My new 1000W PA amp (pic post) - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2003, 04:06 PM   #71
C3PO is offline C3PO  Philippines
diyAudio Member

hey guys! anyone already tried to build this amp? it was already discussed before on the forum...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300wa.jpg (79.8 KB, 847 views)
Old 18th September 2003, 05:39 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JojoD818
joan2,

Thanks for the kind offer! I am still studying the tigersaurus though. I 'll contact you when I have decided.

JojoD
I built the Tigersaurus and it sounded awful. (used the SWTPC boards too.) I think that I still have the issue of Popular Electronics from the 1970's. (was it popular electronics, one of those consumer mags.)
Old 18th September 2003, 10:58 PM   #73
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Default straight from the rca transistor manual....

Quote:
hey guys! anyone already tried to build this amp? it was already discussed before on the forum...
lots of power huh? that amp should be fine for pa system work!!! i have the complete rca transistor manual with me.....that circuit came out with two other transistor type outputs if i am not mistaken....
Old 19th September 2003, 03:28 AM   #74
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I think you better have a look at the amp that matth built, it packs a lot of power and as he said, it is stable for pa and he actually used it for a party too.

Quote:
lots of power huh? that amp should be fine for pa system work!!! i have the complete rca transistor manual with me.....that circuit came out with two other transistor type outputs if i am not mistaken....
boy, you sure have a lot of amp collections there man .

Regards,
JojoD
Old 19th September 2003, 04:17 AM   #75
diyAudio Moderator

Default built my first tube amp in 1968...

Quote:
boy, you sure have a lot of amp collections there man .
you bet, i have a collection of "audio"; " popular electronics": and "radio electronics" magazines this is where i learn most of the stuff...i also have lots of NS, TI, Motorola data books collected over the years....i built my first solidstate amps in 1972....
Old 26th October 2003, 09:52 PM   #76
Zodiac is offline Zodiac  United States
diyAudio Member

You should get yourself BPM Studio by Alcatech, it is a full on MP3 mixing software, the MP3 engine itself runs in the kernel, so never crashes, judders etc. Then get urself a plug in USB soundcard like a Maya, that has 2 channels + out. Then all you do is plug in your 4 phono connectors into the external soundcard, plug the other end into the mixer, then you check and beatmix from the mixer. The software allows you to play 2 MP3 (or more, up to 13 I think) at the same time, and can output all of them, as long as your soundcard is up to the job. Works for me!
Old 27th October 2003, 01:21 AM   #77
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

"I built the Tigersaurus and it sounded awful. (used the SWTPC boards too.) I think that I still have the issue of Popular Electronics from the 1970's. (was it popular electronics, one of those consumer mags.)"

A problem of some sort. Probably oscillating. These amps sound absolutely killer when done right.

Mine oscillated at 2Mhz when first powered up. Sounded like an electric shaver and got real hot.

It was the solid tantalum input coupling cap.
Old 27th October 2003, 03:06 AM   #78
diyAudio Moderator

Default daniel meyer's tigersaurs, radio electronics magazine dec.1973

djk,
i still have about ten sets of boards, the 40410/40409 rca transistors can no longer be found here in manila, even the shop selling them has long closed down....this amp is prone to oscilations, probably the reason for the 100ohm resistor feeding the bases of the output transistors, but even with it, there is still oscilations evidenced by power amps get hot sometimes even without signal and biasing is just right at about 50ma idle....
Old 27th October 2003, 09:23 AM   #79
blmn is offline blmn  Brazil
diyAudio Member

C3PO

Quote:
Yes, I built it 15 ago in a college work.

It worked fine. 360W at 8ohms load with less than .01% THD.

regards,

Hide this!Advertise here!