"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets - Page 178 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2012, 07:03 PM   #1771
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

great news mate, thanks for the update!
Old 8th July 2012, 08:15 PM   #1772
diyAudio Member

That is good news, great to hear everything is going well

I'll make a decision on case work once everything is in hand, but now need speakers for this... a pair of XTZ 99.25 will work well for the space I have.
Old 9th July 2012, 03:34 AM   #1773
diyAudio Member

ok i'll get this question out of the way for the dps600 owners. since we have no ability to ramp the voltage up with these supplies for first turn on; what is the best way forward in your opinion mate?

confirm functioning power supply

test amp without fets installed and set bias on the pot this way? not to full bias, just to say 200mA

build a low power, lower voltage linear supply and use this to test and adjust bias, before replacing with the dps600

all of the above?
Old 9th July 2012, 02:21 PM   #1774
diyAudio Member

qusp,

I was just re-reading the build instructions from opc and remembered your post from earlier today!

Quote:
If you have a variac, or even a low voltage supply (say +/-20V) then start with that. Turn the bias potentiometer FULLY CLOCKWISE TO START. This sets the bias at a minimum, which is what you want during startup.

Slowly bring up the power supply while monitoring the current to the mosfets and the voltage of the supply. Stop when you get to +/-20V. If all is well, there should be little or no current flowing through the mosfets with the bias pot turned all the way down. If all is well, start turning the bias pot counterclockwise while monitoring the current. Start with an initial target of 100mA.
Since Owen says if I'd be tempted to build with the DPS600 straight up unless you have it ready to go off hand?

The above passage comes after mounting the mosfets in the build guide so I'd stick them in.

Last edited by hochopeper; 9th July 2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 9th July 2012, 02:58 PM   #1775
diyAudio Member

yeah i've seen that passage, I read the guide when doing the first half of the build.

I probably will do that, but just start with the bias all the way down so the fets arent seeing any current. I could pretty easily come up with a linear unregulated supply to test, hell I could use 2 of opcs little supplies.

its just starting up with an amp untested and with a supply that could just about vaporize the fets...well... i'll have my blast shield (tea tray) at the ready I think and flick the switch from across the room

Last edited by qusp; 9th July 2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 9th July 2012, 03:41 PM   #1776
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post
Hi all,
..Well, just a sign of life
18 DPS-600 are ready then ship Monday.
I follow GB list criteria for start ship.
today later i return in office for packages and ticket, create photos and put in thread.
Rest of dps-600 need only diode(on regulators) and heatsink , I think two days.

Regards
Any news on this Roberto?

Please don't forget that mine go in the same package as qusp's.
Old 9th July 2012, 04:03 PM   #1777
diyAudio Member

indeed, seems to be the end of the day over there now …

tell me some good news mate?
Old 9th July 2012, 08:45 PM   #1778
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned

Hi,
foto at yesterday night (sorry for filter on camera).
Also,new dps-600 and 500/S from production arrived.. i show one just for dimension compared with dps-600.
Qusp & hochopeper is not in photo, package closed with all in side, as qusp know.
In this moment, all package are in deposit of MDI (UPS collect from it).
I'm in lab /office.
today i assemble other two, then start 20 total.
@Richard ok for address change.
----------------------------------------
for bias, start with (trimmer on low value on lme), switch on and set bias you need.
----------------------------------------
Remote control tested ok.
I removed led connection from switch as old i show, now led moved on 10 pin connector. (it is controlled by startup and UVLO function) so, light switch off fast when turn-off (independant of remote control use).
I'm sure tomorrow have ticket on web with collected info.

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DPS-600-WA-GB-1.jpg (146.1 KB, 254 views)
Old 9th July 2012, 10:10 PM   #1779
diyAudio Member

looking good

Was thinking of getting a bench supply for initial testing, but I'm gonna build up two of OPC's supplies and use those befor hooking-up the dps-600s.
Old 10th July 2012, 12:28 AM   #1780
diyAudio Member

Thanks Roberto!

@BuildMeSomething, the load on the LME is low enough you can run multiple amps from a single of opc's regs.

Hide this!Advertise here!