Recommend amplifier to build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2011, 10:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Recommend amplifier to build

Hi,

I am looking for all solid state class AB amplifier with very very good sound/performance with about 50W into 8 ohms of power.

I have already built LM3875 chipamp (not a bad sound for that little money) and 25W class A tube/mosfet hybrid without GNFB, which is not suited for my taste of music which is mainly rock/metal.

I was thinking about Leach amplifier or DX Blame amplifier. But Leach looks to be very powerfull and I do not know if DX Blame is one of the best amps or just ordinary one.

Thank you.
Old 7th September 2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Account disabled at member's request

I have the same taste in music, its not easy to choose a amp for it. I have found that the fast amps sound the best for this type music, stay away when they say the amp sounds tubey, as you have out for yourself. The best Ive heard as a diy is the stochino amp, not simple to build and I only recommend for advanced users, I also give credit to the optimos amp which is also very good and powerful.

As a simpler project I would recommend the Symasym amp, it has a powerful bass and sweet trebles, blame type amps are a bit bass light for this type of music.
Old 7th September 2011, 11:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Symasym looks good. It seems to have all attributes I am searching for.

Thank you!
Old 25th March 2012, 07:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Comparision and new amp?

Hi,

So I have my Symasym built for about half a year now and it is so far the best amp for me. Sounds better to my ears than Pass F5.

Is there some DIY project which sounds better than Symasym? Maybe Leach? I am fine with 50W into 8 Ohms. Please no class A heaters.

Thanks.
Old 25th March 2012, 09:49 PM   #5
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Roender's FC 100 shares some of the symasym topology.

There are soon to be PCBs for a clone of Roender's amp.
Old 25th March 2012, 11:00 PM   #6
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacernator View Post
Hi,

So I have my Symasym built for about half a year now and it is so far the best amp for me. Sounds better to my ears than Pass F5.

Is there some DIY project which sounds better than Symasym? Maybe Leach? I am fine with 50W into 8 Ohms. Please no class A heaters.

Thanks.
What speakers .....?
Old 25th March 2012, 11:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Speakers are 8 ohm bookshelf Focal Chorus 807V. I have F5 with IRF and simple mosfet regulated power supply. Symasym has more detail, better soundstage and is overall more cleaner and accurate without generating lots of class a heat.

Last edited by kacernator; 25th March 2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 26th March 2012, 12:53 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I think dadod's thread "ThermalTrak+TMC amp" has done a good job at combining several of the important topics from Bob Cordell's recent amplifier book into a design that simulates well. See post #48,

DADO-TT-triple-bufferedVAS.pdf

1) Triple T output stage
2) TMC nested feedback
3) improved cascode circuits for front-end diff stage
4) JFET input transistors
5) optional regulated power supplies

Since speakers make a larger difference in sound quality than amps.
Have you considered designing a multi-amp speaker with analog or digital electronic crossover? You could put multiple amps into one chassis, plus any necessary Xover circuits.
Old 26th March 2012, 01:04 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacernator View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
I have the M400, but I wish I had the schematic for you.it is a killer amp.Take a look at it:http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...A6kPIcHmjXPvTw
Old 26th March 2012, 04:20 AM   #10
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemodder View Post
I have the same taste in music, its not easy to choose a amp for it. I have found that the fast amps sound the best for this type music, stay away when they say the amp sounds tubey, as you have out for yourself. The best Ive heard as a diy is the stochino amp, not simple to build and I only recommend for advanced users, I also give credit to the optimos amp which is also very good and powerful.

As a simpler project I would recommend the Symasym amp, it has a powerful bass and sweet trebles, blame type amps are a bit bass light for this type of music.
As I listen to just about any type of music, classical to metal......that doesn't suck. Generally, I find that a relatively fast SR and particularly high frequency damping makes a big difference. Also phase distortions resulting from a poorly chosen input cap that suffers from dielectric absorption is also detrimental.

Hide this!Advertise here!