diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   Recommend amplifier to build (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/196110-recommend-amplifier-build.html)

kacernator 7th September 2011 10:10 AM

Recommend amplifier to build

Hi,

I am looking for all solid state class AB amplifier with very very good sound/performance with about 50W into 8 ohms of power.

I have already built LM3875 chipamp (not a bad sound for that little money) and 25W class A tube/mosfet hybrid without GNFB, which is not suited for my taste of music which is mainly rock/metal.

I was thinking about Leach amplifier or DX Blame amplifier. But Leach looks to be very powerfull and I do not know if DX Blame is one of the best amps or just ordinary one.

Thank you.

homemodder 7th September 2011 11:04 AM

I have the same taste in music, its not easy to choose a amp for it. I have found that the fast amps sound the best for this type music, stay away when they say the amp sounds tubey, as you have out for yourself. The best Ive heard as a diy is the stochino amp, not simple to build and I only recommend for advanced users, I also give credit to the optimos amp which is also very good and powerful.

As a simpler project I would recommend the Symasym amp, it has a powerful bass and sweet trebles, blame type amps are a bit bass light for this type of music.

kacernator 7th September 2011 11:18 AM

Symasym looks good. It seems to have all attributes I am searching for.

Thank you!

kacernator 25th March 2012 07:13 PM

Comparision and new amp?

Hi,

So I have my Symasym built for about half a year now and it is so far the best amp for me. Sounds better to my ears than Pass F5.

Is there some DIY project which sounds better than Symasym? Maybe Leach? I am fine with 50W into 8 Ohms. Please no class A heaters.

Thanks.

AndrewT 25th March 2012 09:49 PM

Roender's FC 100 shares some of the symasym topology.

There are soon to be PCBs for a clone of Roender's amp.

a.wayne 25th March 2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kacernator (Post 2959988)
Hi,

So I have my Symasym built for about half a year now and it is so far the best amp for me. Sounds better to my ears than Pass F5.

Is there some DIY project which sounds better than Symasym? Maybe Leach? I am fine with 50W into 8 Ohms. Please no class A heaters.

Thanks.

What speakers .....?

kacernator 25th March 2012 11:18 PM

Speakers are 8 ohm bookshelf Focal Chorus 807V. I have F5 with IRF and simple mosfet regulated power supply. Symasym has more detail, better soundstage and is overall more cleaner and accurate without generating lots of class a heat.

LineSource 26th March 2012 12:53 AM

I think dadod's thread "ThermalTrak+TMC amp" has done a good job at combining several of the important topics from Bob Cordell's recent amplifier book into a design that simulates well. See post #48,

DADO-TT-triple-bufferedVAS.pdf

1) Triple T output stage
2) TMC nested feedback
3) improved cascode circuits for front-end diff stage
4) JFET input transistors
5) optional regulated power supplies

Since speakers make a larger difference in sound quality than amps.
Have you considered designing a multi-amp speaker with analog or digital electronic crossover? You could put multiple amps into one chassis, plus any necessary Xover circuits.

lanchile 26th March 2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kacernator (Post 2959988)
Hi,

Thanks.

I have the M400, but I wish I had the schematic for you.it is a killer amp.Take a look at it:http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...A6kPIcHmjXPvTw

CBS240 26th March 2012 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homemodder (Post 2700992)
I have the same taste in music, its not easy to choose a amp for it. I have found that the fast amps sound the best for this type music, stay away when they say the amp sounds tubey, as you have out for yourself. The best Ive heard as a diy is the stochino amp, not simple to build and I only recommend for advanced users, I also give credit to the optimos amp which is also very good and powerful.

As a simpler project I would recommend the Symasym amp, it has a powerful bass and sweet trebles, blame type amps are a bit bass light for this type of music.

As I listen to just about any type of music, classical to metal......that doesn't suck.:D Generally, I find that a relatively fast SR and particularly high frequency damping makes a big difference. Also phase distortions resulting from a poorly chosen input cap that suffers from dielectric absorption is also detrimental.