PCB Layout Process and Guidelines? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2011, 11:46 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

hi jkuetemann,

Here's my advise.

1. Read as many related posts as possible, all the information has be posted before, over and over.
2. Just do it and get it finished. It will never be "perfect" but learning from you own experience is invaluable.
3. Do not ask too many questions, you will only get 15 contradictory replies that will confuse the issue and prolong the project.
4. All (most) of us post information based on anecdotal evidence. Amp A sounds better than Amp B, arh... it must be because the PCB is red not green.

regards
Old 12th September 2011, 12:02 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
hi jkuetemann,
3. Do not ask too many questions, you will only get 15 contradictory replies that will confuse the issue and prolong the project.
My advice comes from 30 years experience of pcb design.
It also comes from 20 years of writing and improving pcb cad design software.

Error checking is absolutely vital and I have concentrated on this.
Old 12th September 2011, 12:50 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
My advice comes from 30 years experience of pcb design.
It also comes from 20 years of writing and improving pcb cad design software.

Error checking is absolutely vital and I have concentrated on this.
hi nigelwright7557,

I tried to PM you and this reply doesn't add value to the thread, but it seems you have PM turned off.

I have read lots of your posts over the years and have great respect for your knowledge and skills, not to mention your keenness to pass on your experience. I am also envious of your software writing skills, that would be perfect, to have such control of the design process. I wasn't having a go at anyone.

Yes, error checking is absolutely vital. I won't look at posted PCBs in detail unless the schematic is also posted. IMHO, software that doesn't have forward and backward annotation is next to useless but I have seen people do the job with MS Paint but who am I to say this is the wrong approach for them.

regards
Old 12th September 2011, 01:00 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
hi nigelwright7557,

I tried to PM you and this reply doesn't add value to the thread, but it seems you have PM turned off.

I am also envious of your software writing skills, that would be perfect, to have such control of the design process. I wasn't having a go at anyone.

regards
According to CP my pm is on.

You can download a copy of visual c# express and start writing your own pcb software. C# is very powerful for programming and also is great for pcb graphics for pads tracks text etc
When I first started I had to write all my own graphics routines right down to plotting points, tracks, pads text etc. and that was all done in assembler writing directly to the pc screen bitmaps !

I developed my software while using it, as I found a need for a new function e.g. back annotation then I would add it.

My software is flogged to death and has around 500 users so I get to know of bugs very quickly. If anyone finds a bug then I fix it and immediately send them an update. Other companies just add it to a "to do" list for the next revision.

Last edited by nigelwright7557; 12th September 2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12th September 2011, 01:48 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
According to CP my pm is on.
Sorry to reply to myself but I fixed the PM, I had opted to only let moderators PM me.
Old 12th September 2011, 02:00 AM   #36
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Pcb design is a form of industrial art with strong technical input. You learn by doing, then being coached by an experienced person. It's not easy and takes years to perfect, and even then there are always criticisms. The advice given here is excellent.

Nigel, how do you create a thermal relief pad in Protel 1.12? I realise you may not know, but it's driving me crazy and any advice gratefully received,

Cheers,

Hugh

Last edited by AKSA; 12th September 2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old 12th September 2011, 02:04 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSA View Post

Nigel, how do you create a thermal relief pad in Protel 1.12? I realise you may not know, but it's driving me crazy and any advice gratefully received,

Cheers,

Hugh
Not sure about Protel but my software automatically creates a powerplane with relief for pads and tracks unless the track net is connected to the powerplane net.
Old 12th September 2011, 02:08 AM   #38
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

I had good results as the designer, sitting with the contract PBC layout "jockey" - I could guide parts placement, highlight sensitive nodes, runs, voice concerns on power distribution - but he could run rings around me in implementaiton choices, running the sw

when on my own rats nest with rubber banding, starting with absolute constraints on power distribution/seperation from sensitive circuits - a willingness to start over when finding myself "cornered" seem most valuable

don't forget that as a hobbyist jumpers, above board bus bars, dropping soldered input, output or even power (twisted pairs) into the middle of the board can be practical where mass manufacture may prevent such "shortcuts"

Last edited by jcx; 12th September 2011 at 02:16 AM.
Old 12th September 2011, 01:00 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
Don't forget that as a hobbyist jumpers, above board bus bars, dropping soldered input, output or even power (twisted pairs) into the middle of the board can be practical where mass manufacture may prevent such "shortcuts"
Yes, I must remember these things as well. I'm planning on constructing my boards at home, so combinations of these techniques are allowable. DIY has a certain flexibility in implementation you don't get in mass manufacture. I appreciate the input that has been provided. I will also continue to 'study' some of the more popular / successful projects here to see how the more experienced have chosen to approach the task.
Old 10th October 2012, 03:44 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

First off, sorry about reviving an old thread of mine but since the content is relevant I figured better to continue with this one than start anew.

I'd like some peer review related to the PCB layouts more so than the schematic. I'm looking for gross layout problems or outright errors that I may not have seen. I am also interested in the finer points as well. Any constructive comments or criticism welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Generic Amp Schematic.jpg (388.4 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg Generic Amp Layout.JPG (672.5 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg Generic PSU.JPG (584.0 KB, 238 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!