Recommend amplifier to build - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2012, 12:34 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacernator View Post
Looks like nice simple amplifier. Have you compared it with another amps?
yes, it sounds amazing!!! I did side by side test with Bryston B60 and at the end I sold the B60...That says it all. of course the M400 is more powerful, but I went for the sound. Bryston is an excellent amp, but I liked the sound of the M400 better. I have had so many amps like: Portal Panache, bryston B60, Marantz 2238B/2252b, Blue circle integrated, Acurus DIA100, luxman R117, Adcom etc,etc but the M400 will kick big a$$ I also build their T300, I liked it but the M400 is a keeper!!!
Old 2nd April 2012, 02:26 AM   #22
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
yes, it sounds amazing!!! I did side by side test with Bryston B60 and at the end I sold the B60...That says it all. of course the M400 is more powerful, but I went for the sound. Bryston is an excellent amp, but I liked the sound of the M400 better.
Comparing amps can often be like comparing apples to oranges. Especially if one has much simpler topology (which has its own benefit of good character). Comparing amps of the same topology makes more sense.

Looking from the picture of M400 pcb which has 8x TO-9 transistors and the mentioned 2-stage drive for the mosfet, I think it is the famous 2-stage double LTP as suggested by Hitachi. I have built many amps of this topology. Actually I planned to clone the M400, at least to simulate it to see its performance to compare with other amps of the same topology (always forgot it).

If it is really the double LTP topology, I think it should be compared with Dr Jagodic (BoraOmega) SIGMA amplifier. It seems that Jagodic's Sigma is the best that I have built for that topology.

It's quite surprising to me, that most of the time (if not all of the time) amplifier quality can be seen from its simulation!!!
Old 2nd April 2012, 03:29 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Comparing amps can often be like comparing apples to oranges. Especially if one has much simpler topology (which has its own benefit of good character). Comparing amps of the same topology makes more sense.

Looking from the picture of M400 pcb which has 8x TO-9 transistors and the mentioned 2-stage drive for the mosfet, I think it is the famous 2-stage double LTP as suggested by Hitachi. I have built many amps of this topology. Actually I planned to clone the M400, at least to simulate it to see its performance to compare with other amps of the same topology (always forgot it).

If it is really the double LTP topology, I think it should be compared with Dr Jagodic (BoraOmega) SIGMA amplifier. It seems that Jagodic's Sigma is the best that I have built for that topology.

It's quite surprising to me, that most of the time (if not all of the time) amplifier quality can be seen from its simulation!!!
Those 8 small transistors are 2N5551 and 2N5401.is it possible that you can clone this M400 without knowing the values of the parts?
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:10 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Federmann Send a message via Skype™ to Federmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacernator View Post
Hi,

I am looking for all solid state class AB amplifier with very very good sound/performance with about 50W into 8 ohms of power.
The sound is very good

Post your Solid State pics here.
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:38 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Those 8 small transistors are 2N5551 and 2N5401.is it possible that you can clone this M400 without knowing the values of the parts?
I haven't tried yet (to find the values)
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:19 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I haven't tried yet (to find the values)
Well. the "ONLY" way to find the values is if you have one on your hands or someone (like me) tells you. you will not find the M400 schematic, specifications, values etc on the web. beside that there is a trick with schematic (parts). if you just fallow schematic...you will just blow the amp!!!

PS: I do not have a pdf for schematic, they will not provide one. They send full introductions how to build it step by step, voltages adjustments, parts values and the tricks. all this is by e-mail. so I had to print it (twice) just in case I loose the info in my computer.

Last edited by lanchile; 2nd April 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:27 PM   #27
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Well. the "ONLY" way to find the values is if you have one on your hands or someone (like me) tells you. you will not find the M400 schematic, specifications, values etc on the web. beside that there is a trick with schematic (parts). if you just fallow schematic...you will just blow the amp!!!

Oh no another magic formula
Theres a couple of those around here, except its just all basic and well known tricks superpassed 20 years ago.

You must be the designer, surely there are better marketing ways than this.
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:49 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemodder View Post

Oh no another magic formula
Theres a couple of those around here, except its just all basic and well known tricks superpassed 20 years ago.

lol, I wish I was the designer of this marvelous amp
Old 3rd April 2012, 08:03 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemodder View Post
Hehehe. For us hard core DIYers, there is nothing new with amplifiers. It is just about marketing. Of course, we're not the target market. There are dummies and beginners out there to sell amps to. Not us
Old 3rd April 2012, 01:12 PM   #30
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Hehehe. For us hard core DIYers, there is nothing new with amplifiers. It is just about marketing. Of course, we're not the target market. There are dummies and beginners out there to sell amps to. Not us
Some of these marketers are actually very good, look at goldmund, common design, nothing special and they fool people into paying amounts that could buy a small car for a amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!