PHASE LINEAR 400 SERIES TWO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know what is wrong with your amp but if you need to replace outputs than match them......and adjust the idle again. If you need I have some information ......
At the end check it for oscillations and instabilities at clipping....maybe you will need to install some caps to reduce such things.....And finally. If you want to upgrade it be careful. For an example. you can expect some problems if input op amp is replaced with some other type.....
Feel free to ask. I have some experience with those ,,PL,, amps.
Best regards, Taj

:2c: AFAIK the Phase Linear series two amps were built after Carver sold the company to Pioneer - So probably had some Pioneer engineers in the differences between the series two and earlier designs - Like full complimentary symmetry and Japanese outputs. Just my 2 cents.

ok ...this got to be some medium state unit it works with LF356 and outputs are xpl 909 driven by an RCA 66546

eventhough in the service manual are writen all available options like MJ15024 or 2SD555 ( very helpfull of them )

Good machine to play with i think ...
i wonder how happy this amp will be if opamps are replaced to something more modern ...

Nice weekend toy for me

kind regards sakis

thanks tief for the links
i dont have troubles fixing it ....what worth the idea though is to see if it can be upgraded succesfully

allready been changing all capacitors introduced some styroflex and silvermicas and many metal film resistors
arround the weekend i am willing to play with various op amps ( there is going to be tricky i think since slow output configuration will not like a fast op amp but will see for that also )
then verify all the above while taking a look at the service bulletin kindly provided by the manufacturer

will see

thanks again ..
sakis

here is a joke !!!

Last time i had the chance to talk with Bob ( long time ago ) was still in the sunfire company so i said ok lets give the guy a call !!!

call the sunfire then nice and polite girl comes on the phone and after the typical "please hold " "what is your name " and a few more bla bla bla she goes
>how may i help you?
> i just called to find out how is Bob doing these days
> Bob ? who is Bob ?
> Bob Carver of course i say
> she goes : sorry sir i am new here and i am not familiar with this name . do you know where is this Bob working? is he a tech or accounter ?
>I say he used to be the owner of the company
>one minute quite .... please hold sir
> ..... holding for 3 minutes ... about
> Girls says to me that you may find mister carver at carver service .com
>.... Thank you very much ....

and ...have a nice day ...

I don't know what is wrong with your amp but if you need to replace outputs than match them......and adjust the idle again. If you need I have some information ......
At the end check it for oscillations and instabilities at clipping....maybe you will need to install some caps to reduce such things.....And finally. If you want to upgrade it be careful. For an example. you can expect some problems if input op amp is replaced with some other type.....
Feel free to ask. I have some experience with those ,,PL,, amps.
Best regards, Taj
Hello! What should I do with Phase Linear Model 400 Series II
to protect the speakers
1 I need to keep it cold?
2 Do not listen very loud?
3 to change the scheme? radio parts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.