difference between these two amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi fellas

could anyone tell me that is there any difference in these two amps???
between this 400W amp:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and this 250W amp:

http://www.free-circuit.com/300-watt-mosfet-real-hi-fi-power-amplifier/

is there noticeable difference between the power of these two amp because I already built that 250W amp and I like to build the 400W amp because I want more power and more windows shaking (this amp as sub amp)
my sub RMS power is 400W and maximum power is 1200W

Last edited:
Uhm, the APEX drawing says 240W in the top left corner....

Upgrading from 250W to 400W will give you a system that plays about 2dB louder.

Punch this into your calculator to verify
10*log10(400/250)

Hardly worth the trouble.

While correct, it's very misleading when discussing ( music) practical use. The 400 watt amp will have better dynamics and control ( all parameters being equal). Typically he will be using between 20-40 watts RMS for standard Din, the bigger amp will allow double the volume ( 10dB ) right up to 40 watts rms, much better dynamically with no compression vs the 250 watter, representing more than a 2 db difference when playing music.

Regards,

Last edited:
Hi badcompany2all,

The RAS300 is my design published around 1989 on my bulletin board at the time (before internet) and later on my web site. The schematic is based on the Hitachi app note at the time when L-MOSFETs became popular. That particular circuit and PCB layout was hi-jacked from my site some years ago. The the 300 is a number which means nothing, I give numbers to my designs, what you read into it is your business.

It is a very nice sounding amp and my later RAS-ELD and some other commercial amps that actually licensed it is based on that circuit with some refinements. Yeah, Goldmund could be a close clone, maybe they also hi-jacked the circuit.

It is good for about 250 watt peak into 8 ohms with 55VDC rails and and 300 watt peak into 4 Ohms with 42 watt rails. Even the text was badly copied on that site.

If you like the rest of the information e-mail me and I will send it to you.

Regards

Nico

Last edited:
Just a matter of interest, the two amps use completely different topology. Apex uses full complimentary symmetry like KRELL, while mine is a dual differential like, obviously Goldmund but I think they were still in the playing pen when I did that design.

Last edited:
Here is a PIC of the very original monobloc prototype made in 89 for a commercial application.

Attachments

• ras250_1.jpg
    ras250_1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 233
  • ras250pic.jpg
    ras250pic.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.