Amplifier volume knob noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Something I saw at the Silicon Chip website... with the amp power off, connect a signal generator to the wiper and arm 1 of the pot. Connect a signal tracer to the wiper and arm 2. Move the wiper. If the noise is present it's caused by the pot.
That's my recollection. I can dig up the article if you'd like.

Well, looking at a blowup of the link showing the pot, it does seem to be an ugly one to dissasemble. Looks like one channel in front of ganged wiper and second channel behind. Front resistive element faces back and one behind faces front. Front can be got at with just the four bent tabs. Getting full access to back resistive element looks ugly, but doable. Might just have to suck it up and do it.
Don't know of any cheap motorized pots. The ones that had the screws were certain versions of Allen-Bradleys. The best quality pots used to be made by spectrol. Vishay made the best resistive elements second to none, but they've now merged with ohmite and Dale. Not bad, just no longer guaranteed that it will be a Vishay element that you get.

A dual audio taper 50K motorized pot shouldn't be too hard to find, only finding the exact mounting form factor may be iffy. I'd still give dissasembly cleaning a shot.
Doc

So, the replacement arrived, I popped it in, the problem persists.

What the hell!?

Annoyingly I destroyed the old pot as I was curious as to just how messed up inside it was, I found a bunch of crud and even a few small hairs in there.

At this point I'm getting really pissed off at this amplifier, I like the sound the thing makes, but this issue is incredibly aggravating.

The only thing I can think of trying next is replacing the 4.7uF caps someone earlier in the thread suggested?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.