My new 1000W PA amp (pic post)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are some step by step photos of my new dual mono block 500W PA amplifier.
1:
The case constructed with the transformers bolted in:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 3,390
Hi Matt

Nice work! Are those squirrelcage fans on the heatsinks? And what is that green cylindrical thing next to the two power transformers? Some sort of supression capacitor?

One piece of constructive criticism I have, is that the 10A relays on that Velleman kit are far too small for your project. The kit is specified for use with a 300W/4R PC amp at most. I am almost certain that such a large power supply could release enough energy to weld shut the the relay contacts in the event of a catastrophic fault. In fact, I remember seeing the relays used in an old Maplin 1kW MOSFET power amp design published in the 80s, which were very large and far hevier duty than the components used in the Velleman kit. Maybe you could use the on-board relays to switch power to a larger set. Also bear in mind the advice given on Rod Elliott's page about connecting the relay contacts:

http://sound.westhost.com/project33.htm

Cheers,
Tim.

Hi Tim,

Yep they are squirrelcage fans, they came with the heatsinks (Ebay to the rescue). The heatsinks were originally running 48A Triacs or something similar. The green thing is a 15A mains filter.
The Amplifiers themselves have shortcircuit protection built in and will not put out more than 8A approx before the output is clamped so I should be alright. Ideally I would like bigger relays but I am under a time constraint as I have a Disco to do on Friday!!!

Hi Matt

The Amplifiers themselves have shortcircuit protection built in and will not put out more than 8A approx before the output is clamped so I should be alright. Ideally I would like bigger relays but I am under a time constraint as I have a Disco to do on Friday!!!

If the output devices fail, the speaker load is shorted to one of the supply rails regardless of any short circuit protection, which is only effective while the output devices are intact. You need bigger relays to expect effective speaker protection in the event of such a fault.

Good luck with your disco on Friday! What are you using to drive the amp?

BTW, I'd like to see more pics of your stuff, but I can't get your link to work.

See ya,
Tim.

OK, point taken. I bought the kit for the turn on delay and will retrofit some bigger relays soon. The url to my website is wrong but it is a mess anyway at the moment and I really only use it for hosting pictures.
I am driving the amp with a pro mixer running through a 2way active crossover (24db LR) fromt he ESP pages built into a 1U case with my own pcb boards. It contains balenced line receivers the crossover, some output buffers and balenced line drivers. The crossover freq is 310Hz. The mids and highs are run into a 200W+200W amp based on Holtons Lateral amp and the bass is run into this amp. I will post pictures of the other componants when I have more time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.