Nishiki Amplifier with 2SC5200

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

The last time I got in touch with Toshiba Electronics Asia, I was inquiring about Fairchild's 2SC5200 if it is at par with their Toshiba 2SC5200 this is their response,

Thank you for your inquiry.
Toshiba has replacement part for 2SC5200/2SA1943.

Replacement part nos. TTC5200/TTA1943.

you may consider this pair,

Pls open this link to view the data spec,

http://www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp/docs/datasheet/en/Transistor/TTC5200_en_datasheet_090713.pdf

http://www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp/docs/datasheet/en/Transistor/TTA1943_en_datasheet_090713.pdf

Tks !

Best Rgds

Janice Tan
TOSHIBA ELECTRONICS ASIA (S) PTE LTD
Asian Based & Distribution Account Dept

Tel : (65) 63710139 (DID)
Fax : (65) 62715155

Seems like STmicroelectronics did also produce their own 2SC5200 huh

Regards

Distortion gets a bad rap. This is harmonic coloration, of the type much valued with tube amps for guitars. If you pay for the amp, I guess you have a right to express your preference!

I say the Nishiki is an interesting amp, with tube sound. The documentation is superb and ideas quite legitimate. All amplifiers distort to some degree, but THD is only part of the picture. The profile of the distortion is important. That's the reason a tube amp with 1% sounds somewhat more pure than a SS amp with 0.1% - the profile of the distortion is different, with tubes having high levels of low order artefacts and SS feedback amps having a long train of artefacts at very low amplitude.

Hugh

Thanks for nice response. I am sure there is lot of hifi folks out there looking for specific coloration, so Nishiki amp will give you one flavor. Is it right to think that this amplifier is not good for complex music like rock/metal?

But isnt the crossover distortion quite high in class AB amps without NFB?
Also have you listening experience between full complementary and quasi complementary? I have read that BJT quasi doesnt work so good, but VMOS quasi does.

Last edited:
nishiki design

The original idea was to publish the Nishiki in 3 parts. First as published in TAA, 2nd part using a 6N3P tube in long tail with a 6N1P as cathode follower and the 3 part using an ECL82 is driver. This ECL82 does has an incredible sound. Part 2 and 3 never made it in TAA.

Enclosed a document with a Tubecad Aikido as driver, all components values are my own choice. Also, the 5965 tube does only 'sound' good when it draws at least 3 mA.

Wim

PS. the PDF file seems too large for this forum, I will try to upload it tomorrow once more with a smaller size file.

Last edited:
Nice to see you here, Wim. I have long admired your work.

As it happens, I'm working on a hybrid too, and just like you, have long considered the 5965 as it has ideal mu and rp for the voltage stage.

The SS buffer is done; it does use nfb, but has loop gain of around 50dB, easily manipulated.

The ideas behind it are quite similar to yours!

Groetjes,

Hugh

Nishiki with Aikido driver stage according to Wim

Enclosed the document I made regarding the Tubecad Aikido driver stage in combination (ECC83/82) with the Nishiki powerstage. This docement also mentiones the values for the 5965 tube.

Wim

Attachments

• nishikiaikido.pdf
    149.8 KB · Views: 513
Nishiki PCB circuitboard

And for those who have interest, I do have still some professional made PCB's of the Nishiki powerstage, see enclosed photo. I can offer the PCB for just 10 euros, for stereo you will need 2 boards.

Wim

Attachments

• circuitboard2b.jpg
    circuitboard2b.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 565
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.