"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets - Page 128 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2012, 07:45 PM   #1271
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
So you agree that the SMPS has no inherent advantage over a quality linear supply, am I right?
Uh oh - better start sending out mass emails to all those engineers selecting SMPS then...
Old 17th May 2012, 07:48 PM   #1272
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
Uh oh - better start sending out mass emails to all those engineers selecting SMPS then...
No, I mean technical advantages, not economical advantages (price; weight; volume).
Old 18th May 2012, 07:11 AM   #1273
lolo is offline lolo  France
diyAudio Member

it does seem like a fight for principles..
Old 18th May 2012, 09:44 AM   #1274
diyAudio Member

Unhappy smps GB

Hi everyone,

Sorry to say but I'm going to have to withdraw from the GB for the smps... nothing to do with the resent discussion, just I'm about to sell my apartment and am packing things away etc.

I'm hoping to get a place with enough room for a dedicated home cinema / listening room
Old 18th May 2012, 10:04 AM   #1275
Banned

Good luck with the move, BMS.
Old 18th May 2012, 01:08 PM   #1276
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Guys lets not get personal here. Perhaps if a stalemate has been reached take it off line or agree to disagree.
Old 18th May 2012, 01:23 PM   #1277
npdot is offline npdot  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Early results from the bench

After correcting the orientation of Z1 so that the LME is not on continuous mute, I got the following preliminary test results.

Test 1:
PSUs: LME +/-65V regulated; OPS +/- 50V monitored & controlled
Output: 30Vrms @ 8ohm @ 1KHz (1Vrms below clip)
THDN: 0.003%

Test 2:
PSUs: LME +/-50V regulated; OPS +/- 50V monitored & controlled
Output: 28.8Vrms @ 8ohm @ 1KHz (1Vrms below clip)
THDN: 0.003%

Test 3:
PSUs: LME +/-65V regulated; OPS +/- 60V monitored & controlled
Output: 33.5Vrms @ 8ohm @ 1KHz (1Vrms below clip)
THDN: 0.004%

Test set: HP339A; two HP6294A (for LME PSU); 72K uF caps per rail monitored and adjusted by variac (for OPS).

Observation: test 1 Vds = 7.6V peak vs. test 2 Vds = 9.3V peak => 1.7V difference

Comment: a) I am very please with the performance of the amp. Hats off to Owen. b) I am also convinced that the separate, higher LME supply is of value for several reasons, but it looks like reducing the voltage drop accross the output device is not of significant value.

What are the rest of you finding?
Old 18th May 2012, 01:34 PM   #1278
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The supply voltages limit the peak output voltages from the amplifiers.

An audio replay system, rarely reaches these peak output voltages. We generally design our systems to avoid clipping in normal use.

The result is that the only time that our amplifiers get near to clipping and thus use up that PSU voltage capability is for short term transients. By definition, these transients exist for short periods of time and thus place very little demand on the long term capability of the PSU.

It's the stored charge in the medium and high frequency decoupling that supplies the current for the short term transients.

For these reasons small variations in the choice of PSU voltage at the design stage will have little effect on the audio performance heard from the speakers.
Old 18th May 2012, 01:45 PM   #1279
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
The supply voltages limit the peak output voltages from the amplifiers.

An audio replay system, rarely reaches these peak output voltages. We generally design our systems to avoid clipping in normal use.

The result is that the only time that our amplifiers get near to clipping and thus use up that PSU voltage capability is for short term transients. By definition, these transients exist for short periods of time and thus place very little demand on the long term capability of the PSU.

It's the stored charge in the medium and high frequency decoupling that supplies the current for the short term transients.

For these reasons small variations in the choice of PSU voltage at the design stage will have little effect on the audio performance heard from the speakers.
Andrew,
I basically agree, but at the same time I am afraid that your remarks will restart the power supply discussion, and I don't think that's a good idea....
Old 18th May 2012, 01:51 PM   #1280
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I was replying to a request
Quote:
but it looks like reducing the voltage drop accross the output device is not of significant value.

What are the rest of you finding?
I am not trolling, if that's the correct word.

Hide this!Advertise here!