connecting two 110v amplifiers in series on 220v mains

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, i have two Sony vintage 330ES series amplifiers... excellent build, even the regulation coapacitors are held on absortptive velevet rtrip and stripped to reduced vibration, an out class toridal transformer and so on. i have two of them and both are 110 volt input, my question is that can i wire them in series , the primarr side and plug it into 220 v main supply ???? i would thenn avoid the need to have a step down transforer for each ???

ok lets see it this way..... its two channel bridgeable amplifier , when we run a bridge amplifier it inverts the signal of one of the channel 180 degree out of phase with the main signal , so let L1 be the (left channel of amp 1) be brdiged with R2 ( the right channel of the second amp) in this ways the impedance as seen from load side for each transformer would be the same, similarly R1 could be bridged with L2 , for all 4 inputs i am hoping to use all 4 channels for LFE output........needs some serious Electrical Engineering modeling here..... difficult but i think possible.....lets start to scratch our EE heads???

ok lets see it this way..... its two channel bridgeable amplifier , when we run a bridge amplifier it inverts the signal of one of the channel 180 degree out of phase with the main signal , so let L1 be the (left channel of amp 1) be brdiged with R2 ( the right channel of the second amp) in this ways the impedance as seen from load side for each transformer would be the same, similarly R1 could be bridged with L2 , for all 4 inputs i am hoping to use all 4 channels for LFE output........needs some serious Electrical Engineering modeling here..... difficult but i think possible.....lets start to scratch our EE heads???

Smoke is guaranteed! It is one thing to bridge two amplifiers on a common chassis with a common power supply, it is not the same the way you are headed.

You really should be able to set the power supplies inside the units to 220 volt operation.

HELL NO.

Hi everyone, i have two Sony vintage 330ES series amplifiers... excellent build, even the regulation coapacitors are held on absortptive velevet rtrip and stripped to reduced vibration, an out class toridal transformer and so on. i have two of them and both are 110 volt input, my question is that can i wire them in series , the primarr side and plug it into 220 v main supply ???? i would thenn avoid the need to have a step down transforer for each ???

yes if you are using them as a single amp, turning on simultaneously, and in a bridged configuration.....otherwise no...

It does sound stupid. Guess why?

What happens to a transformer when you put a lot of DC through it? Two things: it stops working as a transformer due to magnetic saturation, and the windings get very hot and emit lots of blue magic smoke. As everyone knows, once the blue smoke has escaped the item stops working. If you try really hard you might even start a fire.

What happens to a transformer when you put a lot of DC through it? Two things: it stops working as a transformer due to magnetic saturation, and the windings get very hot and emit lots of blue magic smoke. As everyone knows, once the blue smoke has escaped the item stops working. If you try really hard you might even start a fire.

Actually I have two qualms with your reply! One may be just your use of English. it is magic blue smoke, the order is important!

The second is that devices used to be sold that tried this idea for devices such as hair dryers! Of course after a few fires they stopped doing it that way and started using triacs set for 90 degrees of delay after each zero crossing. That works a bit better for heating devices, but of course not for transformer powered stuff.

How does the transformer know it is DC, I won't tell. In fact rectified AC is not DC at all.

Nico

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.