Pure Reference Class A Monoblock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sound too good to be an 16kg amp, I don't quite see the huge heat sinks that A-class needs. I would think that 2x65W in pure A-class would consume minimum of 300 watts at idle. 130w of max power with 150w consumption is nowhere near possible with pure A-class (consumption under max load should not rise from the idle consumption) so maybe it's some sort of "dynamic A-class" with sliding bias...?

It is also advertised to have fully regulated PSU, which basically means that there is another amp inside the amp (= more losses/inefficiency = more power to dissipate). Maybe the PSU is regulated SMPS, that would explain.

Last edited:
Who knows more about this power amp from Pure Audio (sound quality, circuit topology) ?
go to
Pure Reference Class A Monoblock pureaudio
for looking the short form datas.
Power Consumption = 150 Watts and 2x 65 Watts continuous output power into 8 Ohms is definitely pure Class A. Perhaps even a single ended topology.
Actually if you read it’s a "monoblock" 1x65W not 2x65W so 150W dissipation sounds about right.
Yes, "2x65 watts" was a mistake from me.

Last edited:
OK, but it still won't be better then just under 50%, and I suspect bipolars in CFP will better even lateral Fets.
Of course the more relevant fact is that very few speakers rated at 8R will stay there.
Most will have impedance minima approaching 4R, so this amp will still dip into class B occasionally.

The guys who started this company are ex Plinius and Perreaux. Both well respected companies on the NZ audio scene. I believe their goal is no compromise, quality at any cost. I expect they sound good and being made in NZ they probably compete dollar wise overseas.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.