Schematic? Mark Levinson No. 33H - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2011, 01:09 AM   #1
auddoc is offline auddoc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Schematic? Mark Levinson No. 33H

Someone accidentally poured a cup of tea in this big (79Kg) monaural bastard, while powered up....... Apparently she was very cute, so the owner couldn't let his head explode, like he certainly felt doing at the time...it's only money, right? and..besides.....what's a little white smoke in your listening room?

I have a bad feeling though, that I will need the schematic.

Cheers,
Gregg
Old 30th August 2011, 01:17 AM   #2
The one and only

I have the feeling that when you see the schematic you will still need to
send it to the factory.

Old 30th August 2011, 11:59 AM   #3
vossie is offline vossie  Israel
diyAudio Member

Muha ha ha ha ha ha!!! Nice one!
Old 30th August 2011, 01:02 PM   #4
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
try google images, found this

Mark_Levinson No 33H (Schematic diagrams)
Old 30th August 2011, 07:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
send it to the factory.

Care to elaborate?
I got direction to a partial schematic of the output section, only, from a nice gent here on DIY- Thanks, by the way.
I haven't popped the hood or lifted the bonnet on this puppy, so to speak, as of yet....is this the one which reportedly has a 60HZ AC generator built in? Usually the output on those things is saw-tooth or triangular, like those cheap-*** UPS boxes. The only perfect generated AC I have seen is from an HP6811 arbitrary waveform generator....just sayin'..
Other than that, the output and driver section in the 33H just look like a perfectly symmetrical design with a ton of output devices in parallel for muy current............
Stay tuned. It's so physically heavy, that I have to work on the floor- easier to move around.
Old 30th August 2011, 08:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

This is how the No.33 looks like inside: Mark Levinson No.33XLἉ
Old 30th August 2011, 08:48 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Not quite one for the DIY brigade. I can almost see where the price tag comes from.
Old 30th August 2011, 09:29 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Lot's o' stuff

That is fairly impressive from a build-quality point of view. I'm always amazed at the relatively low wattage most of these extreme audiophile amps are designed to put out. The Watt/Kg ratio is very low. In the scheme of things 300 WRMS/ 8-ohm isn't very much. Most living room speaker loads are 6-8 oHm loads, generally. So rating something at 1 ohm, to make the amp read like it has more jam than others, isn't very realistic or even valid spec-wise. On the other hand, it's difficult to spec/ describe numerically, an amp that dumps butt-loads of current. 300/ch is more than is common for the average living room, but not for PA amplifiers. Most PA amps don't sound very good, it's true, but once you've got a great-sounding design ( high speed/ well-damped), just add power supply (big rails +filtering) and a large number of HV output devices. There ARE a couple PA/ studio amps which sound way better than average, IMHO. Hearing a living room system with multi-kilowatt/ active bi/tri-amp per channel potential is really great, if you've never heard it- the dynamic difference in apparent headroom, is the most audible/ obvious aspect. Especially at lower listening levels. Like a super, super clean, short-throw PA system with real bottom end impact. It's hard to go back to 100-200/ch. The speakers need to be matched for higher handling power and excursion, which starts leaning towards studio monitors, which every audiophile should own at least once in their lifetime , if only for perspective. ..the best thing is that you can generally rent this stuff, to temporarily audition it- highly recommended.
I just realized I have described a high-end two channel home theatre system....duh.
Cheers,
Gregg
Old 30th August 2011, 11:22 PM   #9
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by auddoc View Post
Care to elaborate?
I got direction to a partial schematic of the output section, only, from a nice gent here on DIY- Thanks, by the way.
I haven't popped the hood or lifted the bonnet on this puppy, so to speak, as of yet....is this the one which reportedly has a 60HZ AC generator built in? Usually the output on those things is saw-tooth or triangular, like those cheap-*** UPS boxes. The only perfect generated AC I have seen is from an HP6811 arbitrary waveform generator....just sayin'..
Other than that, the output and driver section in the 33H just look like a perfectly symmetrical design with a ton of output devices in parallel for muy current............
Stay tuned. It's so physically heavy, that I have to work on the floor- easier to move around.
To get the full schematics you have to pay 99c. thats not bad for Levinson schamatics, I think they are hard to come by.
Old 1st September 2011, 10:34 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
send it to the factory.
I think the same way.
Similar over-engineered topology (but not similar circuit topology) than Halcro
http://www.halcro.com/pdf/AV-dm10-38Review-Mar10.pdf
But nevertheless definitely not better than a tri-amping system with two Aleph's in the mid- and high frequency aera so as an ordinary good quality public address (PA) high power amp for the bass in a three-way loudspeaker system.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mark Levinson No_33-H output schema.pdf (98.7 KB, 695 views)

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 1st September 2011 at 10:43 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!