Recommend amplifier to build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am looking for all solid state class AB amplifier with very very good sound/performance with about 50W into 8 ohms of power.

I have already built LM3875 chipamp (not a bad sound for that little money) and 25W class A tube/mosfet hybrid without GNFB, which is not suited for my taste of music which is mainly rock/metal.

I was thinking about Leach amplifier or DX Blame amplifier. But Leach looks to be very powerfull and I do not know if DX Blame is one of the best amps or just ordinary one.

Thank you.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
I have the same taste in music, its not easy to choose a amp for it. I have found that the fast amps sound the best for this type music, stay away when they say the amp sounds tubey, as you have out for yourself. The best Ive heard as a diy is the stochino amp, not simple to build and I only recommend for advanced users, I also give credit to the optimos amp which is also very good and powerful.

As a simpler project I would recommend the Symasym amp, it has a powerful bass and sweet trebles, blame type amps are a bit bass light for this type of music.

Comparision and new amp?

Hi,

So I have my Symasym built for about half a year now and it is so far the best amp for me. Sounds better to my ears than Pass F5.

Is there some DIY project which sounds better than Symasym? Maybe Leach? I am fine with 50W into 8 Ohms. Please no class A heaters.

Thanks.

I think dadod's thread "ThermalTrak+TMC amp" has done a good job at combining several of the important topics from Bob Cordell's recent amplifier book into a design that simulates well. See post #48,

DADO-TT-triple-bufferedVAS.pdf

1) Triple T output stage
2) TMC nested feedback
3) improved cascode circuits for front-end diff stage
4) JFET input transistors
5) optional regulated power supplies

Since speakers make a larger difference in sound quality than amps.
Have you considered designing a multi-amp speaker with analog or digital electronic crossover? You could put multiple amps into one chassis, plus any necessary Xover circuits.

I have the same taste in music, its not easy to choose a amp for it. I have found that the fast amps sound the best for this type music, stay away when they say the amp sounds tubey, as you have out for yourself. The best Ive heard as a diy is the stochino amp, not simple to build and I only recommend for advanced users, I also give credit to the optimos amp which is also very good and powerful.

As a simpler project I would recommend the Symasym amp, it has a powerful bass and sweet trebles, blame type amps are a bit bass light for this type of music.

As I listen to just about any type of music, classical to metal......that doesn't suck.:D Generally, I find that a relatively fast SR and particularly high frequency damping makes a big difference. Also phase distortions resulting from a poorly chosen input cap that suffers from dielectric absorption is also detrimental.

Hi,

I am looking for all solid state class AB amplifier with very very good sound/performance with about 50W into 8 ohms of power.

I have already built LM3875 chipamp (not a bad sound for that little money) and 25W class A tube/mosfet hybrid without GNFB, which is not suited for my taste of music which is mainly rock/metal.

http://www.armory.com/~rstevew/Public/Ccts/4oma120w.gif

BTW rock/metal recordings are very simple for reproduction in compare to pipe organ recordings for example. Metal/rock usually sounds more appealing being colored by an oscillation like purely implemented modern UHF OPAMP in the signal path.

I think dadod's thread "ThermalTrak+TMC amp" has done a good job at combining several of the important topics from Bob Cordell's recent amplifier book into a design that simulates well. See post #48,

1) Triple T output stage
2) TMC nested feedback

Have you considered designing a multi-amp speaker with analog or digital electronic crossover? You could put multiple amps into one chassis, plus any necessary Xover circuits.

Will look at that amplifier. I dont wnat any multi-amp solution.

26 guys from your country have assembled Dx amplifiers

The only amp that forum that has soul, it brings a spirit of light, which provides sound divine and heavenly is the Dx amplifier, or any line Dx made ​​by an amateur like you, love like you, as a curious person and interested you, for advanced amateur ... by people like you used to listen to music, composing music and playing music as you, amplifier which was tuned using the ear to adjust, which was revamped, revised, re-calibrated, that suffered evolution, which was tested and tortured and survived, units that were assembled by hundreds of colleagues from that forum, who are playing good music around this planet, which received excellent evaluations and no complaints, it was explained, detailed, and had explained in his circuit minimum details, whose project was practically taught to those who quizessem make your own custom amp or drive ... the one that has hundreds of pages explaining details with diagrams, doodles, sketches, videos and photos ..... which has sites on the Internet showing layouts, cards, adjustments and details .... units that were made with love, dedication to the forum, made ​​with passion .... that lead from friendship and dedication to the community, amplifiers that have emerged from the projects of Aksa and Dr. Self ... something very special .... amplifiers that have a soul ... the others have only parts and components.....

