Aragon 4004 slow relay problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,
Was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice as to what this problem might be? I have two Aragon 4004 power amps. When I bought them both speaker relays in both amps were pretty slow to kick in, - maybe 5-10 seconds after the power button was pushed. This has got worse in both amps to the stage where it became a minute of two before the speaker relay activates, - you can hear a rasping sound for a long time before the relay activates.

I changed all the old electrolytic caps in the channel cards of both amps and also all the electrolytic caps in the relay section itself (there are 4 caps in the relay section). This made zero difference to the problem. However I have not changed the old big PSU caps yet, - there are 4 large PSU caps in each amp, - each one a blue Aerovox 17000uF caps. I was thinking its possible the problem is being caused by these old PSU caps taking too much time to give power to the relay section, - is this possible?

Unfortunately now in both amps its got even worse and to the stage where the relays don't activate at all! So its a major problem.
I read this could also be down to DC offset problem and possibly some other issues (like bad components in the relay section) but my hunch is that it seems like not enough juice is getting to the relay for it to switch and its down to the old PSU caps. You can slowly hear the rasping sound as the relay tries to active but fails. I should try changing to PSU caps for sure but they are an odd value. I might have to use 8 10,000uF caps instead in parallel pairs.

Any advice on this relay issue would be really appreciated,
Cheers,
Colin

Last edited:
measure and you will find out ...any simple multimeter will do

connect your multimeter to any point in the output before the relay ...you may aswell do that on the relay ....the other lead will have to go to ground

start up the amp ....observe offset ...if ofset takes time to stabilize then its normal for the relay to take time to click

then observe voltage on the main capacitors after the amplifier is switched off and caps are flat empty ( no volts on them )

start up the amp observe voltage first in the one then in the other cap ....if for any reason voltage take time to bulit or there is any diference from rail to rail then the caps are obviously dead ..

State more about the protection circuit is IC based like 1237 or is it descret ? often if a small calculation error is made while designing the amp electrolytics only will not solve the problem an open or a resistor that has a drifted value might cause that .

Often resistors exposed to thermal stress or moisture roll seriously off original value ...you might as welll check that to.

There might be a problem in the relay drive circuit which is more possile than the main capacitors ( simple reason is that relays operate 12-24 volts and amplifier is working much higher ...)

locate if there is a secondary or auxiliary power supply for the protection or voltage comes from a voltage divider from the "big"power that works for the audio ....

it seems that schematic of the 4004 is available but no info arround the protection circuit looking at it though there might be also an issue with the input of the amplifier ...

do any of the above ...post some pictures arround therelay ...might also help

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I am having problems with an Aragon 4004 similar to the OP. In my case one side takes longer to turn on than the other. I am happy know that changing the relay board caps is not the answer, before I waste money and time on the incorrect solution. Does anybody have the schematic for the relay board? It looks like there are some transistors, and some voltage regulators which might be next suspects.
I'm fairly certain the main filter caps are not the answer (as asked by the OP) in my case, because when the amp turns on, it is normal sounding, with perhaps a (-1) db lower level in the channel that turns on late. However, I wonder about the four electrolytic caps on the output modules - Could they be related? (2x) 1000 mfd 16v, and (2x) 470 mfd 50v on each output module?

Here are

Schematics for the 4004 power supply
Layout for 4004 main boards
Schematics for the 4004 output modules
Schematics for 2004 main PCB (if that's any help).

Hogwild

Attachments

• mondial_designs_aragon_4004_power_supply_system_sch.pdf
    89.2 KB · Views: 187
  • aragon_2004_schematic.pdf
    794.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 4004 output module.pdf
    735.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 4004 board layout.pdf
    117.1 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I took my 4004 to a local tech who couldn't reproduce the problem, so he rebuilt the delay circuit. He replaced the transistors, and he disassembled the relay and cleaned all of the contacts. It works fine now. I had frequently kept the unit powered on. The Aragon manual says not to do this, which is probably good advice, as the tech also replaced a number of heat-damaged capacitors on the signal boards.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.