how can the wattage be?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Am I correct in saying an amp can not be 1000watts when the power consumption on the back of the device says 250w at 50hz?

I have stereo that's 3500watts and I am running it of an Australian power socket which is 240v 10amp = 2400watts

can it really put out more than it is drawing? or is it totally different thing?

Cheers

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It's most likely a PMPO rating (Peak Music Power Output). A completely useless (except for marketing purposes) measure ;)

RMS rating is what you really need to look for. It is a theoretical figure that the amp can possibly produce on a transient for a split second.

If the consumption figure is 250W then you are probably looking at most 100W per channel RMS and most probably lower.

Tony.

learn to read the supporting literature.

100W+100W into 8r0+8r0, both channels driven continuously by 1kHz sinewave with a maximum distortion of 0.1% to stand xxx, is completely to unambiguous.
It is also impossible to get more of this output power continuously, than what is put in continuously.

Change the spec to:
127W+127W into 8r0+8r0, 1kHz gated sinewave, 5% duty factor, to standard xyy, is equally valid.

Similarly:
317W+317W into 8r0 peak instantaneous power to standard zyx is quite possible.

The transformer for all these specifications is likely to be somewhere between 200VA and 500VA.
The labeled power rating could be any number the manufacturer cares to put on the device that they think gives guidance to potential users and operators.

Am I correct in saying an amp can not be 1000watts when the power consumption on the back of the device says 250w at 50hz?
No
Many manufacturers measure the power consumption with 1/8 output power. Then 250w seems reasonable.
I have stereo that's 3500watts and I am running it of an Australian power socket which is 240v 10amp = 2400watts

can it really put out more than it is drawing? or is it totally different thing?
If you listen to music and not sine waves, it is no problem to get peaks of 3500w out of your 2400w socket.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member

Cheers

Watt ;) are the products in question... can you name names ?

The power out cannot exceed the power in. So, you are correct.
I don't even trust RMS ratings unless I know the manufacturer to be reputable and thoroughly honest about their equipment specs.

i have to amps : arcam delta 290 rated 75w 8ohm (150w 4 ?) and cambridge audio 740C rated 100w 8 / 150 4 ohm , with the same speakers (4 ohm) the arcam plays the same " loudness level " at 1/3 volume while with the cambridge i have to go to 1/2 volume

Yes, a reseacher came out to field to weld strain gauges to a cast iron pipe with only a battery powered "attache case".

The peak power at the spot weld must be enormous to melt the strain gauge and the 18mm thick cast iron at the interface. Yet it was all done at 12V and without a dc to dc converter.

i have to amps : arcam delta 290 rated 75w 8ohm (150w 4 ?) and cambridge audio 740C rated 100w 8 / 150 4 ohm , with the same speakers (4 ohm) the arcam plays the same " loudness level " at 1/3 volume while with the cambridge i have to go to 1/2 volume
the position of the volume control has nothing to do with amplifier output voltage/power.

Measure the input and output voltage ratios to find the "gain" at your volume control position for the two amps that sound the same "loudness".

Yes, a reseacher came out to field to weld strain gauges to a cast iron pipe with only a battery powered "attache case".

The peak power at the spot weld must be enormous to melt the strain gauge and the 18mm thick cast iron at the interface. Yet it was all done at 12V and without a dc to dc converter.

Indeed, but I was thinking of conventional 4R or 8R speakers, so I think you'd need to boost the voltage up somewhat..?

Indeed, but I was thinking of conventional 4R or 8R speakers, so I think you'd need to boost the voltage up somewhat..?
I am not arguing against your example.
I believe your post is completely valid.

I am pointing out that there are other examples of where instantaneous peak power is available from "low power" type supplies. My example simply confirms what you are saying.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.