My new 1000W PA amp (pic post)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
excellent system, good craftmanship.

I use a pair of denon 1800nf's (two units). And, burn the songs to 8cm cd's. A small suitcase will hold 1500 discs, more than enough to carry all my collection.

I've always been fraid of having to re-boot when the dance floor's full. The Denon's are bulletproof. Only problem I had was a power drop that shut the unit off. So, now I'll get a 100-200w ups to handle the dip, unit draws 14 watts.

I have a two tigersaurus 3ru amp chassis, but the bugger is too heavy, I now use some qcr rmx 1450's instead, much lighter.

Now if I could just make a pair of LAB horns that weighed 20 lbs apiece.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
nice

Seem to have lost my first reply to this..if not, well I repeat myself..

I run a pair of Denon 1800NF's..love them. Only thing I'll add is a 100-200 w ups, as line drop can stop the player..it only uses 14 watts line..

Burned all my songs to 8cm CD's, a small suitcase holds 1500 discs.

I was afraid of getting stuck re-booting a PC with a full dance floor..major egg on the face.

I share your "too heavy" feeling. Have a twin tigersaurus in a 3ru chassis, pain to carry.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Tigers

I built a total of 8..Purchased directly from swtpc. 128 dollars each..major buy...

Built 4 for a club..4 for myself.

After bout a year, modded mine, putting 2 each into 3ru chassis'. Recently sold one, it was not finished.

I have full manuals and schematics scanned to jpegs, a mouseclick away..

Is it acceptable to post the schematic here?

Is it acceptable to post the schematic here?

Good question. With the "company" long gone I don’t know that there are any Intellectual Property claims that can be made on it, other than that the designer is likely still out there somewhere and his intentions would be relevant to the issue.

At minimum I think it should be a new thread so as not to totally hijack this good one. I think that my own posts are far to disruptive to be encouraging anyone else down the path of digression.

How do the amps sound compared to the stuff that’s available today?

Any thoughts from the Mods?

-Dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
tigers sound

Critical listening it moot..the cooling fans are too loud for a living room. But I believe it's like a bryston 4.

I set the bias full off, giving xover notch distortion, but made the units really temp robust..Always used the meters to judge output..if the needles hit the right side pin too hard, I had the volume too high..never popped an amp, though.

hey guys! anyone already tried to build this amp? it was already discussed before on the forum...

Attachments

• 300wa.jpg
    300wa.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 922
hey guys! anyone already tried to build this amp? it was already discussed before on the forum...

I think you better have a look at the amp that matth built, it packs a lot of power and as he said, it is stable for pa and he actually used it for a party too.

lots of power huh? that amp should be fine for pa system work!!! i have the complete rca transistor manual with me.....that circuit came out with two other transistor type outputs if i am not mistaken....

boy, you sure have a lot of amp collections there man ;) .

Regards,
JojoD

built my first tube amp in 1968...

boy, you sure have a lot of amp collections there man .

you bet, i have a collection of "audio"; " popular electronics": and "radio electronics" magazines this is where i learn most of the stuff...i also have lots of NS, TI, Motorola data books collected over the years....i built my first solidstate amps in 1972....

You should get yourself BPM Studio by Alcatech, it is a full on MP3 mixing software, the MP3 engine itself runs in the kernel, so never crashes, judders etc. Then get urself a plug in USB soundcard like a Maya, that has 2 channels + out. Then all you do is plug in your 4 phono connectors into the external soundcard, plug the other end into the mixer, then you check and beatmix from the mixer. The software allows you to play 2 MP3 (or more, up to 13 I think) at the same time, and can output all of them, as long as your soundcard is up to the job. Works for me!

"I built the Tigersaurus and it sounded awful. (used the SWTPC boards too.) I think that I still have the issue of Popular Electronics from the 1970's. (was it popular electronics, one of those consumer mags.)"

A problem of some sort. Probably oscillating. These amps sound absolutely killer when done right.

Mine oscillated at 2Mhz when first powered up. Sounded like an electric shaver and got real hot.

It was the solid tantalum input coupling cap.

daniel meyer's tigersaurs, radio electronics magazine dec.1973

djk,
i still have about ten sets of boards, the 40410/40409 rca transistors can no longer be found here in manila, even the shop selling them has long closed down....this amp is prone to oscilations, probably the reason for the 100ohm resistor feeding the bases of the output transistors, but even with it, there is still oscilations evidenced by power amps get hot sometimes even without signal and biasing is just right at about 50ma idle....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.