a small amount of solder to one pad, place/centre the part on top, solder the part/pad where you added the small amount of solder, then sloder the other side. Using small diameter ~0.020", solder helps alot, as you can control how much solder that you apply. Piece of cake even for an ole fart like me!!

Good Luck
Rick
completely disagree with underlined part, in fact i'd almost bet money that having too little mass in his tip is the main problem here. this amp has very solid ground planes and they suck the heat out of small tips, you wont get anywhere. a 3mm chisel tip is perfect for doing everything on this board

if I was nearby I would help also, but that sure isnt the case.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 12:58 PM   #1920
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ontario
Hello "qusp" I have no problem with smaller tips on my irons, just have to turn the temperature up to around 700-750F. If your iron does not have temperature control or enough heat/wattage then yes a small tip can be a problem where a full contact pad to a copper plane will pose an issue. I was just trying to help the person out, so much for trying. BTW, I have years of experience soldering SMT parts, I am not an amateur at this!!
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marriage from "ZEN" - and ordinary class AB topology about HCA - why not realized ?? tiefbassuebertr Pass Labs 2 4th January 2014 04:52 PM
X-Amp (LME49830 + Exicon Lateral Mosfets) danfo098 Chip Amps 28 14th October 2013 04:05 AM
"CA-10", new Single Ended Power amp Device based on Aleph or ZEN ? tiefbassuebertr Pass Labs 1 29th September 2010 06:55 PM
Compound Lateral FET for higher power Class AB amp. Mooly Solid State 17 22nd August 2010 02:13 PM
Improvments to "Tube Headphone Amplifier/Preamp with Relay-Based Input and Power Swi" kipman725 Headphone Systems 4 17th August 2009 06:12 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:44 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2