to be continued.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Hehehehe.jpg
    Hehehehe.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 705
Dx amplifier designer, this friend you have...uncle charlie

is the one shows his face.... someone that has a face..... is the one that shows documents, pappers, adresses and so on without any kind of fear...someone that is not hidden behind a nick name or code name... a real person, a real human, a Brazilian, from the country of Samba, football and love.

.....Dx amplifiers bring joy, make you dance and make you cry with emotion ... something made ​​by you, from your effort and your hands ..... just the one that will bring you in touch with the divine, that said "love one another" ... and it was this spirit of love for others and the community that these amplifiers have emerged.

In special, your friend Dx has a family, has pictures and publish them, has videos teaching basic electronics, answer any message you send and use to help people to build, to adjust and to test...the real DIY guy.

I do not sell things, i am not a business...i do not use my amplifiers to tool or lever sales outside forum.... pirates are selling but they are not me..i am not hidden making sales using some fake adresses registered in other countries or using other languages as some bad people may imagine...i was here and i am here to help people without payment.

I can accept thank you...i can accept reviews about the amplifier and i can accept suggestions by direct email (to avoid haters to bother).

Build a Dx amplifier man.... there are many guys in your place listening a Dx amplifier.

Others will give you sound.... Dx amplifiers will provide you contact with the divine...the magic of natural sound..... music for anjos to dance!

Dx amplifiers have also a channel in youtube that shows not only electronics but other things.... even truckers, brazilian roads, food and so on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSPg3oRB_Ck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C956eWydMFk

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• HRII Full.jpg
    HRII Full.jpg
    983.5 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:
SSA BIGBT

Why not build the SSA BIGBT being built by Lazy Cat? The input topology is very good. It is very fast and has very low distortion. It is very difficult to design because it relies on symmetry which means that with simple design you need to be precise with component choice and tolerance. But Lazy Cat himself has pioneered building the BIGBT version. Not expensive but it sounds impressive.

I'm still trying to build the latfet version (40VAC, 56.56 volt rail) to beat my Goldmund Mimesis 3 on the specifications with no success yet. But even with worse specifications the SSA topology gives I think a more favorable sound.

I am sorry, but I dont understand you. Why would anything sound better with oscilating poweramp??

I absolutely agreed with you any good power amp sounds the same - fully transparent (that is were tube class A gear shines) - and suits for amplification of any type of music as good speakers are.

Moreover metal/rock has limited BW both from the bottom and the top that makes it's reproduction easier (less demanding) for gear.

But based on my limited experience very limited audiophiles primarily HiEnd's gear owners are regarding fully transparent amplification.

Might sounds appealing in your case:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/16350-current-dumping-amp-2.html

http://forum.cxem.net/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=5862

1) Triple T output stage
2) TMC nested feedback

Now, two channels are ready for real life test.
dado

Attachments

• 26032012935.JPG
    26032012935.JPG
    657.1 KB · Views: 622
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
I absolutely agreed with you any good power amp sounds the same - fully transparent (that is were tube class A gear shines) - and suits for amplification of any type of music as good speakers are.

Moreover metal/rock has limited BW both from the bottom and the top that makes it's reproduction easier (less demanding) for gear.

But based on my limited experience very limited audiophiles primarily HiEnd's gear owners are regarding fully transparent amplification.

Might sounds appealing in your case:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/16350-current-dumping-amp-2.html

http://forum.cxem.net/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=5862

Are you joking ??? Metal and rock are most demanding, do you have any idea what IM distortion is or what it implicates especially with this type of music. Here most accurate reproduction is necessary or it sounds like a mess, tubes with their high distortion and euphonic distortion patterns with very high orders of 2nd harmonics kills the life out of this type music. The second harmonic mix with the high frequencies and blurs and overpowers them.
Its no wonder so called audiofiles only listen to classics, there amps are no good with other types.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.