"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets - Page 111 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2012, 08:17 PM   #1101
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
Only very slightly better Roberto,
Do you mean that, in a multi amp system, it is better to power each amp with a separate dedicated power supply?
yes, this independant of psu.
Not have sense a very good amatorial amplifier...with not adeguate psu or criteria.
Multi active way, solve a very big problem of passive crossover, a this point ,all is simple and clean but...why not respect intermodulation point in all? one amp..one psu,this have sense.
Old 9th May 2012, 08:32 PM   #1102
lolo is offline lolo  France
diyAudio Member

this obviously makes sense, every high end amp is built on that principle.
Old 9th May 2012, 08:33 PM   #1103
diyAudio Member

Owen, I have to pull back from the transistors purchase, please excuse the inconvenience.

so...2 pairs are available.
Old 9th May 2012, 10:17 PM   #1104
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post
yes, this independant of psu.
Not have sense a very good amatorial amplifier...with not adeguate psu or criteria.
Multi active way, solve a very big problem of passive crossover, a this point ,all is simple and clean but...why not respect intermodulation point in all? one amp..one psu,this have sense.
yes, that was the plan, I planned to buy 2 x dps400 and 2 x dps500 or 600 for active 2 way, but given the generations needed to edit the DPS400 for the high bias level (still not high enough at 400ma, we need 600+ for highest performance) and no mention at all of the high priced regulated PSUs, i'm not willing to do this without results to show me it will work, so I dont know what to do. I do not intend to be a paying beta tester, even if support is good, I am on the other side of the world, sending back and forth is not an option

Last edited by qusp; 9th May 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 9th May 2012, 10:54 PM   #1105
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
yes, that was the plan, I planned to buy 2 x dps400 and 2 x dps500 or 600 for active 2 way, but given the generations needed to edit the DPS400 for the high bias level (still not high enough at 400ma, we need 600+ for highest performance) and no mention at all of the high priced regulated PSUs, i'm not willing to do this without results to show me it will work, so I dont know what to do. I do not intend to be a paying beta tester, even if support is good, I am on the other side of the world, sending back and forth is not an option
Qusp Certainly, we are in tune then. However, please do not take my explanation as a conviction or forced to buy these SMPS.
DPS-400: interventions are limited to the startup phase, not at the core of the SMPS, in fact, Owen has always said that increasing the bias current after the DPS-400 is started, it keeps the bias and good works correctly even in power .
I mean, if I was not sure of the product, I would not have lost even a single minute. This SMPS was developed in 2005, for class D commercial and is currently used in some measuring instruments with small changes. problems do not know about this product.
Unfortunately we do not know. if a product is not perfect, I have no reason to produce it. sorry for this, heheh, it's my truth.
For issue on shunt down(without remote ctl), this is my stupid error while solve current startup, not think That put a resistor on high voltage capacitor, then voltage decrease with very long time hahaha!
Obvius that original version is perfect for D class,also used in multi way very quiet.
However, it will soon be proven correct operation with 400mA of bias also.

regards

Last edited by AP2; 9th May 2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 9th May 2012, 11:13 PM   #1106
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

hey not questioning you mate, but its a difficult leap to make with no info. yes increasing the bias after start is possible thats true he has always said thats possible, but how to do this in an automated fashion with the case on? is that possible via software/i2c control?

yes its true the 400 seems a good supply and with the bias thing sorted out and clean shutdown i'm probbaly going to get some, but its not the one i'm really interested in and i'm lacking info on the 500 and 600, I mean was there the same problem with 500-600? is there a fix? was a solution even pursued? its the 500 and 600 that ive been interested in from the start; I want a regulated PSU for the mid-woofers and if its not a switching PSU, it'll be a linear regulated PSU.

Last edited by qusp; 9th May 2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 9th May 2012, 11:17 PM   #1107
diyAudio Member

AP2,
Please do not be discouraged by the rants, to me they shows questionable manners. I do appreciate your effort to offer the diy community a customized smps power supply. There are too few manufactures to be so generous to the DIY audio community, it would be a shame to run them off. Please continue you efforts and if successful I would like to opportunity to purchase if affordable and available.

Bill

Last edited by wirewiggler; 9th May 2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 9th May 2012, 11:26 PM   #1108
Banned

Yes, just a few words, maybe it can be interesting.
as I use in some class D, also for safety reasons, you can add a simple circuit that (automatically or under control) increases the bias. eg. start at 50mA and go to 600mA (if no error).
command can be done through an optocoupler.
I need the scheme of the amplifier to see how to do it, perhaps this idea may also like to Owen.
Independant of smps limit, it can be a good innovation eheh!
Old 9th May 2012, 11:46 PM   #1109
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
hey not questioning you mate, but its a difficult leap to make with no info. yes increasing the bias after start is possible thats true he has always said thats possible, but how to do this in an automated fashion with the case on? is that possible via software/i2c control?

yes its true the 400 seems a good supply and with the bias thing sorted out and clean shutdown i'm probbaly going to get some, but its not the one i'm really interested in and i'm lacking info on the 500 and 600, I mean was there the same problem with 500-600? is there a fix? was a solution even pursued? its the 500 and 600 that ive been interested in from the start; I want a regulated PSU for the mid-woofers and if its not a switching PSU, it'll be a linear regulated PSU.
I think that pdf of dps-500 explain well, special parts and circuit used, just it is developed around audio amplifier. i not think have problem on current startup (i know it is used for ab professional mono-block also).
dps-600, Owen have one, maybe have just low power DC (+/-62V).
has been nearly two years since the first DPS-500 sold, I never knew that someone had called AP for breaking problems or noise or other.
when i develop this smps, first reason is just solve some aspect of the dynamics of the sound, on which I have continued to some studies, in particular on the geometry of the envelope sound. but this is other story.

Last edited by AP2; 9th May 2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 9th May 2012, 11:48 PM   #1110
diyAudio Member

Im posting from mobile phone so can't find the posts easily but I thought opc had posted measurements of the amps performance far earlier in the thread, I was reasonably confident these were with linear psu, any reason these aren't useful to compare to smps measurements posted recently?

Hide this!Advertise here!