PCB Layout Process and Guidelines? - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2012, 04:46 PM   #71
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

split power attachments as on Alex' is not the way to layout.
Old 28th October 2012, 04:46 PM   #72
alex mm is online now alex mm  Romania
diyAudio Member

jkuetemann ,
What can I say , your board it's fine , I have learned a lot, myself from this thread . The skill comme by every layout , so we can practice all time we have , dedicated to prepare PCB's. I like PCB's compact , all in one ,so my PCB look like this attached below.
Regards Alex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PCB ALL TOP GREY J.K..jpg (664.3 KB, 289 views)

Last edited by alex mm; 28th October 2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 28th October 2012, 07:11 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
split power attachments as on Alex' is not the way to layout.
You disagree with power being delivered via the other side of the TO-3 flange? I wouldn't have thought it to have made much difference and eases the placement of MF decoupling, rail catching diodes and facilitates board testing prior to fitting the output transistors. I rather liked the approach. What is the issue? There are no long traces involved and essentially the power is still being delivered directly to the outputs.

Or did I miss something else in Alex's layout? It is fundamentally very similar to mine, but with his own signature flair.
Old 28th October 2012, 08:03 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

No, I disagree with the high loop area power connections. See the spacing of V+ & V- and PG.
Note also how these three wires span over the low level stages.
Old 28th October 2012, 08:14 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

I understand what you are suggesting now, not so much an issue on the PCB but rather the power delivery to the PCB. Fair enough. Like I said before this is an exercise in skill development.

So, here's a few changes. MF rail decoupling, diodes across the audio ground isolation resistor, some rerouting of traces and a few components moved. Still haven't decided where the place catching diodes just yet.

Thanks for the active discussion so far folks, it might not be pretty but I think I'm beginning to see the light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Generic Amp Layout v7.JPG (714.6 KB, 270 views)
Old 31st October 2012, 02:59 AM   #76
diyAudio Member

The 'Generic PSU' to compliment the 'Generic Amp'. Planning on the project being modular, Soft Start, PSU, Speaker Protect, et al as separate 'modules'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Generic PSUv2.JPG (697.5 KB, 211 views)
Old 31st October 2012, 02:08 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

The input fuses can't do much to improve safety.
]The high charge rates into the discharged capacitors require high value T rated fues.
These fuses then tolerate enormous overload currents.

Far better to close rate the transformer primary circuit fuse.
eg 200VA with 110/120Vac mains requires <=2A fuse to run the following 100W to 150W of maximum output power amplifier all day long at party volume levels.
I would experiment with T1.6A and T2A, to see just how low in fuse rating I could go, without incurring nuisance blowing.
Old 31st October 2012, 02:34 PM   #78
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Power Supply for Audio Power Amplifier

Hi Jason,

I am basically doing a similar task as you are. I have designed a power amp using the LME49830 + LatFet, similar as was done by OPC (Owen). I managed to get a used transformer from a scraped Pioneer SX-1250 via eBay. I am merging two designs, the power supply section of the SX-1250 & the National Audio Power Amp Power Supply application note. I have done the Power Amp Recifier assembly & the PowerAmp assembly, so far and working on the attached PCB/schematic of the AC input assy. Still need to figure out the regulator for the LME49830, probably will just use a simple LM317/337, for that. Disregard the thin traces, as I just did a quick route last night, they will be beefed up with thick traces & copper pours. This gives me a chance to have people review what I am doing and get feedback as well. Hope that this is of some help to you. If you have any question, please ask.

Regards
Rick
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Layout.pdf (312.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: pdf SCHEMATIC1 _ PAGE1.pdf (18.7 KB, 58 views)
Old 31st October 2012, 04:41 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

What good result for tracks distance/spacing for voltage levels. I'm remember the UL-60950-1 standard say the tracks distance/spacing is 1mm for < 100V.
Correct me if i wrong!
Old 30th December 2013, 02:00 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

I know this thread has been left for some time, but I have been continuing to evolve and want to put a PCB layout up for comment. This is a VSSA variant and in no way related to prior examples I have posted on this thread before.

I have tried to keep loops tight and local. Since my current plan is to have a board house produce the board I have elected to make use of both sides of the board. This allows for the use of PTH and more convenient routing. Where a change of layer was desired I used a component lead location for the purpose. I have tried to allow for generous clearances and keep silkscreen neat and off the pads.

Any constructive comments welcome, tell me what you do or do not like about it and why. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VSSAv2.JPG (743.3 KB, 137 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!