Electrolytic Cap can I replace with film - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2011, 06:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile Electrolytic Cap can I replace with film

Hi,
I can not get a straight answer on this hope you guys can help me. I have a Marantz Receiver and want to replace some of the small value caps (like 1uf, 2.2uf, and 3.3uf) with film caps on my preamp board. The ones I am finding are rated at 250V.

So 2 questions:

1. the caps I am replacing are 25V and 50V rated. I have seen on a chart on the web that you could use a 250V rated cap in it's place, is this ok?

2. Can you put a film cap in an electrolytic cap location that is polar, the films are not marked + or- also can you use a film to replace a non polae elec. cap?

Thanks!
Old 11th September 2011, 06:34 PM   #2
Ron AKA is offline Ron AKA  Canada
diyAudio Member

1. Yes
2. Yes, Yes
Old 11th September 2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

As above from an electrical view.

From a mechanical, view if the films don't fit the print the result will look a mess. If you have to start adding wires to the caps then it's even worse as the length of wire destroys the very properties you are looking to improve.
Old 11th September 2011, 07:35 PM   #4
dheming is offline dheming  United States
diyAudio Member

The main problem is just the large physical size of the film caps vs e-caps. As was mentioned it's not really ideal to use long wires to connect them the the PCB. When doing this I like to use caps that have long enough leads to not have to use wire at all. Also the lower the voltage rating the smaller the film cap will be at the same uF rating. Generic mylars can be had in 100v.

You can also use "euro blocks" to allow easier swapping/rolling of capacitors. I did this on my cheap CDP a few years back: Modifying the NAD C521BEE You can see in post #2 how I got rid of the extender wires and just bent the leads themselves to fit into the euro blocks. They barely made it to them.
Old 11th September 2011, 09:05 PM   #5
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Look at Wima MKS2 series capacitors - these are all 5mm pin pitch and are great replacements for electrolytics in these situations.
Old 11th September 2011, 09:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi, and thanks all for the help and quick replies. What value cap would you use to bypass a 1uf, 2.2uf or 3.3uf film?
Old 12th September 2011, 06:39 AM   #7
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfont View Post
Hi, and thanks all for the help and quick replies. What value cap would you use to bypass a 1uf, 2.2uf or 3.3uf film?
Doesn't need it
Old 12th September 2011, 09:53 AM   #8
jez is offline jez  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You are wasting your time money and energy on this!
Old 12th September 2011, 04:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jez View Post
You are wasting your time money and energy on this!
I disagree. 20 year old electrolytic caps need to go. By that age about a fourth of them will be low value, unless super sealed long life grade (not found in consumer products, mostly). I don't know where you live, but lots of people stock 63v film caps here like newark.com and mouser.com. newark operates in about 50 countries as farnell.com. You can download the .pdf file from newark or mouser and figure out the size and lead length before you buy them. Some may be more suitable than others.
Old 12th September 2011, 04:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Patfont,

Check the Panasonic V series stacked metal film. Their 1uF/50 part is as small as a 1uF/50V aluminum electrolytic.

Digi-Key - P4537TB-ND (Manufacturer - ECQ-V1H105JL3)

datasheet:

ECQV(L)/(M) Series | Film Capacitors | Passive & Electromechanical | Panasonic Industrial Solutions Global

Ignore the naysayers in this thread

Hide this!Advertise here!